diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been caught hunting in a shower a few times with my 540. Once with the included oem control cover in place and once without. Kept the machine as dry as possible and ran for cover. I have not had any issues with water so far. Has anybody found a better protective cover on the market or devised a good method for rain proofing the Vanquish?

I'm heading out to an 1820's farmhouse permission tomorrow. Intermittent showers are forecast all day. I have stretched a plastic bag over the control housing and secured the oem control cover over that. Would be interested to see how others are coping with wet weather. Any ideas?

DD

HighPlainsHunter

Apr 17, 2008
Forney, Texas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been caught hunting in a shower a few times with my 540. Once with the included oem control cover in place and once without. Kept the machine as dry as possible and ran for cover. I have not had any issues with water so far. Has anybody found a better protective cover on the market or devised a good method for rain proofing the Vanquish?

I'm heading out to an 1820's farmhouse permission tomorrow. Intermittent showers are forecast all day. I have stretched a plastic bag over the control housing and secured the oem control cover over that. Would be interested to see how others are coping with wet weather. Any ideas?

DD

A quart size ziplok bag would have been my suggestion. Make sure you cover the coil connection and headphone jack. Don't raise the coil higher than the control housing if it's wet...

OP
OP
diamonddave

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good advice! Thanks HighPlaninsHunter.

The plastic I used did the job but I'm still looking to build a better mousetrap. The Vanquish is too valuable to me to ruin in the rain but I had to scratch the itch for that permission. Rained a light mist for 5 hours straight before I called it a day. Only managed one IHP for my troubles.

DD

OP
OP
diamonddave

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FYI - interesting solution to water entry. Found this control mod for the 540 on Facebook. The mod is said to be available for all 3 models and waterproof until 10 meters. Cost: $250
sea ghost 6.jpg
sea ghost 2.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/Sea-Ghost-101743838386442/?ref=page_internal

supertraq

May 8, 2014
Pcola fl
Detector(s) used
Fisher cz6a,,,Fisher cz-20,,,,Teknetics gamma 6000,,"Tek Eurotek pro ,,Fisher gold bug s.e 2.9er,,Tek T2 ltd se,,Tek T2+,,Minelab Vanquish 540 and 340 and a new Nokta Legend and Garret Infinium
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Pull the rain cover off an tape over the battery compartment would keep water out and reinstall the rain cover,don't use gorilla tape

Last edited:

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a ziplock bag on my machines. They have never failed. A rubber band around the base secures them.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread