Using olive oil to clean

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Could someone explain the proper steps for using olive oil to clean buttons and coins?What type of brush to use and how long to soak between brushing.Is it o.k. to use a small wooden stick to scrape build up on coins after first soak?

True_Metal

Aug 27, 2004
Smoky Mountains
Detector(s) used
Minelab Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I dont know about buttons but i use it to clean coins that i dont want to scratch or mark in any way in case they are valuable or rare, and that i'm afraid to put thru the Electrolysis cleaner

I personaly wouldnt use a stick, as i'm sure that might mar a coin surface.

Upvote 0

Hank

Oct 25, 2004
Charlotte,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH, Tesoro, et al
Gladly. Take 6 tablespoon of olive oil and mix with one quarter tspn of salt & pepper. Dip your coins in two or three times...shake them well...pour the mixture on fresh salad greens and throw the coins away.....

Sorry....got carried away....love salad. :D I clean my coins in vinegar....DO NOT clean your silver this way....

Upvote 0
OP
downindixie

downindixie

Oct 10, 2004
Oxford,Alabama
Thanks for the salad tip,but I like Roquefort!

The vinegar is for copper coins only I presume.I will try an old penny and see if I like it.

Upvote 0

Hank

Oct 25, 2004
Charlotte,NC
Detector(s) used
Ace 250, BH, Tesoro, et al
color doesn't matter....it is all 5% or less acetic acid content. Keep your coppers separate from your other clads....leave em soak for 30 minutes or more....won't hurt anything....they usually come out of the ground pretty nasty.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread