vaquero vs cibola

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Vaquero will get more depth in more locations because it can be ground balanced where as the Cibola is set GB. If you are lucky to live in a place where there are not many minerals and only hunt certain areas you are OK with the entry level detector. Sorta like driving a Toyato when you could have been driving a real car.

Sorry, I can't help it. I wouldn't take a free Jap car in a contest. :o

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
Get a Cibola...good reviews and good depth.
I don't think in most situations you will be getting enough extra depth for the difference in price.
As Sandman mentioned though, location can make a difference. And you don't list a location. (Are you afraid someone is going to come and get you?? Bwaahahahahah! :D)

basstrackerman

Feb 15, 2007
Alabama
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jap car? toyota is 100% made in usa. employing us workers and putting food on there tables. i have been a chevy man my whole life but they are made everywhere but here. i worked in dealerships for 14 years and seen paperwork that stated only 40% of this chevy is made in usa. which is horrible. i was devistated. so i checked around and learned that toyota and honda have more american employees than most people think. all parts, machine work, and design is done here on usa soil. look at gm, they have stamped made in mexico right on the drive train and frame. so as i hang my head low i must admit.....i drive a toyota tundra and its been the best darn truck ive ever owned. i put more food on the table of americans by buying that truck than if i would have bought chevy. sorry for rambling on but its true. oh and everything else i buy i always look for made in usa first. have a wonderful day

SkiWhiz

Aug 6, 2006
Upstate New York
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Euro Sabre
I have used the Cibola and it is a good detector, I just bought a Vaquero but it is winter here and can't try it out, I am thinking it should get a bit better depth. Now about the foreign vehicle thing - you would have to prove it to me that a Toyota/Honda/etc. is made here in the USA. I am a firm believer that they come over on a boat and are only assembled here. You are correct about the Chevy being made with non USA parts - I own and drive a Chevy Cobalt, but in my mind it is as American as I can get. Baseball,apple pie & chevorlet. Steve.

P.S. I also wouldn't take a Toyota or whatever if I won it, wait yes I would take it, I wouldn't drive it I would sell it.

wildrider

Bronze Member
Feb 25, 2007
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Nautilus DMC IIb/White's 6000 Di Pro
I said the same thing. I'm a Ford man. But, I have only two Corrollas out in my driveway. I fill up about once a week now instead of every other day or so. I still wish I had my Explorer back though.

oldbill

Mar 25, 2006
I'll take all the toyotos you guys don't want! Only car made in america right now! I will even pay part of the shipping to me. Bill

kindafoundabuckle

Dec 9, 2006
In bed at the moment
Detector(s) used
Dowsing rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like it or not the "Jap" cars ARE the best on the road by far. I have worked on cars and trucks for 20 plus years and through my eyes with what I see coming into my bays day in and day out the Americans are much better than what they were 10 years ago but the Asian cars are a much higher quality than any coming out of Detroit at this time. When people ask me what kind of car should they buy I say without hesitation get a Camry since they are the best bang for the buck. If the folks asking are well off I say go ahead and get a Ford or Chevy. Why do I tell the "well off" people to buy domestic instead of import? They are the only ones who can afford to keep them on the road after the warranty runs out. :D  Most likely I will upset some apple pie eating members by my reply but I dont really think it is an opinion but fact by what I do and see 60 hours a week. Like it or not Im telling you what I see. I wish I could say the opposite but I can not lie......it is against the forums rules. Have a nice day!

KFB

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Basstrackerman, I am sorry I brought "Jap" cars. I worked for GM and hate thought that some of them are made else where. I didn't mean to highjack the post. By the way, I drive a Impala made in Canada.

Both Tesoro's are fine detectors and location is the deciding factor on which to use.

reed88

Dec 16, 2007
Detector(s) used
bandido 2 umax
Hello,
Dont mean to hijack this post any futher , but just got to add my two cents ,I drive a 89 240 volvo with over 200,00 miles on it , the things still running good and im driving it every day , what i dont understand is why people want to buy an 30,000 dollar car and pay like 400 to 500 a mth in payments per mth ,when they can take that money and fix up the old jalopy that they have , take my volvo that i have , i do all my mechanic work on it myself , dosent cost me probably 500 a year to keep it going , that beats monthley payments anytime , if yu ask me i say all our automobile jobs are going overseas due to the cheap labor over there , i can tell ya that foregin cars are better built from being a paint and bodyman for 15 yrs regardless of them ford truck commericals , shoot had a nissan four wheel drive that would do the same thing that the commericals are showin and saved more gas at the same time :) ,
just my two cents ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
reed

birdman

Gold Member
Jan 28, 2005
Choctaw Beach Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800 and ORX, tesoro Cibola with garret,whites and minelab pinpointers
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have both machines and both are great and I use the cibola as a back up/loaner. The Vaquero finds more in the North Dakota soil. I have went over places with the Cibola first and then the Vaquero and always pull stuff that the Cibola left behind. The soil here is very black and I am sure it must be highly mineralized . In mild soil they should work about the same but the ground balance is the key up here.

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
Hey Sandman, I'll take your advice on detectors 7 days a week. But as far as vehicles go, you need to do some more side by side testing. I have done that, I haven't worked for GM or any other American brand, as it stands today I'll never own an American brand vehicle again.
Wish you all the best
Muleskinner

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Muleskinner, The Toyato's may be a betterr car, but around here, Michigan where a lot of the auto manufacturing jobs are lost, these displaced workers are not shopping and others are laid off like dominoes. The laid off people aren't spending money like before and so those places are raising prices and laying off to try to keep the same profits.

The profits from these cars are going overseas even if the work is down south. I might convert yet, but it is hard for me to even look at them.

Stick with the Vaquero. This keeps the thread going............ Sorry ;D

muleskinner

Aug 8, 2007
West Michigan
Detector(s) used
minelab, tesoro
To get back on track, the Vaquero is the only detector on my wish list. That is if the Bandito I bought isn't to my liking. The problem is this side of the state is up to it's butt in snow.
Come on spring!

OP
OP
findit

findit

Jul 1, 2007
thanks muleskinner for getting us back on track. i do believe there are car forums on the internet. no offense sandman i do highly respect your opinions

johnnycat

Bronze Member
Aug 19, 2007
Mechanicsville, VA
Detector(s) used
Legend
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tried out my new Vaquero yesterday. It sure is different, detecting without a screen to look at. Found a few coins so I guess it was a good outing. The pinpointing still has me somewhat perplexed but I think it should come real soon. A couple of the coins were at least as deep as any I ever found with my MXT and I wasn't even super tuned or maxed out on the sensitivity. Hope this thread continues with more info on the Cibola. My brother is getting a Tesoro and one of his choices is the Cibola. Lets hear some more on the Cibola for a good comparison.

stoney56

Gold Member
Oct 4, 2004
Oklahoma
Soil mineralization does have an impact. I participated in a test whereas a silver dime was buried at 4" and a mini ball was buried at 6" in some heavily mineralized Arkansas soil. This was in an unworked pasture. Even with the Cibola super tuned, you had to listen hard to pick up the signal in disc mode, the all metal mode got a bit stronger. The DeLeon was even worse and the Fisher 1236X2 got a piece of them in iron null mode. None have manual ground balance however the Fisher 1270 got a strong hit on both. Unfortunately I didn't have a Vaquero or Tejon to run on that test to see if their ground balance would fare any better.

The DeLeon did pick up several strong mini ball signals at 6"-8" in a plowed field about a 1/2 mile away. Since the wife was running the Cibola in that field w/o any signals, I'd have to say she didn't get any targets under her coil.

The Cibola is a great little machine for certain things..I believe it works better in no to little mineralized soil and is actually designed as the Tesoro's answer to a competition machine with the freq. shift, faster sweep speed and recovery time, and targets that are 6" or less. That's not to say that it won't go deeper.It's also a nice, very light, turn on and go machine that works well for parks, house lots, and dry beach hunting (with it's 14.3 to 14.7 kHz freq., it should be a bit more sensitive to small gold).

Just a few thoughts and opinions.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry guys............I am on to many meds right now and maybe I shouldn't add my two cents or I should stick to the topic.

Gribnitz

Aug 1, 2004
Skip them both and go straight for the Tejon ;D

A little more, but it is a deeper machine than both the V and the C. Personally, I have both a Tejon and a Vaquero. The V is my competition and backup machine, the Tejon is my primary.

OP
OP
findit

findit

Jul 1, 2007
no problem sandman, always like to hear your opinion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread