Greenie
Sep 10, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had and still have the great excitement and enthusiasim of digging these very rare and stunning buttons. ( Note the newest coin of the 8 dug at this site was 1788)
I was fortunate to find a very old cellar hole for it was not on any old map that was made and I used LIDAR to locate it and it was still not easy to locate.
I will have to say someone else found the site first that is over 1/2 mile from the nearest public road and he or she left about 12 holes half filled in so I was disappointed not about the unfilled holes but that it was not a virgin site. But none the less I was excited to start detecting. My first trip there I dug a 1786 Vermontensium variety of Vermont copper then I dug a 1787 Nova Caesarea and then a French 6 Denier 1710-12 no date visible. I also dug a few Tombac and general flat buttons and some other bits and pieces of buckles etc. The next trip I invited a friend to go along and He had a great day by digging another 1787 Nova Caesarea and a 1787? French coin and other bits and parts of buckles and flat buttons.
My 3rd trip I invited yet another friend who did find 2 coins a KGIII 1788 and a wiped copper along with the usual common flat buttons and Dandy buttons.
After a long time without detecting about 2 -3 months went by I couldnt detect due to back surgery and finally I decided to then go back to this site one more time. Thats when I found a holed Nova Caesarea pretty wiped but a thrill anyway then came the first of these VERY RARE buttons. I didnt get a very good VDI # from the Nox 800 and the tone was not very good either I think it was a 12-14 if I remember correctly, then I am staring at an anchor on this small button.
After I found out that this button is listed in Albert`s Button Book on pages 86-87 and listed as US Continental Navy NA 2 . This cuff size button measures 15.6 mm and is made of a yellow metal after I lightly scraped the plain back to see any metal color. this button matches the larger coat button which is 25 mm but is listed as being Pewter.
I went back to see if I could find any more buttons and I did, 2 of them and both are the same size cuf bttons as the first one, one is the same "yellow metal " and the other is a Pewter button tha that has not been finished for use after coming from the mold. Theres no hole as youcan see in the photos and the sprue is still intact. I have been in contact with the Naval museums (3) and now with a West Point curator to discuss and compare any known examples they may have. I also want to point out the "barbs" at the ends of the anchor points that a collector pointed out to me which are not something the French buttons have or the British so theres that to keep in mind.

Attachments

• Anchor Brass front.jpg
    Anchor Brass front.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 45
  • Anchor Brass back broken shank.jpg
    Anchor Brass back broken shank.jpg
    809.5 KB · Views: 76
  • Anchor Brass button back with shank.jpg
    Anchor Brass button back with shank.jpg
    720.4 KB · Views: 77
  • Anchor Pewter front.jpg
    Anchor Pewter front.jpg
    981.6 KB · Views: 37
  • Anchor pewter back #1.jpg
    Anchor pewter back #1.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Anchor pewter back #2.jpg
    Anchor pewter back #2.jpg
    672.5 KB · Views: 34
  • 3 Anchor buttons.jpg
    3 Anchor buttons.jpg
    1,010.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Pewter and Yellow Metal Anchor buttons and a NJ holed coin.jpg
    Pewter and Yellow Metal Anchor buttons and a NJ holed coin.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 49
Last edited:

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had and still have the great excitement and enthusiasim of digging these very rare and stunning buttons. ( Note the newest coin of the 8 dug at this site was 1788)
I was fortunate to find a very old cellar hole for it was not on any old map that was made and I used LIDAR to locate it and it was still not easy to locate.
I will have to say someone else found the site first that is over 1/2 mile from the nearest public road and he or she left about 12 holes half filled in so I was disappointed not about the unfilled holes but that it was not a virgin site. But none the less I was excited to start detecting. My first trip there I dug a 1786 Vermontensium variety of Vermont copper then I dug a 1787 Nova Caesarea and then a French 6 Denier 1710-12 no date visible. I also dug a few Tombac and general flat buttons and some other bits and pieces of buckles etc. The next trip I invited a friend to go along and He had a great day by digging another 1787 Nova Caesarea and a 1787? French coin and other bits and parts of buckles and flat buttons.
My 3rd trip I invited yet another friend who did find 2 coins a KGIII 1788 and a wiped copper along with the usual common flat buttons and Dandy buttons.
After a long time without detecting about 2 -3 months went by I couldnt detect due to back surgery and finally I decided to then go back to this site one more time. Thats when I found a holed Nova Caesarea pretty wiped but a thrill anyway then came the first of these VERY RARE buttons. I didnt get a very good VDI # from the Nox 800 and the tone was not very good either I think it was a 12-14 if I remember correctly, then I am staring at an anchor on this small button.
After I found out that this button is listed in Albert`s Button Book on pages 86-87 and listed as US Continental Navy NA 2 . This cuff size button measures 15.6 mm and is made of a yellow metal after I lightly scraped the plain back to see any metal color. this button matches the larger coat button which is 25 mm but is listed as being Pewter.
I went back to see if I could find any more buttons and I did, 2 of them and both are the same size cuf bttons as the first one, one is the same "yellow metal " and the other is a Pewter button tha that has not been finished for use after coming from the mold. Theres no hole as youcan see in the photos and the sprue is still intact. I have been in contact with the Naval museums (3) and now with a West Point curator to discuss and compare any known examples they may have. I also want to point out the "barbs" at the ends of the anchor points that a collector pointed out to me which are not something the French buttons have or the British so theres that to keep in mind.
Nice finds and thanks for sharing. You folks from way up north show some real perseverance out digging in this cold weather. If you dug in warmer weather 3foregt the perseverance but still nice finds.

OP
OP
Ole man Digger

Ole man Digger

Greenie
Sep 10, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds and thanks for sharing. You folks from way up north show some real perseverance out digging in this cold weather. If you dug in warmer weather 3foregt the perseverance but still nice finds.
These buttons were found before the ground froze and actually last summer and early fall here in Maine. This is my first posting on this site so forgive me for being a newbie and I apprecate any guidence as to where how etc,
Thank you for the reply

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These buttons were found before the ground froze and actually last summer and early fall here in Maine. This is my first posting on this site so forgive me for being a newbie and I apprecate any guidence as to where how etc,
Thank you for the reply
Everybody was a newbie at one time or another. I am pretty new myself. I joined in 2017 but then took off travelling for work again so only recently started posting. The folks on here are great and about everyone will be glad to help you and will appreciate any help you can give. More like a family. Welcome brother.

OP
OP
Ole man Digger

Ole man Digger

Greenie
Sep 10, 2019
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox 800
Whites Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Everybody was a newbie at one time or another. I am pretty new myself. I joined in 2017 but then took off travelling for work again so only recently started posting. The folks on here are great and about everyone will be glad to help you and will appreciate any help you can give. More like a family. Welcome brother.
Thank You for the positive and welcome words, I have been digging cool stuff up since the fall of 1989 and that was about 20 yrs. too late knowing what I know now hahaha, But seriously I wish I had kept the first Silver anything. It was a Crucifix from a rosary, I found the St, Christpher the spring of 1990 after winter thaw and this was in the midwest.

Cal_Cobra

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2008
Northern California
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab EQ800 & Makro Multi Kruzer, the rest are collecting dust...
Congrats locating the cellar hole and subsequent finds, the buttons are fantastic!!

How are you using LIDAR? It's something I've been VERY interested in. As technology evolves, I've been watching for a reasonably priced drone LIDAR mapping solution as these things tend to go down as technology evolves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread