Usika chief

Holland1990

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2022
Greetings fellow detectorists, I am new to the hobby and recently aquired a vintage Wilson neuman usika chief in good working order at a yard sale. I have been playing with it in my yard and have found a few modern coins. I am having trouble understanding the settings. Anyone have any tips or experience with this model?
20221003_133528.jpg
20221003_133534.jpg

Upvote 3

Ocean7

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2004
SE, PA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Minelab Explorer II
Garrett MASTER HUNTER 7
Garrett ADS DEEPSEEKER
Compass X100
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nope, never heard of it and cannot find a manual anywhere on Net.
Here's a good resource for many MD but not yours:

OP
OP
H

Holland1990

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2022
nope, never heard of it and cannot find a manual anywhere on Net.
Here's a good resource for many MD but not yours:
Thanks for the link, I bought the thing a couple weeks ago at a local yard sale for $5. Helluva deal, seller had no info about it beyond that it would power up. I have played around with it in my front yard a few times and it does in fact work. I have played around with the settings a bit, but still feel I am doing something wrong

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an early 1980s model.

Here is thread from 2015 on it.

OP
OP
H

Holland1990

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2022
It is an early 1980s model.

Here is thread from 2015 on it.

Click Here ->
Your link doesn't appear

Last edited by a moderator:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Carl-NC

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Washington
Detector(s) used
Custom Designs and Prototypes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I used to have one, so this is going on very vague memory...

1. Set the Mode (disc) to all metal, set the Soil (ground balance) in the middle.
2. Raise the coil in the air.
3. Press the retune button & hold; set the Tuner to a comfortable threshold; release the retune button.
4. Lower the coil to the ground in a place where there are no metal targets. If the threshold increases, reduce the GB setting; if the threshold decreases, increase the GB setting. (I may have this backward)
5. Raise the coil and briefly press the retune button to reset the threshold.
6. Continue bobbing the coil up & down, adjusting the GB setting and retuning until you can bob the coil over ground with no change in the threshold. At this point you are ground balanced and ready to hunt.

Use the Disc control with care. Those old analog discriminators lost quite a bit of depth as you turn up the disc level.

OP
OP
H

Holland1990

Tenderfoot
Oct 3, 2022
I used to have one, so this is going on very vague memory...

1. Set the Mode (disc) to all metal, set the Soil (ground balance) in the middle.
2. Raise the coil in the air.
3. Press the retune button & hold; set the Tuner to a comfortable threshold; release the retune button.
4. Lower the coil to the ground in a place where there are no metal targets. If the threshold increases, reduce the GB setting; if the threshold decreases, increase the GB setting. (I may have this backward)
5. Raise the coil and briefly press the retune button to reset the threshold.
6. Continue bobbing the coil up & down, adjusting the GB setting and retuning until you can bob the coil over ground with no change in the threshold. At this point you are ground balanced and ready to hunt.

Use the Disc control with care. Those old analog discriminators lost quite a bit of depth as you turn up the disc level.
Ahhh finally someone who has used one! This retune button, where is it located? I have a tuning knob, don't think that's what you're referring to

TheGreenBoy

Nov 10, 2017
Countryside
Detector(s) used
DBP2010, eeTH, tx850
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you open the box and notice wires comming from the handle than it's a button.

detectorcowboy

Nov 30, 2009
Florida
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800, & Fisher CZ3D
Back in the day I think it was an Orion metal detector made by
Mr. Wilson spoke with him on the phone a few times trying to get it working which we did.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread