Using ground flags/stakes to mark targets

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Any of you using ground stakes or flags to mark targets? I am thinking about buying some and wanted to see how its worked for others. Situation would be when I am doing recoveries, I typically like to do a fast coarse grid, and I am only looking for very solid targets based on what I am looking for. But I want to mark any hit, so as I can go back to it, potentially dig it in case its masking or figure out what it is. I am thinking I would only need to carry 10-20 on me at a time, and I have just found myself wanting something like this. Ideally would be something that is just a ribbon/streamer, with some weight on the end, ideally non metallic, but I haven't been able to find anything like that.

Upvote 0

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
U can get underground dog fencing markers pretty reasonable

Jon Stewart

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2011
They have the water/gas and irrigation flags with plastic stems instead of metal at the box stores. They weigh next to nothing. They are not weighted though.

scott565

Apr 20, 2009
Signal,

I use plastic poker chips, Bicycle brand - the thin plastic ones, not the thicker kind - thick ones actually have metal in them for added weight.
You can drop one on top of a target and then swing over it anytime later.
They sell them in packs of 100 and there are three colors (red, blue, white) so you could even color-code the targets as needed.
Hope this helps.

-Scott

OP
OP
signal

signal

Apr 30, 2011
Royal Palm Beach, Fl
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX-3030, Minelab Exalibur II, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Signal,

I use plastic poker chips, Bicycle brand - the thin plastic ones, not the thicker kind - thick ones actually have metal in them for added weight.
You can drop one on top of a target and then swing over it anytime later.
They sell them in packs of 100 and there are three colors (red, blue, white) so you could even color-code the targets as needed.
Hope this helps.

-Scott

Good tip

All About Tone

Greenie
Jan 3, 2021
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use natural markers that are already found in parks such as branches, shrubs, trees, etc.

Back-of-the-boat

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
AT GOLD/Garrett /C.Scope cs4PI/Garrett(carrot) pro pointer/ 5x8 double d coil and sniper coil/Lesche digger/Lesche "T" handle shovel.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If any Chinese restaurants offer chopsticks (wooden) you could use them and glue flags on them. Trying to think of cheap or free options. You could also use some PVC pipe taped to your detector rod as a holder for them. Or get some plastic coffee can (round can) center a hole in it then slide it up the shaft as a holder for your non metallic flags. I probably just gave away a Million dollar idea. LOL actually welding rod comes in plastic tubes with a cap that would be a great holder for your flags.

Last edited:

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bamboo shiskabob skewers from dollar store.

RTR

Gold Member
Nov 21, 2017
Smith Mt. Lake Va.
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Liberator
Falcon MD-20
Blue Bowl
Angus MacKirk sluice
Miller Table
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why not .Their cheap enough & reusable

Last edited:

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Multi colored golf T's but the bamboo skewers are longer and might be easier to apply and retrieve. this might not work well in tightly packed/rocky soil.
The poker chips are a good idea but might not be easy to find in taller grass.

Maybe a combination of the two?

Last edited:

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather just dig targets as I go and not mark them for later retrieval. The only time I use markers is to grid a large area where it's hard to see where you've already been. I use those little red rubber cones for that. They can be moved easily with your coil for the next pass and you can see them in tall grass.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'd rather just dig targets as I go and not mark them for later retrieval. The only time I use markers is to grid a large area where it's hard to see where you've already been. I use those little red rubber cones for that. They can be moved easily with your coil for the next pass and you can see them in tall grass.

Agreed... never have marked targets that I am going to dig... I get a hit... I dig.... only time I have used any form of markers is to notify someone else of something... such as a pipe line etc.

CASPER-2

Gold Member
Jan 3, 2012
NEW ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
WHITE'S XLT, PI PRO, GARRETT 2500, 3- FISHER CZ21s, JW FISHER 8X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i thought of doing something like this in farmfields
using pointed wooden skewers and making paper flags for them and using colors for
good medium and bad signals - was going to do this to do a video
instead of walking for long times between signals - go out and get like 20 - 30 signals
and mark them then turn on camera and go back and dig them so no wasted time
and no editing hopefully needed
flags/markers would be great in good spots to mark silver finds - wheats or other good finds so if things get slow in a park field - you can go back
this would work in spots where there are no people or kids might mess with them
used golf balls for beach sand and/or underwater once again if you are there at a time with no people - preferably sunrise

No gold in NY

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2015
Detector(s) used
Whites Coin Master,
Whites Gold Master GMT, Whites MXSport
High banker/dredge,
DIY hand trommel,
DIY Miller table,
DIY fluidbed gold trap sluice,
Keene A-52 A-52s
2186 Wheaties
Primary Interest:
Other
I dig all targets when I find them. However, my wife loves to go detecting with me. She won't swing, but loves to dig. I sometimes mark targets with yellow pencils for her to dig, and the detector keeps swinging. PS. I remove all pens and pencils and those nasty eraser ends the kids seem to bite off.

BLACKIE555

Dec 6, 2020
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Snow stakes .....fiberglass, orange, 4 foot long, you can cut them into lengths you desire. Super cheap....I use them for Go Bars.
IMG_20200530_200612.jpg

Travel240z

Greenie
Dec 16, 2018
Alberta
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Equinox 600, Previous detectors were the Garrett AT series
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I second the coloured golf tees. Use Green for good, orange for sounds good but not solid signal, and pink for probably not worth it but depends on how much I want to dig. Although it would depend on your terrain as I have picked up the little flags on wire for deeper grass.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The only time I have ever marked a target was when I was retrieving something and I was swinging the detector there or back and shovel wasn't with me.
After 5 decades of swinging the coil, if a digable target I don't/can't wait to dig it up to see.
Just old school, I use the stubble, wind rows, drag the shovel, acorns, pine cones, foot prints sticks if needed.
In a grassy park, never used anything ever either.

barrywk

May 2, 2013
lancaster sc
Detector(s) used
Minelab Xterra 505...At Pro...T2...F5.....F70.....xterra 705...AT Gold......Pro pointer....Pro find 25......XP Deus...gti 2500
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
i use (when i use them)bambbo skewers that i painted neon pink and orage so they stand out

PetesPockets55

Bronze Member
Apr 18, 2013
Indian River Co., Fl
Detector(s) used
AT MAX & Carrot, Nokta Pulse Dice (:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good tip on the go bars.

I read this as "go to the bars".:laughing7:

What is a "Go Bar".
Don't have a lot of use for snow flags down here but they seem like a great idea for easy visibility and retrieval although they might be awkward carrying. I had that issue with the bamboo skewers yesterday.

Some really good ideas here but I think I'll keep my eye out for some poker chips at Goodwill or the dump.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions