All Treasure Hunting

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cibola/BandidoII u max/Quick draw II/Silver Umax
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Who knows what is under those wood chips in the ground.
I had a similar problem With my Bandido II and it turned out to be EMI
From my cell phone or others in the area. Those smart phones put out plenty of power
as do WI-FI. This may not be your case though it might be something under those chips
A power cable or something

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur 2, Fisher F75, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sandman said:
This is the nature of the game now days with all the signals bouncing around from all the jazz we think we need. This might help you understand it better.
It was written by a Fisher engineer but applies to all detectors.
http://electrical-interference-essay-by-first-texas-lead-engineer-dave-johnson

The link doesnt seem to be working for me. I mean my detector wasnt just going off randomly..it woukld make it seem like there were multiple signals in the same spot, but none of them were consistent..then when i would dig, the signal would barely be there or disappear

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there a big difference when air testing on a floor in a house even if there isnt a signal other than the coin...cuz i was tryin to detect a coin on my floor and it didnt detect it past like 5 inches..unless i had it supertuned

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bobby S said:
Sandman said:
This is the nature of the game now days with all the signals bouncing around from all the jazz we think we need. This might help you understand it better.
It was written by a Fisher engineer but applies to all detectors.
http://electrical-interference-essay-by-first-texas-lead-engineer-dave-johnson

The link doesnt seem to be working for me. I mean my detector wasnt just going off randomly..it woukld make it seem like there were multiple signals in the same spot, but none of them were consistent..then when i would dig, the signal would barely be there or disappear

Metal eyelets in you tennis shoes?

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Bobby S said:
Is there a big difference when air testing on a floor in a house even if there isnt a signal other than the coin...cuz i was tryin to detect a coin on my floor and it didnt detect it past like 5 inches..unless i had it supertuned

Do you have CFL light bulbs?
And wireless internet?
I have to turn all of my stuff off in my place to get a decent air test.
It is just crazy.

Elbandido

Dec 14, 2008
Vancouver washington
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I usually have the detector a good distance out in front of me....it was only in the wood chips that it happened...it was relle wet under the chips though. And for doing the air test in my house I have wireless and all that stuff.... I'm assuming that's why the depth on the air test sucked. I did notice though that when I put a 10k bracelet in front of it, it barely read it..why is that?

Terry Soloman

Gold Member
May 28, 2010
White Plains, New York
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Makro Legend// Pulsedive// Minelab GPZ 7000// Vanquish 540// Minelab Pro Find 35// Dune Kraken Sandscoop// Grave Digger Tools Tombstone shovel & Sidekick digger// Bunk's Hermit Pick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bobby S said:
I usually have the detector a good distance out in front of me....it was only in the wood chips that it happened...it was relle wet under the chips though. And for doing the air test in my house I have wireless and all that stuff.... I'm assuming that's why the depth on the air test sucked. I did notice though that when I put a 10k bracelet in front of it, it barely read it..why is that?

Quick heads up on chipped wood totlots - every 2-feet or so, there is a big stainless steel ground bolt holding the cover under the wood chips down over the sand underneath. The Vaquero is a lot of machine for a totlot. I have to turn my sensitivity way down in totlots on the Lobo. Wet soil = better depth, it does not effect the machine. Air tests are not accurate for depth. You need to put a penny, dime, nickel and quarter at 10" in holes in the dirt and try your test again! :headbang:

OP
OP
DigDugNY

DigDugNY

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2006
New York
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry Soloman said:
Bobby S said:

Quick heads up on chipped wood totlots - every 2-feet or so, there is a big stainless steel ground bolt holding the cover under the wood chips down over the sand underneath. The Vaquero is a lot of machine for a totlot. I have to turn my sensitivity way down in totlots on the Lobo. Wet soil = better depth, it does not effect the machine. Air tests are not accurate for depth. You need to put a penny, dime, nickel and quarter at 10" in holes in the dirt and try your test again! :headbang:

Haha thanks man, you are very reassuring!

cokat7

Sep 25, 2011
Primary Interest:
Other
Bobby

Wood chips do act a little funny. I have the best luck by ground balancing right out side of the woodchips. The detector sees through the woodchips and reads the minerals underneath (my philosophy). Ground balancing is an important key to quiet feedback from the machine unless over a good target as well as depth. In totlots disc at 10:00 or 11:00, so as not to miss any womans gold rings, sens around 8 and threshold at barely audible or audible. It's what works for me. I find myself continually digging through the woodchips to retrieve coins in the dirt underneath. I must add that it took me a couple weeks to get comfortable with it. Also when all-out supertuned airtesting the unit I have will pick up a quarter at 14" with a good repeatable dig signal, I will seldom if ever get that in the ground unless I'm at the beach or it rained for a day or 2. Good luck, I hope the unit works as well for you as it does for me.

ToddB64

Jan 7, 2007
Georgetown, Ohio, USA
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Gamma 6000,
Tesoro Bandido II µMax and
Compadre, White's Classic II,
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bobby S said:
So i tried using my Vaquero in some woodchips today. The detector wasnt acting too well in it. Could it be because the ground under the chips was wet? it just started acting up and giving false signals, I got kind of confused cuz in other parts of the woodchips it acted fine

Bobby,

Sometimes there are small-thin wire staples in the wood chips. Could be because there was a covering stapled over the stack of lumber before it was ground into chips. The staples become darkly stained from acids in the decomposing wood and are hard to see, especially if buried deeply in the wood.

If you have a pocket pinpointer it will be easier to isolate the exact chip giving off a signal. Then check it over closely on the outer surface and/or cut it open with a pocket knife to find the staple. That's the first thing I would do before assuming a "false signal".

Hope this is helpful. :dontknow:

ToddB64

BamaBill

Nov 8, 2006
N. Alabama
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-terra 70, AT Pro, Tesoro Tejon, ML X-terra 50
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
"I did notice though that when I put a 10k bracelet in front of it, it barely read it..why is that?"

It's because the detector is only registering on one link at a time in the chain. That is assuming you're talking about a chain-linked bracelet. With a fine chain the current isn't passing continuously along the chain.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread