V Nickel Valley and My First QUADFECTA!!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hello All,

About a week ago, my buddy and I stumbled upon an interesting site while looking for Civil War relics. While the relics themselves were few and far between, there was another find that was unusually common at this site. V Nickels! We've hunted it four times in the last week and I've personally pulled out 19 (yes NINETEEN) V Nickels! My normal V Nickel count for the year is usually around 5 or so, but I hadn't found any this year. This site has blown that out of the water! There were also every other type of nickel as well, but not nearly as many as V Nickels. In total I've found 4 Shield Nickels, 19 V Nickels, 5 Buffalo Nickels, and 10 older Jefferson Nickels. Some of the other coins we have pulled out of there are 5 Indian Head cents, two Seated Liberty Dimes (1857 and 1876), a Barber Dime, and several Wheat Cents.

So on to the other exciting find (or finds) from this site, which is a first for me. My first QUADFECTA! I started the day with a 1936 Buffalo, then about two hours later I got the V Nickel, 20 or so minutes after that I got my toasted Shield Nickel. At that point I had the trifecta, but I was missing the most common nickel... the Jefferson. At that point I would have taken a modern one. I got another deep nickel signal, so I was hoping it was the Jefferson to complete my quadfecta... Nope, it was ANOTHER V Nickel! I searched for another hour with no luck, so I started heading back up the hill to my car. I was nearly back to my car and I get a good signal at the base of a tree. BAM! 1949 Jefferson Nickel! I've never been so happy to see a Jefferson in my plug! Sites like this don't come along very often and I can't wait to get back out there!

Thanks for looking and HH!

PF

Attachments

• nickels1.jpg
    nickels1.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 91
  • nickels2.jpg
    nickels2.jpg
    137 KB · Views: 79
  • nickels3.jpg
    nickels3.jpg
    231.4 KB · Views: 76
  • nickels4.jpg
    nickels4.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 61
  • 12022019.jpg
    12022019.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 68
Last edited:
Upvote 34

EdHartzel

Jun 12, 2018
Bucks County PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600, Garrett GTI 2500, JW Fisher Pulse 8X
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
What fun!! There must have been some sort of concession stand that gave nickles as change there at some point! Congratulations on some great coins!

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super finds! What a great haul! Keep it up, and thanks for sharing!

Rookster

Gold Member
Nov 24, 2013
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, F75Ltd., AT PRO, Garrett pointer
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
That’s what I’m talkin about. Congratulations.:icon_thumright:

Gene Mean

Bronze Member
Dec 22, 2016
Central NJ
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Equinox 800
Eyeballs
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow! Nice job on the V nickels! Any dates 1913?

CoinFetcher

Bronze Member
Apr 29, 2012
Left coast
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Love to treasure hunt
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gotta get a war nickel in the mix dude!!!!

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
That is one heck of a nickel bonanza. Never heard of anything white like it. Wow. Good work out there!!

CTXAgGetter

Mar 2, 2019
Central Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Minelab Equinox
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice! That means the gold is probably left there, too! Keep looking. Last summer I pulled over 80 Vs, buffs and war nickels from my favorite site. I had only been detecting for a few years and never really taught myself to listen for nickels. So, I had left them... in a place where I have now dug 76 silvers in the past 3 years. It was a lot of fun going back and getting all those mid tones. Found a few indians along the way, a few spills where a nickel really brought down the vdi of a silver dime, as well as one gold class ring.
I wonder if that's the kind of place you are on... a site where someone came in and dug a lot of the high tones, but was not a nickel digger.
At any rate... keep going! There's lots of great stuff to be found where there are nickels!
Sorry for rambling. HH and GL

civilman1

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
PA-MD
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium LS,White's MXT's and Surf II Lot's-O-Coil's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think this is the first nickel "quadfecta" I've ever seen here!! Did you ever locate any CW relics?

BLK HOLE

Silver Member
Aug 3, 2017
Northern Virginia
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT MAX/AT PRO/GPX-4500, Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer,NEL Attack Coil, Lesche diggers, and the custom made in the USA Freeloader Pack Mule Pouch!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is so awesome!! What kind of site is this, a park, old home site??? Trying to figure out why there would be so many nickels???

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome additions to your collection I like finding just about any coins. Great post

Wildcat1750

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2012
Western CT
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
AT PRO/Ace 250w8.5x11" DD Coil/
Garrett Pro-Pointer/Garrett Pro-Pointer AT/
Vibra-Tector 730/
Radio Shack Discovery 1000 (Tracker IV)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Super impressive collection of Nickels! :occasion14:

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Makes you wonder what the heck was going on at this site to produce so many nickels.....weird! ( but kind' cool)

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever that place was, it's your motherlode of nickels- Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread