Us navy yard tool?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today at a yard sale and I have no idea what it is. I'm pretty sure it's the same as the other one but you will see in my pictures I have no idea what I'm talking about. Now they came in a toolbox which I'm a believing it's from the Navy Yard as well from the colors it's green with brown inside and green and looks old but it says on the box and tape dial indicator with box and Navy base. So with that I'll just show you the pictures because I don't know what I have.

image-3742020602.jpg

image-406265709.jpg

image-41043656.jpg

image-34930433.jpg

image-2533403753.jpg

image-1178450295.jpg

image-3983970220.jpg

MAV1

Jul 18, 2010
Quantico, VA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Vaquero
Dial indicators . The navy base one is interesting. The other one is a magnetic base. Cool tool box to boot.

clovis97

Silver Member
Dec 9, 2010
My guess is that those dial indicators were manufactured during WWII. They are pretty cool! Unusual to see them marked "Navy Yard."

I love the tool box. It looks like a box that would have been made by Kennedy Kits. I just picked up another Kennedy Kits box. It is a hip-roof cantalever style. The leather handle is cool.

Look on the inside of the lid to see if your box still has the Kennedy Kits decal.

As you know, Kennedy is known for their machinist's tool boxes. I am guessing that your box is WWII or pre-war.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That box looks like a Kennedy and their most common colors are brown and green

The tools are a brown and sharp magnetic base, Starrett? Surface indicator gage with no upper attachments and the horseshoe thing the the clamp for a vee block. It will mate with a vee block for clamping round objects and usually comes in pairs for each block

Mark S.

Jan 25, 2005
The one marked Navy Yard is a marking gauge. It is missing the scribe. It is a wood patternmakers tool. Used to scribe lines on wood while building the patterns. I used them myself prior to the trade going to vernier measurements and now CNC.

If you are wondering what a wood pattern is.......its the wood tool that is used in a foundry to produce the sand mold into which molten metal is poured to make metal castings.

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
just old machinest's tools. too old and not old enough to be worth anything

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread