Upgrade for $200?

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Tracker IV, Compadre, Vanquish 440, Simplex
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been using a Tracker IV for many years now and have to say that I'm thoroughly impressed with it. I originally intended to use it until I could afford a better one,...but it just worked so well that I just kept using it. I also bought a Compadre some time ago...it's a decent beeper but it's ultra simple interface doesn't really do it for me.

So can I get a truly better detector for $200 or less?

The Fisher F22 for example.

Any input much appreciated!

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 XP Deus 2 Vanquish 540
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Never used Fisher F22, so I can't speak for it. The only decent detectors I've used around that price recently are the Minelab Vanquish 340 ($199) and the Nokta Simplex ($254). Either of them would be a major upgrade for you.

Slingshot

Bronze Member
Apr 3, 2004
Southern Appalachia
Detector(s) used
Whites CM2 BFO, Harbor Freight 9 function, BH Pioneer 202, Fisher F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got a F22 last week, and am favorably impressed, especially by the fact that it runs on 2 AA batteries. but the lowest price I could find was $219 shipped. Price is always a consideration.

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What was it about the F22 that apealed to you? I'm trying to decide between the F22 and Vanquish 340.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What kind of hunting do you do?

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yards and parks, but I'm trying to find sights where I can relic hunt. For example, I've found a few sections of road or trail that existed in the 1800s but fell out of use (off the maps) in the early 1900s. My daughter and I are going to check it out on Tuesday.

So I need a good multi use detector.

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
In that case the biggest consideration would be the operating frequency. Most people don't pay attention to that aspect. Make sure to do some research on metal detector frequencies and how they affect the ability of the detector to hit certain types of items. The Tracker IV is around 6khz. The F22 is around 7khz. A lower frequency will not hit smaller items and low conductors such as buttons as well as a mid frequency will, but do fine for just coin shooting. Most of the mid range $500-$600 detectors range from 12-18 khz because that is the sweet spot for hitting the widest range of targets. Higher end detectors usually have selectable frequencies. Then there is simultaneous multi frequency that runs 5-10-15-20 frequencies at the same time. That lets you have the best chance at hitting small jewelry and deep silver coins with the same machine.

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the good info. I really have enjoyed my Tracker, but always feel like I'm leaving stuff behind just an inch or two lower. Everything keeps pointing me towards the Vanquish 340 as a great all around detector. I'm just having a hard time getting over the lack of manual notch control. But if I want to stay in my budget...I guess I have to give something up.

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To heck with the budget. Think I'll just go ahead and break the budget for a Vanquish 440. That should be enough detector to keep me happy for quite a long time. Thanks for the feedback everyone!

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bought the wife the 340, and the 540 for the smaller coil for me as a backup/loaner. They share the Equinox DNA but with less features. Make sure you update it. The new update is supposed to help with battery life.

OP
OP
D

Deadshort

Aug 20, 2020
Mo
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the good feedback guys. Just sprung for the 440. Can't wait to get it.

Gotta say that the Tracker IV has served me well though!

67GTA

Dec 3, 2017
Franklin, KY
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
You'll love it. You will have a slight learning curve figuring out what the tones/VDI are. They are almost identical to the Equinox. There are several youtube videos showing the Equinox's numbers and VDI readings. You could probably watch them and get a head start. The biggest piece of advice is to use the horseshoe button to check iffy signals. You will know when you are getting a non ferrous target. Sometimes you will get a crappy signal but still give a high tone. Certain iron shapes will cause it to false. Hitting the horseshoe will let you hear the iron tone which usually means it is iron, but you never know unless you dig.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread