🥇 BANNER Unusual find this morning @-120ft depth...a -30 BC find during scuba detection

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
Greece, French Riviera, Switzerland, North Italy
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Hi guys,

I was out this morning for a quick dive with my new Ebinger UW 722C PI detector and I had a few very very deep signals. To be honest they where so deep I couldn't dig them as I was diving on my own down 120/130 feet (I know it's bad :nono:). Diving configuration Rebreather Nitrox 32/68 gas mix with 50% Oxygen poni for spare & deco.

I was digging what appears to be "clother signals" for this detector and look what I've uncovered: an eyeball partial wine Amphora which appears to be from -30 BC -> +30 Period.

It looks it is originating from south spain / portugal. Feel free to ask questions :-)
I have shot with my Gopro..will push the video on my Youtub channel when I'll have time.But I have to arrange an other dive with mates to help me retrieving the metal objects I've located but was unable to uncover.

917711amphora2.jpg

282411amphora5.jpg

475171amphora6.jpg

473038amphora7.jpg

742935amphora8.jpg

549887amphora9.jpg

713633amphora10.jpg

948858sentiersousmarinld.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030, Excalibur IIS, Sea Hunter MK II, Ebinger Seacon, Quest Pro, XP Deus, Deteknix Quest Pro, Makro Pointer, Xpointer diver & Wader
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice find! Personally, I think solo diving is just part of the reality of technical diving, no complaints here. Just be careful for the only item not redundant (your brain) : )

Thanks fingerpilot... I appreciate your "Experienced Reply". When I teach diving (it arrives), not sure the "students" can be of any help in case of an accident...

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks fingerpilot... I appreciate your "Experienced Reply". When I teach diving (it arrives), not sure the "students" can be of any help in case of an accident...

I did a lot of open circuit deep cave exploration back in the 90s. We had a saying then: "Every dive is a solo dive" (meaning ultimately you are solo, because your buddy may not be able to help when you need him). Sometimes passages were just too tight for two people.

I'm looking forward to seeing your future finds at this spot. Should be interesting.

Last edited:
OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a lot of deep cave exploration back in the 90s. We had a saying then: "Every dive is a solo dive"

Cave diving ? So you are an excellent diver, even better then the Lake divers. I'm not a diver who appreciate "scuba for scuba", I only dive in places of interest and almost only to metal detect.

flgliderpilot

Bronze Member
Apr 28, 2015
Saint Augustine, FL
Detector(s) used
CZ-21, Minelab Equinox, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only dive in places of interest and almost only to metal detect.

Yes, same here. I only dove for work or for caves, and only because the biggest caves in Florida are underwater so there was no other way to explore them. I have not done any diving for 10 years but I've been wanting to do some underwater detecting. Your pictures made me excited to finish gathering gear to do that!

Hope you find gold :)

tony curnick

Oct 14, 2014
Benoni
Detector(s) used
Garret At pro,Garret seahunter Mk 2,Minelab etrac,Minelab 305,one and a half surfmaster pi's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow!....awesome hunting and a great find our

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, same here. I only dove for work or for caves, and only because the biggest caves in Florida are underwater so there was no other way to explore them. I have not done any diving for 10 years but I've been wanting to do some underwater detecting. Your pictures made me excited to finish gathering gear to do that!

Hope you find gold :)

... and ice :laughing9:

Wow!....awesome hunting and a great find our

Thanks Tony and welcome to the beach section of TNET

Zodiacdiverdave

Silver Member
Mar 18, 2011
The North Atlantic Ocean
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, AT Pro, Sea Hunter II, JW Fisher Proton Magnatometer, Shovel, Hammer and chisel
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's an excellent find Frogmaster, congrats. I think I will be voting Banner on this. We just don't see enough diving finds up on the top and seeing how old this baby is I would say it deserves to up there.
See you on the bottom buddy,
ZDD

joeyfresh

Bronze Member
Dec 19, 2006
Colonial Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Teknetics T2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What's your YouTube channel? I would love to see your videos!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That's an excellent find Frogmaster, congrats. I think I will be voting Banner on this. We just don't see enough diving finds up on the top and seeing how old this baby is I would say it deserves to up there.
See you on the bottom buddy,
ZDD

Hi ZZD & all other how liked this find!

Last time I made a find that I want (can) share with you, I've posted in the Beach section, had a lot of messages, like...but just a few Nominate Banner. several weeks later, Mods finally prized it. They've explained that, if they strictly stick to the votes, it could be nominated.

=> if you appreciate a find, a "like is not enough"
=> write on your post "nominate banner" is not enough

You need to use right top RED box and fill in the form + submission

Now for "our section" within TNET... it's a bit like Texas and the United States.... you need a different passport :thumbsup:

Of course when we post our finds directly in this section, we can't compete with the "todays find" figures but the public here is mich more receptive to water related finds.

We have been a few to "suffer" from posting inmediatly our finds in this section and got finally recognized (had a banner find) after a review from the Mods.

This beeing said, I did a last trial with this find and post it on the todays find section and asked to move it to here where I think members can share we me the pleasure and the personal value of such find.

I rarely mention it (but easy to catch) English is my third language after French and German So forgive me for my the vocabulary limitation.

Hydro Man

Aug 19, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000 OBN RPP & GGA
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow! How did I not see this one sooner!
As usual Mr FrogMaster, takin' it to the limit of what's possible and uncovering more amazing history!
Thanks for sharing with us!

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Hydro!

This find was originally post in the Today's find section and I thought it didn't found its public, so I decided to move it to the Beach section recently ;-)

You have you answer

FM +++

MiamiFox

Aug 2, 2013
Miami Florida
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030. Excal II, Garrett AT Pro, Howie Scoop
Colt Python .357 6"
Winchester 94 30-30
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Wow that's an amazing find. I voted banner even though it's not made of metal its a part of world history. Makes you wonder what it was like back then who made it who drank from it how did it get there a lot of things. Thanks for sharing.

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow that's an amazing find. I voted banner even though it's not made of metal its a part of world history. Makes you wonder what it was like back then who made it who drank from it how did it get there a lot of things. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks MF :-)

I can tell you Potteries, especially Antiques ones do response to metal detect signals :laughing9:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Coinmaster Pro, Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing. That is absolutely incredible. You are living a dream out there! Stay healthy and get us posted on what else you find.

Crispin

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for sharing. That is absolutely incredible. You are living a dream out there! Stay healthy and get us posted on what else you find.

Crispin

Thanks Crispin! My decting mates are currently on vacation and all our scuba equipment (regs, tanks, BCs) are currently under maintenance but will be back home before the end of feb.

We did 97 dives last year on my diving computer, at least 68 of them were with a detector in hand.

Our new little ROV gave us the opportunity to discover new spots and especially one from where this amphore comes from. It is a bit deep, starting at 125ft and seems to floor at 380ft so dives are short and when can only dive once per expedition, due to the exponentional decompression stage that we have to face.

We have ordered extra pure oxygen tanks to shorten our decompression stage and give us several more minutes underwater.

The depth of this spot is between Nitrox max floor and Trimix(helium) ground... so we use Regular Air Mix with pur oxygen decompression. To give you a few figures when we dive at 200ft:

10' @200ft : deepstop 20ft of 2' + deepstop 10ft of 6'
15' @200ft : deepstop 30ft of 1' + DStop 20ft of 4' + DStop 10ft of 19'
20' @200ft : deepstop 30ft of 3' + Dstop 20ft of 8' + Dstop 10ft of 32'

To resume:

10' metal detect on the seabed = 8 minutes of decompression
15' detection = 24 minutes deco
20' detection = 43 minutes deco

Decompression = waiting and breathing under the boat in open sea. Of course when breathing a 80%. pure oxygen mix under the boat during the decompression stage can reduce by nearly half the time to wait.

Last edited:

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks Crispin! My decting mates are currently on vacation and all our scuba equipment (regs, tanks, BCs) are currently under maintenance but will be back home before the end of feb.

We did 97 dives last year on my diving computer, at least 68 of them were with a detector in hand.

Our new little ROV gave us the opportunity to discover new spots and especially one from where this amphore comes from. It is a bit deep, starting at 125ft and seems to floor at 380ft so dives are short and when can only dive once per expedition, due to the exponentional decompression stage that we have to face.

We have ordered extra pure oxygen tanks to shorten our decompression stage and give us several more minutes underwater.

The depth of this spot is between Nitrox max floor and Trimix(helium) ground... so we use Regular Air Mix with pur oxygen decompression. To give you a few figures when we dive at 200ft:

10' @200ft : deepstop 20ft of 2' + deepstop 10ft of 6'
15' @200ft : deepstop 30ft of 1' + DStop 20ft of 4' + DStop 10ft of 19'
20' @200ft : deepstop 30ft of 3' + Dstop 20ft of 8' + Dstop 10ft of 32'

To resume:

10' metal detect on the seabed = 8 minutes of decompression
15' detection = 24 minutes deco
20' detection = 43 minutes deco

Decompression = waiting and breathing under the boat in open sea. Of course when breathing a 80%. pure oxygen mix under the boat during the decompression stage can reduce by nearly half the time to wait.

That is some cool chemistry. The science of the human body and getting deeper under water is pretty complex. I am assuming the 100 percent oxygen removes the overall amount of nitrogen in the body. Is there a baseline percentage of free NO in the bloodstream or does it all have to do with the binding to Hemoglobin? I'm assuming with the higher percent of oxygen it lowers the overall level of nitrogen in the body. Do you then breath off nitrogen while submerged? In other words. Do you start the dive with a higher percentage of NO and then by the end of the dive (using pure oxygen) have a significantly lower percentage in the body?

Last question:
Is there a danger of converting over to the hypoxic drive while underwater with 100 percent oxygen? I am assuming that nobody with COPD would attempt to dive, but I wonder if there have been cases of spontaneous conversion due to the saturation of oxygen receptors.

Very cool stuff,
Crispin

OP
OP
frogmaster-riviera

frogmaster-riviera

Bronze Member
Oct 22, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
That is some cool chemistry. The science of the human body and getting deeper under water is pretty complex. I am assuming the 100 percent oxygen removes the overall amount of nitrogen in the body. Is there a baseline percentage of free NO in the bloodstream or does it all have to do with the binding to Hemoglobin? I'm assuming with the higher percent of oxygen it lowers the overall level of nitrogen in the body. Do you then breath off nitrogen while submerged? In other words. Do you start the dive with a higher percentage of NO and then by the end of the dive (using pure oxygen) have a significantly lower percentage in the body?

Yes we start to dive with nitrox 32/68 with a Max PPO2 of 1,6 which can be used down to 138ft. By lowerîg the nitrogen into thebreathing mix, it lowers the narcosis AND the decompression (nitrogen reversibilty). We the n switch to reg Ai mix down to 200-230 ft, a 24/76.

Last question:
Is there a danger of converting over to the hypoxic drive while underwater with 100 percent oxygen? I am assuming that nobody with COPD would attempt to dive, but I wonder if there have been cases of spontaneous conversion due to the saturation of oxygen receptors.

Helium, Trimix hypoxic in your case is always use for depth over 230/250ft down to ++450ft but is not breathable 0 to 90ft due to the lack of oxygen partial pressure in the mix. Nitrox is again used for the first stage.

In our cas we don't use Trimix because most of my scuba detecting mates don't have a rebreather because of $$$. Using Helium in Open Circuit is $$$$ also = $250 for 9m3 which reprent approx 4 dives.
Pure oxygen (divox) is $60 for 10m3.

The use of pure oxygen is great for desaturationcacceleration compred to regular air mix and secures the process. Concerning COPD, the use of pure oxygen is only possible at low depth less then 30ft or if you want deepstop you can use 50/50 or 80/20. When you have a Trimix rebreather, the best mix is calculate and generate on the fly :thumbsup: the always remains below 1,6ppoe or in any case below 2,O during a short period of time.

To answer you question... the most dramatic case with the use of oxygen is a PPO2 too high or too low: rebrether oxygen valve remains open = death, remain close or nearly close= death. Also when diving in open circuit you can be confuse anfd use the oxygen reg and not the trimix one....

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Crispin,

Just so you know Frogmaster is a whizz at theoretical physics so you two Einstein types should hit it off.....lol..

Regards + HH

Bill

Crispin

Silver Member
Jun 26, 2012
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Helium, Trimix hypoxic in your case is always use for depth over 230/250ft down to ++450ft but is not breathable 0 to 90ft due to the lack of oxygen partial pressure in the mix. Nitrox is again used for the first stage.

In our cas we don't use Trimix because most of my scuba detecting mates don't have a rebreather because of $$$. Using Helium in Open Circuit is $$$$ also = $250 for 9m3 which reprent approx 4 dives.
Pure oxygen (divox) is $60 for 10m3.

The use of pure oxygen is great for desaturationcacceleration compred to regular air mix and secures the process. Concerning COPD, the use of pure oxygen is only possible at low depth less then 30ft or if you want deepstop you can use 50/50 or 80/20. When you have a Trimix rebreather, the best mix is calculate and generate on the fly :thumbsup: the always remains below 1,6ppoe or in any case below 2,O during a short period of time.

To answer you question... the most dramatic case with the use of oxygen is a PPO2 too high or too low: rebrether oxygen valve remains open = death, remain close or nearly close= death. Also when diving in open circuit you can be confuse anfd use the oxygen reg and not the trimix one....

Thanks for the education. The addition of Helium makes perfect sense. I wonder if they could substitute any of the other noble gases. My guess is that Helium is the cheapest but I imagine anything with an 8 electron valence shell would suffice. I was always curious if the body would convert over to the hypoxic drive from the hypercapenic drive in that type of environment. I've never really had a reason to study diving. I imagine it is an area of medicine that could use some significant research. I bet the Navy has some significant data they are not sharing. I actually found a USB port from a Navy Seal off of Little Creek Amphibious. I gave it to a friend to decode and when he figured out what it was he destroyed it. The first layer of stuff I was able to access to without knowing how to get further was just basic medicine and natural gas laws. Something the NFL and patriots have yet to understand. ..

Anyhow, thanks for sharing your info. I will definitely be following your posts.

Crispin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread