Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I posted about this the other day, but have since learned a few things new and taken better pictures, as well as cut a window into it.

Sorry about the novel, but I'm really fascinated by this thing and can't seem to even get close to ID'ing it.

1. Rock registers as iron on the Ace 200. Solid 18-20. But, barely magnetic. Had to hold magnet on string to get it to attract.
2. Size is about 1.5 inches. Heavy, with Specific Gravity between 5-7.
3. Found behind where an old house stood until 1960. Land has been undisturbed since. No industrial activity, etc, in the area.
4. NEW: Does not spark at all when I cut into with angle grinder.
5. NEW: Relatively soft - able to scratch with the end of a pocket knife.
6. I've ruled out slag because it's much denser and has no air pockets, and no spark.
7. Ruled out magnetite because it is just barely magnetic, and no spark when cut.
8. Ruled out hematite, as it leaves a definite gray streak. And again, no spark.
9. Have considered both manganese and zinc, as they have both been found in this general area of Georgia. But they are generally found in smaller quantities in other rocks.
10. Meteorite seems unlikely, as only 20 have ever been found in Georgia, plus it's only weakly attracted to a magnet - and the streak seems too strong for what I've researched about meteorites.

Rock appears darker than this, but I've edited the photos to bring out detail a little better.
09866.jpg

A view of the window I cut
444.jpg

aaaa.jpg

ccc.jpg

746d.jpg

invent4hir

Bronze Member
Aug 1, 2017
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i & DFX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A positive hot rock(?): Positive hot rocks are usually iron-bearing rocks which have been oxidized by natural weathering processes. They are typically small in size and found up towards the surface. They are most often reddish in color, but can also be black, brown or even yellow. Positive hot rocks are not always attracted to a magnet.

For more info see https://www.minelab.com/community/treasure-talk/hot-rocks-part-1

Upvote 1

xaos

Bronze Member
Jul 3, 2018
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
...sorry but you are wasting everyones time on this forum.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Charlie - iron ore seems to make the most sense on the surface, at least. And hematite is a type of iron ore, I believe. And mine sure looks like hematite. The color of the streak is throwing me off, but I reckon rocks can do weird things sometimes. I may have to give up on this one.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
Dougie Webb

Dougie Webb

Jun 14, 2019
Stone Mountain, Georgia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F5
Garrett Ace 200
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
If anyone's still following this :) - I went ahead and busted this wide open since I realized that the "window" I cut wouldn't accurately reflect the inside because the blade of the angle grinder sheared the metal, and made it look quite different. As heavy as it is, I think, as Charlie said, that it should be some sort of iron ore. Still getting thrown by the gray streak it leaves - because if it were a chunk of magnetite this size, it would much more easily attract a magnet. This barely does.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

1.jpg

Upvote 1

Julieb

Oct 3, 2021
Ohio fairfield county
Primary Interest:
Other
If anyone's still following this :) - I went ahead and busted this wide open since I realized that the "window" I cut wouldn't accurately reflect the inside because the blade of the angle grinder sheared the metal, and made it look quite different. As heavy as it is, I think, as Charlie said, that it should be some sort of iron ore. Still getting thrown by the gray streak it leaves - because if it were a chunk of magnetite this size, it would much more easily attract a magnet. This barely does.

Anyway, thanks for looking!

View attachment 1930290
No mica or pyrite? Can't tell if its more silver or goldish colorlol

Upvote 1

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I,m not a rock guy,but you did about every thing right to get your rock IDed.Nice info you provided,that,s the way to do it. Even a plain old rock deserves to be IDed if that,s asked.

Upvote 0

Almy

Bronze Member
Mar 18, 2011
Maritime Provinces
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree if someone is interested in their find and asks for help IDing it we should do our best, regardless of whether we think it is important or valuable. Most of what I find is important only to me and not of any monetary value but it is lots of fun to research it and have discussions about it here.

Upvote 3

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread