V3i coils, which one?

Chunter

Greenie
Mar 16, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting ready to purchase the V3i and heard mixed reviews about the stock coil. I don't like the bigger coils but would like to by a smaller one. I would like to buy the concentric coil... but does it work with the 3 frequenceys? Do any of the coils have to be tuned to the machine? Any thoughts on the 5.3 (6x6) coil and depth? I know this has been asked before....wonder if there is any new info? Thanks...:icon_thumright:

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I own the shooter, eclipse, and the Detech 8x6 sef. If the coils are V rated they will work fine with the V3i. They don't have to be tuned, but adjusting your settings based upon your coil size will gain better performance.

In my local dirt the Eclipse is deeper. Eclipse can sort modern non-ferrous trash better than the shooter, IMO. In a sea of bottlecaps...gimme the Eclipse!

Otherwise, if I only could keep one small coil of the three - Detech 8x6 sef hands down.

I don't even keep the shooter mounted on a lower rod anymore. The Detech SEF is overall just better for a DD style coil comparison.

mntnflyr4fun

Jul 12, 2012
Oregon
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, Etrac with 6x8 SEF & ML 11" Pro coil, MXT PRO with D2 coil, Whites V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
10"D2 Mixed Reviews?

Getting ready to purchase the V3i and heard mixed reviews about the stock coil. I don't like the bigger coils but would like to by a smaller one. I would like to buy the concentric coil... but does it work with the 3 frequenceys? Do any of the coils have to be tuned to the machine? Any thoughts on the 5.3 (6x6) coil and depth? I know this has been asked before....wonder if there is any new info? Thanks...:icon_thumright:

There isn't a coil out there that doesn't have mixed reviews, there is alot more to a coils performance than what any given review might indicate.

I do think that one issue you should consider is how strong the mineralization is in your soil. A 10" D2 might run smoother and deeper than a smaller concentric just due to its design in highly mineralized ground. Where I live, (Oregon) just about any DD coil is a better choice than the concentrics due to the iron type mineralization issues we experience just about everywhere....

Buy what you want based on your conditions and hunting style and then see if it works....whats the real risk? a few bucks on resale to try out what you want?

I think if you are new to the V3i, your issues with getting depth will be more related to learning how to setup that machine properly to perform....I sold my v3i after a year as it is a lot of machine I just couldn't wrap my head around and you are probably fine with the stock coil and any smaller coil you desire using some of the factory programs than trying to find the best coil before you even own it....IMHO

And yes a 5.3 will work fine as long as it fits your ground ....one of the nice things with staying with Whites coils is that the V3i can adjust itself to any compatible coil via menu selections specifically tied to the Whites stable of coils....

Good Luck with it all....

RobRieman

Silver Member
Nov 12, 2012
Cincinnati Ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's V3i / Minelab E-trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I only use the 8x6 SEF unless I'm hunting an open field. It's an all around great coil.

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
What stock coil is coming in your package? If it's the Detech Ultimate 13, not the D2, you'll be happy. Add an 8x6 SEF and you'll be sitting pretty.

MD_DET_001

Greenie
Jan 6, 2021
Detector(s) used
White's Metal Detector
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I own the shooter, eclipse, and the Detech 8x6 sef. If the coils are V rated they will work fine with the V3i. They don't have to be tuned, but adjusting your settings based upon your coil size will gain better performance.

In my local dirt the Eclipse is deeper. Eclipse can sort modern non-ferrous trash better than the shooter, IMO. In a sea of bottlecaps...gimme the Eclipse!

Otherwise, if I only could keep one small coil of the three - Detech 8x6 sef hands down.

I don't even keep the shooter mounted on a lower rod anymore. The Detech SEF is overall just better for a DD style coil comparison.

When I purchased my Spectra V3, it came stock with the D2 coil, and I had a Christmas package deal that let me add another coil...so I chose the Ecclipse 6x10 coil. I then paid additional to get the 4x6 Shooter coil, and the 950 coil...which I'd read was great for the beaches. I made certain to get them all as "V-nulled" coils.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread