Minelab CTX 3030 & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Other
A524FBA2-23F7-47D5-91A4-0DF024DC674F.jpeg
8AD182A3-F7DF-4563-8E71-37B62B072976.jpeg
7C96B02A-C035-4FCA-B16E-4DC565F6DF7C.jpeg
63FD2AF6-5D5C-4A4E-8496-0F19ECE3ADA3.jpeg
50B83F05-5D0E-4AFE-B04F-1DF1BFF5CBF6.jpeg
Now, while I’m still trying to figure my way around this re-done T-Net site , I wanted to share a rare button that got me pretty excited.

With darkness coming so close to the heels of work ending, I’m sure not many of us are finding time to hunt unless we call in sick. So I went out and dug a few holes and popped out a few nice finds. Toward dark I got a high ringer on the CTX and I scored this nice US Mail Line button. It’s a two piece with what looks like a heavily silver plated face. From a couple sources;

“The New York & Liverpool United States' Mail Steamship Company, commonly known as the Collins Line, was founded in New York ca. 1848. They made the first voyages, New York to Liverpool, in 1850 in 9 days 13 hours and 30 minutes. From 1850 to 1854 Collins’s paddle-wheel steamers, the “Atlantic,” “Pacific,” “Arctic,” and “Baltic,” were the fastest and most luxurious ships in the transatlantic service. The company never fully recovered from the losses of the ARCTIC in 1854 and PACIFIC in 1856. Disruptions to services due to breakdowns and protracted repairs, late delivery of the new ship ADRIATIC, etc caused the failure of the line and operations were suspended in Feb.1858. Their remaining ships were sold to the principal creditors at a sheriff's sale.”

Pretty neat. Perhaps like many other silver buttons on ships and in the military, this could have been an officers button. But what I find most interesting is it can be traced to only 4 ships over the span of 4 years, about 165 years ago. I cannot find any other examples anywhere so if anyone can help please let me know!

Additionally I got a couple coppers. An 1803 Draped bust and an 1831 Geo.4th. A silver pocket knife which I’m cleaning, and a bunch of flat buttons. Well, enjoy and good hunting

Last edited:
Upvote 19

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1999556 View attachment 1999557 View attachment 1999558 View attachment 1999559 View attachment 1999560 Now, while I’m still trying to figure my way around this re-done T-Net site , I wanted to share a rare button that got me pretty excited.

With darkness coming so close to the heels of work ending, I’m sure not many of us are finding time to hunt unless we call in sick. So I went out and dug a few holes and popped out a few nice finds. Toward dark I got a high ringer on the CTX and I scored this nice US Mail Line button. It’s a two piece with what looks like a heavily silver plated face. From a couple sources;

“The New York & Liverpool United States' Mail Steamship Company, commonly known as the Collins Line, was founded in New York ca. 1848. They made the first voyages, New York to Liverpool, in 1850 in 9 days 13 hours and 30 minutes. From 1850 to 1854 Collins’s paddle-wheel steamers, the “Atlantic,” “Pacific,” “Arctic,” and “Baltic,” were the fastest and most luxurious ships in the transatlantic service. The company never fully recovered from the losses of the ARCTIC in 1854 and PACIFIC in 1856. Disruptions to services due to breakdowns and protracted repairs, late delivery of the new ship ADRIATIC, etc caused the failure of the line and operations were suspended in Feb.1858. Their remaining ships were sold to the principal creditors at a sheriff's sale.”

Pretty neat. Perhaps like many other silver buttons on ships and in the military, this could have been an officers button. But what I find most interesting is it can be traced to only 4 ships over the span of 4 years, about 165 years ago. I cannot find any other examples anywhere so if anyone can help please let me know!

Additionally I got a couple coppers. An 1803 Draped bust and an 1831 Geo.4th. A silver pocket knife which I’m cleaning, and a bunch of flat buttons. Well, enjoy and good hunting
Congratulations on your nice recoveries..

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 1999556 View attachment 1999557 View attachment 1999558 View attachment 1999559 View attachment 1999560 Now, while I’m still trying to figure my way around this re-done T-Net site , I wanted to share a rare button that got me pretty excited.

Very Nice!!! Congrats!!!

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great to see that you have gotten out and dug some keepers. :hello2:

Man that's one sweet looking button, great condition for sure.:occasion14:
A top shelf find to end the year off-congrats and Happy New Years.

treblehunter

Gold Member
Jun 18, 2013
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II
XP Deus
Garrett pro pointer
XP Deus MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice button buddy, wish I could of been there when you found all that stuff.
Happy New Year you Bastard of Bramble and to all the other Bastards of Bramble!

WannaDig3687

Gold Member
Jun 5, 2017
O-H-I-O
Detector(s) used
Garret ATMAX
Primary Interest:
Other
Neat find and thanks for the history. I hope you get help with narrowing it down more. I think you did a pretty good job finding as much about it as you did. Great way to end the year. Happy new year.

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Awesome group of finds dude, that button is a keeper for sure, I hope you have a good place to display that one.

Happy New Year you Bastard
Loco, I sent you guys my wish for 2022 - an all hands on deck Bastards of Bramble dig. I hope it can happen. Cheers bud

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Nice button buddy, wish I could of been there when you found all that stuff.
Happy New Year you Bastard of Bramble and to all the other Bastards of Bramble!
Thx Bastard Brad. I’m about ready to slog around in some muddy fields this January with you

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The early Steam Packet Ship Buttons are pretty scarce, of which this is a later type. Quite hard to find info on. I've had a couple & couldn't find any other examples online.
It's a great find & I think you can assume it was an officer type.:icon_thumright:

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That button is a very unique and cool find- very impressive! The coppers aint half-bad either- Congrats!

OP
OP
Scrappy

Scrappy

Gold Member
Mar 6, 2014
17th century
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
The early Steam Packet Ship Buttons are pretty scarce, of which this is a later type. Quite hard to find info on. I've had a couple & couldn't find any other examples online.
It's a great find & I think you can assume it was an officer type.:icon_thumright:
Thx Cru. Seems like I may have found most of the available info. Narrowing a button to 4 years and 4 ships is better info than I’ve found for most other buttons. Happy new year

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread