UPS Shipping ..ugh anyone use Pirate Shipping?

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So last week I sold a printer, you know one of those all-in-one ink jet deals that I picked up new for $5.99 at goodwill. I sold it for $42 and shipping cost me $13.54 but I printed the label at home.

This week I sold a Sony 5 CD Changer I bought for $15 at goodwill for $76.99 and shipping cost me $27 dollars at the UPS Store!!! I still made some profit but holy smokes there has to be a better way to ship. I bought a medium size box at walmart for $2 and cut it in half for this item so the dimensions were something like 20x19x6

Wondering if I shouldn't be using Pirate Shipping. I'm pretty sure USPS would not be better I use USPS for media mail or Region A or B if its less than 200 miles away. otherwise I've been using UPS ground but I'm new to all this and still learning.

I've been making a killing with Books maybe I'll stick to those items.

metrotec

Jan 5, 2020
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Whites, Radio Shack, Metrotec, peach tree fork
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you do a LOT of shipping, ask about commercial discount rates. You may have to get a business license, or use someone else's. There are ways around regulations.
Could cut your cost in 1/2.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah shipping costs for the average Joe are outrageous anymore. You really need to consider the weight size of items you may be purchasing for resale these days. I haven't sold on eBay in awhile, but I did focus on buying items that can fit in the usps flat rate boxes when I was selling.

Donna(NJ)

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2007
Ive been using Pirate Ship for the last 2 years. Its much cheaper than using the other shippers direct. They have a special 'cubic' rate for items under 20 pounds. Basically it a square inches, rate. If you play with the dimensions of the box, you'll eventually see the cubic rate for anything under 20 pounds. I shipped 20 pounds of shells from Florida to NJ for around $13. Just needed to cut the size of the box til it fit their criteria. You can go in and just play around with weight & size and see what gets you the 'cubic' price. If that doesnt work out, their regular discount is waaay cheaper than anyone else. Havent had any issues so far. Try it, you'll love it !!!

HH
Donna(NJ)

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just watch for back billing with UPS if you do it yourself. You've got to calculate the dimensional weight (LxWxH)/166 and then use whichever weight is greater, dimensional or actual. So, if you've got a box weighing 5 pounds actual but the dimensions are 20x19x10, you would have to use 23 lbs as your shipping weight to make the label and not get back billed. Fedex is the world's worst as far as the back billing goes. Their dimensional weight calculation is different. That's the good thing about USPS. No back billing, unless you really screw up majorly. These other companies just something small will get a back bill.

Donna(NJ)

Tenderfoot
Mar 25, 2007
Just watch for back billing with UPS if you do it yourself. You've got to calculate the dimensional weight (LxWxH)/166 and then use whichever weight is greater, dimensional or actual. So, if you've got a box weighing 5 pounds actual but the dimensions are 20x19x10, you would have to use 23 lbs as your shipping weight to make the label and not get back billed. Fedex is the world's worst as far as the back billing goes. Their dimensional weight calculation is different. That's the good thing about USPS. No back billing, unless you really screw up majorly. These other companies just something small will get a back bill.
I always round up to the next pound but using CUBIC rate, weight doesnt matter. Just as long as its under 20 pounds. Its all about the size of the box. Again, just shipped 20 pounds to Florida for $14. Pirateship is the BEST. Ive never been back billed by anyone. Rarely use UPS or FedEx. USPS is usually cheaper. Plus I just leave the box on my porch, leave a note for pickup for my mailperson and away it goes. UPS & FedEx I have to bring the package to the store.

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always round up to the next pound but using CUBIC rate, weight doesnt matter. Just as long as its under 20 pounds. Its all about the size of the box. Again, just shipped 20 pounds to Florida for $14. Pirateship is the BEST. Ive never been back billed by anyone. Rarely use UPS or FedEx. USPS is usually cheaper. Plus I just leave the box on my porch, leave a note for pickup for my mailperson and away it goes. UPS & FedEx I have to bring the package to the store.
Yeah UPS and FDX backbill, USPS does not which is a big bonus for using them. UPS doesn't backbill very often unless you screw something up. Fedex quotes are rarely accurate, but are close most of the time from what I've seen. I've basically quit using them for that reason

adirondackjim

Sep 23, 2014
Finger Lakes of NY & North Shore of Kaua'i
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I've been using Pirate Ship for almost three years now and definitely recommend them. No cost to join and no monthly or reoccurring fees. They have great tutorial resources and go out of the way to help you understand the carrier pricing structures and how to save the most on packaging and shipping your orders. All you need is a printer and labels. They will save you a bunch of $ on your shipping fees.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread