✅ SOLVED Unusual Italian Gold Shipping Medal. Rescuer?

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites (CM 5000, XLT, VX3) and Minelab (Svgn GT & Excal III & Equinox)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My brother and I found this in an auction lot. It’s an 18k Gold medallion / medal. I googled around for a bit and came up with a few facts: Carbonavi is part the Lolli-Ghetti family shipping empire. The ship “Mey Lolli-Ghetti” was built In 1967 in Mahgra shipping yard. The ships registries available online list her as “decommissioned or lost”. Its a heavy good medallion weighing 19.88 grams. It’s the size of a US half-dollar. The back has the total dead weight of the ship.

I’m wondering if it might be a rescue medal that was awarded to somebody. Curious if anybody has any other ideas? I don’t know anything about this genre Im basically limited to google research right now because I don’t have access to any big libraries. Thanks very much.

Attachments

• A5B947C4-0BC9-4223-B0F1-C27FFAB4A6A0.jpeg
    A5B947C4-0BC9-4223-B0F1-C27FFAB4A6A0.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 148
  • D7EFF030-EF19-4CB3-B7A6-CAA89A3B3D32.jpeg
    D7EFF030-EF19-4CB3-B7A6-CAA89A3B3D32.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 65
  • A17FCB59-5661-4642-8CAF-8C32D0874045.jpeg
    A17FCB59-5661-4642-8CAF-8C32D0874045.jpeg
    811.1 KB · Views: 60

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well being 18k gold I'd probably not be so concerned on what is all about, but I would have to think it's for some really special commission and can't believe there'd be a whole lot of them out there. Looks to me like an oil tanker being of 45'000 Tons Deadweight.

Last edited:
Upvote 5
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Tamrock. My main interest in the purpose is, unfortunately, because I'm going to end up selling it - and I don't want to refine it if it's worth more as a collectible.

I see that the gold hallmark on the right side by "I" Carbonavi was only in use up until roughly 1968 and this ship was sailing as late as 1974 - so I guess my rescue theory is off the table. Maybe as you said, something when the ship was first commissioned.

Interestingly I did find reference to a "Rescue" medal for another lolli-ghetti ship, here (link and screenshot below):
https://forum.shipspotting.com/index.php?topic=7690.0

1657273826764.png

Upvote 3

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I researched this a little. Most of the documents are in Italian, of course, and Bing translator only does a mediocre job turning them to English. My interpretation is muddled at best.

My understanding is, the Marigola was built in 1964 and purchased by Lolli-Ghetti and renamed Carbonavi in 1969. Apparently, the shipping company was very successful at that time. Geo-political circumstances greatly impacted the oil industry in 1973, forcing Lolli-Ghetti to sell their fleet in 1974. Although it may have been "sold" to other members of the Lolli-Ghetti family. The Carbonavi was "broken up" in Taiwan in 1986.

I'm guessing your medallion is from the ship's inauguration with the Lolli-Ghetti company - but I can't prove it... I get the sense that these guys were rock stars in the shipping industry at the time so they likely had money to burn on little gold trinkets for crew members of their new ships... But again, I can't prove it...

1964-Marigola.png

The Marigola - 1964

Upvote 4

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20g of 18K gold is a good find, whatever the item might be.

The Lolli-Ghetti bulk carrier “Mey” was indeed built in 1967 but apparently re-registered as the “Nai Mey” in 1974 or thereabouts. Lloyds Register reports her as having been subsequently sold for scrap and broken up in 1985. The only accident record for her that I could find was on 17th February 1978 (but as “Nai Mey”) when she grounded without damage on the St Lawrence River near Montreal.

I have also seen medallions with the same LG flag design and the company name “CARBONAVI” [which was founded in 1955] identical to yours but with no indication of a particular ship. Those were in silver, with the flag not enamelled.

As I understand it, the gold “rescue medal” for the Giovnna referred to above (which isn’t pictured) is dated for the sinking in 1974. Many shipping companies have issued these kinds of medallions in recognition of maiden voyages, outstanding seamanship and other service achievements. I would think this one probably falls into that category rather than being a rescue medal.

Upvote 6

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just saw Matt's reply after I posted mine. I don't think "CARBONAVI" is the name of the ship. I believe the ship is the "Mey", depicted with it's name on the other side. The Carbonavi company was founded in 1955 by Glauco Lolli-Ghetti to expand the fleet of the Scorpio Group and that's the company flag and name.

Last edited:
Upvote 5

DCMatt

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2006
Herndon Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, EX II, & Musketeer, White's Classic
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Lust saw Matt's reply after I posted mine. I don't think "CARBONAVI" is the name of the ship. I believe the ship is the "Mey", depicted with it's name on the other side. The Carbonavi company was founded in 1955 by Glauco Lolli-Ghetti to expand the fleet of the Scorpio Group and that's the company flag and name.
You are correct. I misinterpreted information. Carbonavi S.p,A. was the shipping company not the ship. The ship pictured in my post was part of the Carbonavi fleet, The Marigola was later renamed the Silvana Lolli-Ghetti, then NAI Silvana (NAI = Navigazione Alta Italia?).

Upvote 3
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I researched this a little. Most of the documents are in Italian, of course, and Bing translator only does a mediocre job turning them to English. My interpretation is muddled at best.

My understanding is, the Marigola was built in 1964 and purchased by Lolli-Ghetti and renamed Carbonavi in 1969. Apparently, the shipping company was very successful at that time. Geo-political circumstances greatly impacted the oil industry in 1973, forcing Lolli-Ghetti to sell their fleet in 1974. Although it may have been "sold" to other members of the Lolli-Ghetti family. The Carbonavi was "broken up" in Taiwan in 1986.

I'm guessing your medallion is from the ship's inauguration with the Lolli-Ghetti company - but I can't prove it... I get the sense that these guys were rock stars in the shipping industry at the time so they likely had money to burn on little gold trinkets for crew members of their new ships... But again, I can't prove it...

1964-Marigola.png

The Marigola - 1964
Thanks very much

Upvote 2

Jorgeke

Bronze Member
Oct 13, 2021
My brother and I found this in an auction lot. It’s an 18k Gold medallion / medal. I googled around for a bit and came up with a few facts: Carbonavi is part the Lolli-Ghetti family shipping empire. The ship “Mey Lolli-Ghetti” was built In 1967 in Mahgra shipping yard. The ships registries available online list her as “decommissioned or lost”. Its a heavy good medallion weighing 19.88 grams. It’s the size of a US half-dollar. The back has the total dead weight of the ship.

I’m wondering if it might be a rescue medal that was awarded to somebody. Curious if anybody has any other ideas? I don’t know anything about this genre Im basically limited to google research right now because I don’t have access to any big libraries. Thanks very much.
Another fact…

Very nice finding 👍🏽

Upvote 2
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

1964-Marigola.png

The Marigola - 1964
Thanks very much. Extremely helpful.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
randazzo1

randazzo1

Bronze Member
Feb 1, 2006
New York, NY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
20g of 18K gold is a good find, whatever the item might be.

The Lolli-Ghetti bulk carrier “Mey” was indeed built in 1967 but apparently re-registered as the “Nai Mey” in 1974 or thereabouts. Lloyds Register reports her as having been subsequently sold for scrap and broken up in 1985. The only accident record for her that I could find was on 17th February 1978 (but as “Nai Mey”) when she grounded without damage on the St Lawrence River near Montreal.

I have also seen medallions with the same LG flag design and the company name “CARBONAVI” [which was founded in 1955] identical to yours but with no indication of a particular ship. Those were in silver, with the flag not enamelled.

As I understand it, the gold “rescue medal” for the Giovnna referred to above (which isn’t pictured) is dated for the sinking in 1974. Many shipping companies have issued these kinds of medallions in recognition of maiden voyages, outstanding seamanship and other service achievements. I would think this one probably falls into that category rather than being a rescue medal.
Thank you very much. That’s extremely helpful.

Upvote 1

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread