Breed

Breed

Apr 8, 2021
Jackson, AL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Simplex+ ,Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't guess anyone uses a GPS while metal detecting.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have some of the time, to locate hot spots, or trace features that wouldn't show on any map.
Maybe exploring around/orbiting the site, to get an idea how big of an area I'm dealing with..
So, with the software available now, you (could) anticipate where there are great areas to hunt next.

malenkai

May 4, 2016
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't at present but am thinking about it for gridding out sites to mark where I've been. Right now I use a compass and printouts from Google Earth to do this. I've been working a huge field off and on for about 4 years, and I would forget if I didn't log well. GE and a compass are good tools for this, but I think a GPS which can output kml (most do) would be faster. I just haven't gotten around to it yet, but it should work well for gridding large sites.

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't at present but am thinking about it for gridding out sites to mark where I've been. Right now I use a compass and printouts from Google Earth to do this. I've been working a huge field off and on for about 4 years, and I would forget if I didn't log well. GE and a compass are good tools for this, but I think a GPS which can output kml (most do) would be faster. I just haven't gotten around to it yet, but it should work well for gridding large sites.
Following a compass is a real job, but following a (mirrored) sighting compass can be quite accurate.
Establish a per-determined grid pattern, find a good starting point, that can be seen at a distance, and Go For It...!

traveller777

Gold Member
Aug 20, 2017
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030 & Explorer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does anyone use a GPS in metal detecting? How do you use it? Do you use it to plot where you've been or just create waypoints of finds?
Hello. I use the built in GPS on my CTX 3030 to mark general area for hot spots or the area where very a nice item was found. It is a handy feature on the Minelab.

I do not come here often so just so this.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use them at times. I have 3

GPSMAP 60CSx Handheld GPS I use them trail riding all the time. When trail ridingh if we come upon a cellar you can be sure i save the waypoint so i can find it again. ZI have been trying to use Gaia and when i mark a place i can not get the Readings to enter . Not all the time mind you but some of the time​

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread