V3i Polar Plot

xltuser

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2011
Just started playing with this. I have a test garden so I have known coins at known depths. When I swing the V3i over the targets, the VDI is dead on. The icons are dead on. The pinpoint depth is dead on. The graph is dead on. Yet, the polar plot is not very conclusive at all. In fact if I was in the field, I likely would have passed on these targets. Anyone hafve any thoughs on why the polar plot would be so different than all the other info ? Is there some setting that can be throwing this off ?

Thanks.

eman1000

Feb 24, 2016
Elizabethtown, IN
Detector(s) used
XP Deus ORX, Etrac, F75, Simplex, MX5, V3i, Equinox, Tesoro Vaq, F22
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
V3i-PolarPlot.jpg

This may help. The PP is accurate up to about 6" and if the coins are recently buried I would think that may also affect it. It's a nice feature and way ahead of its time but I wouldn't rely on it as it is time-consuming. I use it less and less the more familiar I am getting with the V3i. I have learned to trust the VDI, audio and bars and usually between those 3 I can tell. On shallow targets at the park the PP can help but you will get very similar readings on pull-tabs and Nickels.

It can also be difficult to get a good reading based on your swing speed. I sometimes have to go slow over the target once and if that doesn't work I will sweep it once more faster to get a clean audible tone before the PP reading.

OP
OP
X

xltuser

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2011
Thanks. I've noticed the same thing re swing speeds in the test garden. The coins were burried more than 5 or 6 years ago so they should be giving accurate readings from an age perspective.

ATPRoDon

Nov 26, 2007
Griffin, GA
Detector(s) used
Whites Surf PI, Whites V3i, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like Polar plot but like previously stated, its only good up to about 6 inches in depth. I like the colored bars. Make sure you do 4 things before using the V3i.

1) Ground Balance
2) Check for EMI interference, switch channels if you need to.
3) Ground Prob to check for ground mineralization
4) Go to Sensitivity Probe and see if you need to tweak RX Gain by looking at Signal and Noise numbers.

Last I would make sure I was hunting in 5Hz if mineralization is low...and use a slow coil swing. The Preset is 10Hz Band Pass.

Bootlegger137

Tenderfoot
Jun 10, 2019
New Jersey/Alaska
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi there!

I use Polar Plot all the time, and would recommend it for anyone using the Spectra V3i. It's a pretty handy feature that gives that extra bit of confidence that whatever is piquing your interest, is worth the dig. I know when I first started out with my Whites DFX I dug up everything, and got pretty discouraged. That was due to inexperience, an over-abundance of optimism, and poorly-picked locations. I am more moderate these days :)

powrsurg

Jul 5, 2016
Rocky Point, NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Whites Spectra V3I
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Today I found a descent sized coin spill and the VDI, tone, and Polar Plot combo nailed nickels with incredible accuracy in Hi Pro mode.

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
Polar Plot also helps you separate good gold targets from foil targets......

johnedoe

Bronze Member
Jan 15, 2012
Oregon Coast
Detector(s) used
White's V3i, White's MXT, and White's Eagle Spectrum
Cleangold sluice & prospectors pan, EZ-Gold Pan, and custom cleanup sluice.
Primary Interest:
Other
No...
The polar plot will show foil as a bit more erratic plot and a gold ring has a cleaner plot.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread