🔎 UNIDENTIFIED Unusual Horseshoe

MDReed

Apr 18, 2022
Found this horse shoe while regrading an old farm lane, that ran beside an old railroad. I'm curious as to the shape. What was the purpose of the extra bend? And what was the purpose of the piece attached to it?

Attachments

• DSCF1727.JPG
    DSCF1727.JPG
    784.8 KB · Views: 131
  • DSCF1728.JPG
    DSCF1728.JPG
    969.3 KB · Views: 58
  • DSCF1729.JPG
    DSCF1729.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 57
  • DSCF1731.JPG
    DSCF1731.JPG
    923.9 KB · Views: 55
  • DSCF1733.JPG
    DSCF1733.JPG
    911.3 KB · Views: 50
OP
OP
M

MDReed

Apr 18, 2022
I searched the old threads, a few other groups, and google, found lots of pics of various types of corrective shoes. But in all that searching, I've not found one with the outward extension this one has. That's the part I'm really curious about.

Upvote 2

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I searched the old threads, a few other groups, and google, found lots of pics of various types of corrective shoes. But in all that searching, I've not found one with the outward extension this one has. That's the part I'm really curious about.
Silly me! I actually went and looked at your pics like I should have.Are you sure it,s a horse shoe? What about nail holes? Just a thought but maybe it,s not a horse shoe,in the interest of IDing it.

Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,ve gotten stuck like this before by getting to invested in my first guess. I don,t have any alternative except some kind of hook,call me Capt.Obvious!

Upvote 1
OP
OP
M

MDReed

Apr 18, 2022
Silly me! I actually went and looked at your pics like I should have.Are you sure it,s a horse shoe? What about nail holes? Just a thought but maybe it,s not a horse shoe,in the interest of IDing it.
Definite nail holes, rectangular, in the right alignment for a shoe. One is visible in pic 5. I took a scrub brush & water to it, 2 more opened up, others visible, but clogged with rust. By the looks of the wear, whatever was attached to it, was on the bottom, and appears to be hammered rather than modern weld. The one leg of it appears to be hammered layers. I'm sure it was made on an anvil. I found it buried in a farm lane, that went from road to barn along side a RR, under the fill that had fallen from the bank. The farm dates from late 1860s, RR mid 1870s. Last use as a farm & last trains were both 1970s. I'll try to take some better pics once it dries.

Upvote 1

pa plateau hiker

Bronze Member
Jul 15, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found shoes like that. A couple had both ends bent at a right angle. Repurposed for some reason, but what for? Maybe the bent part was pounded into wood and something was placed in the U part of the shoe.

Upvote 2

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked my Amish blacksmith today about that shoe. he told me it was a corrective type shoe to make the horses feet stand closer together .
Showed me a picture of it Went on the outside

Upvote 4

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread