Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out detecting this morning close to a fresh water pond where a lot had been cleared for a new home. Top soil was already gone. Just hard packed sand. Noticed an area of broken shells. I assume they were fresh water clams so close to the pond. I detected the area and found a couple of musket balls right on the surface but this copper strap of sort was down much deeper in the very hard pack sand. It sure looks old to me. I thought 1600's maybe? Reminds me of the Mid evil caldrons or kettle. So I found this reproduction Viking kettle image online and thought wow, Viking were suppose to have visited Cape Cod. Clear fresh water was a attraction to sea travelers. Also has a strange crisscross marking on one side. Weighs 3.65 oz. Made with thick copper sheeting. Any comments welcome. Thanks.

Attachments

• copper strap 1.jpg
    copper strap 1.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 86
  • copper strap 2.jpg
    copper strap 2.jpg
    200.8 KB · Views: 53
  • DSC_0053 (2).JPG
    DSC_0053 (2).JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 59
  • viking kettle.jpg
    viking kettle.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:
Upvote 10

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Cool riveted copper piece.
Sure has some age to it.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Went out detecting this morning close to a fresh water pond where a lot had been cleared for a new home. Top soil was already gone. Just hard packed sand. Noticed an area of broken shells. I assume they were fresh water clams so close to the pond. I detected the area and found a couple of musket balls right on the surface but this copper strap of sort was down much deeper in the very hard pack sand. It sure looks old to me. I thought 1600's maybe? Reminds me of the Mid evil caldrons or kettle. So I found this reproduction Viking kettle image online and thought wow, Viking were suppose to have visited Cape Cod. Clear fresh water was a attraction to sea travelers. Also has a strange crisscross marking on one side. Weighs 3.65 oz. Made with thick copper sheeting. Any comments welcome. Thanks.
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions