relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Poconos, Nw.NJ & Delaware Valley
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Other than the obvious 2 coils (vs one) and bt headphones ( vs wired) how important are the added performance settings on the 540 vs 440? Added disc segments, 5 tones vs 3 tones and 2 levels iron bias vs one? Do they really make a difference? I kinda like that V10 coil which is the one coil not in the pro pack.

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have only owned the 540 Pro-Pack so this is my biased opinion:
25 disc segments vs. 12 disc segments will allow you to reject more undesirables, important.
5 tones vs. 3 tones, probably not that important but I have only used the 540 and have become accustomed to its music.
High and Low Iron bias, important if you want to hunt in trashy or pounded-out areas and still pull good targets from places less machines could not.
Other considerations favoring the 540 include:
Iron Volume Control
Backlight
Rechargeable Batteries

I bought the 10" coil from Bart's Bog Boys Hobbies to add to my Pro-Pack. Its a great all-around coil if you are hunting between open and wooded areas.
Good luck,
DD

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I agree with you the V10 is a great all round size. I got a brand new pro pack for only $310 so I could add the V10. I had a440 but gave it up probably prematurely. Think I’ll like the 540. Won’t be my main detector but will be good addition

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The differences are slight, but usable. It is really about learning the machine's "language." Mid and High tones can give different vibrations, harmonics, just like low tones. Training your ears to recognize these tiny changes takes 150-200 hours on the headphones.

OP
OP
relicmeister

relicmeister

Bronze Member
Jul 26, 2012
Detector(s) used
XP Orx Deus II, 9” coil
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
For me it’s the 5x8 coil which will be more suited to my hunting sites, the two levels of iron bias and iron volume and the 5 tones. I never use notch options but with more segments who knows, could be helpful. The 12” coil will be used when I have a field to detect. Of course Bluetooth is convenient and the backlight good to have.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread