V3i stomps the Deus in iron today

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
Had in mind a head 2 head today. Deus 11" vs V3i 6x8 SEF at the most pounded park around.

Warmed up in the morning with the Deus at a neighborhood park for two hours killin' clad. Always running 18khz, full tones, 0 disc. Made out good.

Took a long lunch before grabbing the V3i and heading to the proving grounds - an old iron, nail, trash infested park with moderately high mineralization. Everyone hits this park at some point. Not many continue to abuse themselves there more than a few times, but I still squeak goodies out here and there. Definitely need to have your ears on 'A game' to produce a coin. Most times 1 toasted lincoln an hour is a good hunt here.

It wasn't a fair fight. I have about 8 times as many hours on the V3i as I do the Deus. Thousands v.s. hundreds. Smaller coil too.

Ended up two dimes on edge (42 merc, 46 rosie) and four toasted wheats to the V.
That was after the Deus swept the same exact line first and picked up two toasted wheats.

I don't feel I'm missing as much as I thought I might be without a Deus. I still like the French trash magnet though. :icon_thumleft:

Looking forward to a smaller coil out of XP.

20160806_190311.jpg

Thanks for peeking. :occasion14:

Last edited:
Upvote 6

against the wind

Gold Member
Jul 27, 2015
Port Allegheny, Pennsylvania
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
E-trac, Excalibur, XP Deus, & CTX 3030.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm finding the DEUS and CTX 3030 to be of equal capabilities. I have gone over a few areas that were previously pounded by both machines. I even went over these spots with the Etrac. Good to have options.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i, XP Deus, Minelab Sovereign GT, Garrett AT Pro, Whites TRX (2), Predator Raven, Predator Raptor, Lesche Sampson
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm finding the DEUS and CTX 3030 to be of equal capabilities. I have gone over a few areas that were previously pounded by both machines. I even went over these spots with the Etrac. Good to have options.

That's good to hear. There is always the Dirty 30 question lurking in the back of my mind. I need to put that thought to rest or the wife will Bobbitt me in my sleep! :bom:

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your not going to do much better with the smaller coil, stick with the 11" & go with 12kzh

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Your not going to do much better with the smaller coil, stick with the 11" & go with 12kzh

Is that because the smaller coil is not going to run the current frequency offerings? It's onlygoing to be 20, 30, 50...guess I'm not clear on that.

Or did you mean the 11" vs 9" won't do much better?

I was wanting the new unreleased coil.

timelord

Sep 1, 2014
Sheboygan WI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Fisher F5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've done that with my Fisher F5 compared to my Safari. Safari win but that's no surprise... Now the Safari stock coil verse 15" WOT that's fun going back to pounded parks..... What I thought was ground with no coins left have in the last year have given up at one park 7 IH, 1 barber quarter, two barber dimes, a V, and more wheats than I can count..... And I have 1/2 the park to go. In fact it open that half the last two days......

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is that because the smaller coil is not going to run the current frequency offerings? It's onlygoing to be 20, 30, 50...guess I'm not clear on that.

Or did you mean the 11" vs 9" won't do much better?

I was wanting the new unreleased coil.

What I'm saying is the 11" will deal fine with your trashy area, its plenty fast enough. Target separation will be a slight issue but with the 12kzh your get more depth than 18. Since using the 11", I have never returned to my stock 9".

No idea what the 'new unreleased coil' will be like.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish I had someone as proficient using the Deus as I am with the V3i to run head to head with in iron.

The settings are cake on the Deus, it's the coil is too large imo. In nails and smallish iron Deus performs fine with the 11. But with large, flat rusted steel scattered within the soil, it's too much under one coil until the gaps are found. The small SEF coil (recovery delay 38 and very tight coil wiggles) gets right up next to the big stuff without overload. And it hits more gaps. Notice the iron stain on the rosie found nearly touching sheetmetal slightly lower to the side. The sheetmetal was about two fists in diameter and nails tossed into the mix. Even the 8x6 coil is puahing it at times.

Onething the Deus does better is find rings and buckles..especially steel and iron rings. Deus says, Iron Ring = Silver Quarter ; what a tease.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wish I had someone as proficient using the Deus as I am with the V3i to run head to head with in iron.

The settings are cake on the Deus, it's the coil is too large imo. In nails and smallish iron Deus performs fine with the 11. But with large, flat rusted steel scattered within the soil, it's too much under one coil until the gaps are found. The small SEF coil (recovery delay 38 and very tight coil wiggles) gets right up next to the big stuff without overload. And it hits more gaps. Notice the iron stain on the rosie found nearly touching sheetmetal slightly lower to the side. The sheetmetal was about two fists in diameter and nails tossed into the mix. Even the 8x6 coil is puahing it at times.

Onething the Deus does better is find rings and buckles..especially steel and iron rings. Deus says, Iron Ring = Silver Quarter ; what a tease.

In that scenario, its simple, I would be clearing all the big iron, whatever detector I had.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
In that scenario, its simple, I would be clearing all the big iron, whatever detector I had.

How else could I know the sheet metal was two fists in diameter. :thumbsup:

It's not much fun digging out a 40# hunk of iron at 8" depth on the tip to armpit deep. This place is nasty, but very heavily used almost since the city began up to the 70's then abandonded. There is much more there for sure, but not much for cherry picking anymore. One has to work at it.

CZconnoisseur

Jun 29, 2015
Colorado Springs CO
Detector(s) used
XP Deus All Three Coils (9" currently), Tesoro Vaquero 8x9 and 5.75" DD coil, Fisher F70, White's Spectrum XLT, White's IDX, Garrett AT Pro, Fisher 1265-X, Fisher CZ5, Fisher CZ6, White's TM808, White
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I'm your Huckleberry :laughing7:

I've used all three Deus coils and started with the larger 11X13 coil. This coil some say was "noseheavy" but coming from an analog Fisher CZ6 it was the cat's meow for me at the time. Shortly afterwards XP released the round 11" coil, and I used it heavily for almost 2 years. Had a very irony and trash-infested area to break in both coils, dug plenty of trash but got to where those toasty Wheats and nickels would have a little something extra in the audio...

So back in March I picked up the original 9" Deus coil....and this coil seems to blow the socks off of the other two coils! I've gone back to three parks in the area that I've murdered with the 11" coil last year...and continue to pull deep old coins co-located with all kinds of nails, foil, and junk.

I've always liked the v3i feature of using three tones to determine probable target composition - that's a fantastic feature and I hope White's expands on the concept. XP's new coil and software update for the existing coils will hopefully address some of the "falsing at the end of a sweep" at low Reactivity settings and help ID deeper targets a bit better.

But one thing I've learned with all these coils is that swing speed is the most important factor for finding those more difficult targets. Having the ability to adjust processing speed (Reactivity) to suit the ground is probably the most valuable feature in the software IMO.

I heard from a little birdie that XP is releasing version 4.0 -AND- the new coil in conjunction with the XP European Gold Rally Sept 15-16....

Patriot Relics

Silver Member
Feb 6, 2014
Lowcountry, South Carolina / Richmond, Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030, Deus XP II
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Agreeded, I switch between machines almost every hunt

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Curious to find out how you had your Deus setup. I see you were operating in 18khz. What were your other settings?

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
18Khz
Sens 82
Disc 0
Full Tones
Reactivity 3
Silencer -1
Notch - none
Audio Response 3
Overload 1
Manual GB 88 ( adjusted to +1 )
Notch Ground - none

jadocs

Bronze Member
Jun 8, 2016
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would try it again at 12khz, run some Disc or notch since your hunting clad which will also enable the horseshoe to function properly (ferrous/non-ferrous indication). Do you remember what the TX Power was?

Gridwalker306

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus, ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm with Crusader on you not needing a smaller coil. I saw guys in England using the 11 inch coil find the tiniest quarter cut hammered silver coin fragments. The Deus speed is so much faster than everybody else, even just set on reactivity 3. Coupled with the depth of a larger coil, I think you are all set.

If you're looking for those tiny hammered coin fragments, or other tiny things like minuscule gold nuggets, the 18 kHz would be a good choice.

I find the 12 kHz to be best for me, looking for old coins, jewelry, and various small to medium size relics. The 12 KHz will still hit really hard on small North American coins like half dimes at good depth, without making tiny flakes of foil sound like good targets.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm your Huckleberry :laughing7:

I've used all three Deus coils and started with the larger 11X13 coil. This coil some say was "noseheavy" but coming from an analog Fisher CZ6 it was the cat's meow for me at the time. Shortly afterwards XP released the round 11" coil, and I used it heavily for almost 2 years. Had a very irony and trash-infested area to break in both coils, dug plenty of trash but got to where those toasty Wheats and nickels would have a little something extra in the audio...

So back in March I picked up the original 9" Deus coil....and this coil seems to blow the socks off of the other two coils! I've gone back to three parks in the area that I've murdered with the 11" coil last year...and continue to pull deep old coins co-located with all kinds of nails, foil, and junk.

I've always liked the v3i feature of using three tones to determine probable target composition - that's a fantastic feature and I hope White's expands on the concept. XP's new coil and software update for the existing coils will hopefully address some of the "falsing at the end of a sweep" at low Reactivity settings and help ID deeper targets a bit better.

But one thing I've learned with all these coils is that swing speed is the most important factor for finding those more difficult targets. Having the ability to adjust processing speed (Reactivity) to suit the ground is probably the most valuable feature in the software IMO.

I heard from a little birdie that XP is releasing version 4.0 -AND- the new coil in conjunction with the XP European Gold Rally Sept 15-16....

I'd be all over a head2head if we lived closer.It'll be at least 9 months before I get out there again. Perhaps we can have a run together when the time comes.

I slowed swing speed down when hunting, althoufh not as slow as the V3i sweep speed, there seems to be a minimum sweep speed for the Deus. Deus doesn't seem to do 1/2 foot per second (and slower) very well. What FPS do you typically use with the 11?

I vary from 1Fps in iron to 4 FPS in open fields with light trash. The fast FPS speed in sports fields misses surprisingly little in the top 6".

I'm going to run more H2H in the autumn. I have a virgin farmstead that's produced one silver quarter on a scout back in Mar. Until then I'm going to keep plugging away studying and adding hours under the backphones.

OP
OP
Deft Tones

Deft Tones

Bronze Member
Mar 24, 2016
Hawkeye State - Area 515
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I would try it again at 12khz, run some Disc or notch since your hunting clad which will also enable the horseshoe to function properly (ferrous/non-ferrous indication). Do you remember what the TX Power was?

TX 1 in iron.

I only use tones. The horseshoe....meh.:thumb_down:
The times I've watched the horseshoe it tells me nothing more that's not already in the audio.

I can't even tell anyone the in ground VDI's of most recoveries. I just never remember to look.

Last edited:

Captain Caveman

Silver Member
May 14, 2015
Madison, MS
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75SE, F44, F2 and CZ-20. Minelab E-TRAC and Go-Find 60. Tesoro Tejon. BH Quick Silver.
Primary Interest:
Other
I've done the same thing with my ETRAC vs my F75se. Usually the ETRAC wins, but I've had times where the F75 finds stuff that I missed with the ETRAC.

I went to one particular yard on 3 occasions with the ETRAC and pulled multiple silver and IHPs. At that point, I thought the yard was hunted out. I went one last time with the F75 and pulled another 3 silver dimes.

I'm finding real value in a hitting a site with multiple detectors when I'm able to.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread