UPDATE: New Features Found on Hammerstone

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

It stood out amongst a bunch of flakes and chips and it's not often I find rocks like this in this area. It also had some wear on it that caught my eye. After consultation with some of you I went back and looked at this stone. Well, turns out I was looking at the wrong features before, but it has all the right ones!

Before I posted abraded edges, seen here:

Abrasion.jpeg Abrasion 2.jpeg

Now, after talking to you all, I went back and grabbed the stone. I realized that when held in hand, all the worn edges were in contact with my hand:

In Hand.jpg

Not only that, but there is a nice dimple in this rock where the thumb fits. You can see in this photo that the area where the palm and thumb lay appear worn and smooth:

Thumb Dimple.jpg

The other side is concaved. That's where your middle, ring, and pink finger lay.
Concave.jpg

Similar to the thumb area, there's a comfortable groove and a smoothed region where the pointer fingers lay:
Pointer.jpg Pointer2.jpg

And what you all said to look for was signs of battering. Well, opposite of the natural "handle" on this rock, it's battered! I hadn't even paid attention to this before.
Battered 3.jpg
Battered2.jpg

Last, here's a view of the whole rock from the concave side as well as the arrowhead that was found 10 feet away. This whole area was also littered in flakes and chips.
Battered.jpg Guilford.jpg

So, with all that said: (1) thank you for the information, I went back and looked at this rock with a totally new perspective after my first post and (2) I would love to hear your thoughts and comments!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Missouri Breaks

Mar 21, 2021
CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two very cool finds. Always great to find hard stone pieces with chipped/points.

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see potential indications of use in several locations.

A person will grab a rock however it naturally fits their hand for the intended working motion. In my opinion, if there was a rough spot that was uncomfortable, a person might peck it away….they might also just toss the stone and grab another that is better suited because it simply wasn’t worth the effort. Point being, don’t get too focused on how it was held. Our hands were made to grasp stones especially well!!

Last edited:
OP
OP
G

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great point Tesoro. I use these forums a lot to learn, and this was my first brush up with a hammerstone. You mentioned that you see several indications of use, and I’m curious to look at this rock from your perspective. So could you point out the features that you feel indicate potential use?

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I’m no expert and only used mostly my common sense.

Couple things can help the case for not so obvious ancient tools.
Context - if the suspect was found amidst other obvious artifacts.
If the suspect has characteristics that stand out as being different than surrounding environment.
If the cortex has been chipped or worn away.

Edit: finally if the lithic is especially suited for the intended task.

These things are all check marks in the positive column.

I see areas where it appears the cortex has been worn away by nature or human hands.
Really will never know for sure on objects that saw little use. I’ve got a few laying around myself.

Last edited:

Tesorodeoro

Bronze Member
Jan 21, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is an example of cortex.
A suspect of mine. Pretty sure it was a basalt core that may have been used as a hammer stone.
Found within 100’ of several encampments...the basalt is not common in the immediate area...there are basalt flakes in the area...it’s been struck on all sides.

You can see the cortex remaining on the left side. Nothing exciting compared to most of what is posted here..but exciting to me that I’m learning the subtle things to look for. Many times all you will get is a nod here. No way of knowing for sure other than study the knowledge that is shared here.

If my driveway was rocked with basalt pit-run, I’d have chucked it into the brush...context matters.
F52B81F0-1B38-4014-85FF-8812A9612D09.jpeg

0747691D-329C-42C6-957B-92A7755FDEF1.jpeg

Last edited:

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a feeling if you busted that hammerstone open it would be the same material as what you have in your point.

unclemac

Gold Member
Oct 12, 2011
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
it may have been used to bash a few things but it wasn't modified to do so.

OP
OP
G

GrouseMan

Mar 2, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Edgychris, I'm in upstate South Carolina, along the foothills of the Blue Ridge.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread