monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Vanquish 440, E-Trac, Fisher F-Pulse pin-pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
What is the range of VDI on that machine as that is the answer. Rings can hit anywhere.
Anywhere?? Negative values?? With all due respect...I disagree.

Probabilities have a range as well...zero to one. Zero means "it ain't gonna happen". I'm asking for VDI values for rings that lean towards "more likely than not".

Last edited:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Anywhere?? Negative values?? With all due respect...I disagree.

Probabilities have a range as well...zero to one. Zero means "it ain't gonna happen". I'm asking for VDI values for rings that lean towards "more likely than not".
VDI numbers can still come in various id numbers depending on the purity of the gold and metal composition.

Charlie P. (NY)

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2006
South Central Upstate NY in the foothills of the h
Detector(s) used
Minelab Musketeer Advantage Pro w/8" & 10" DD coils/Fisher F75se(Upgraded to LTD2) w/11" DD, 6.5" concentric & 9.5" NEL Sharpshooter DD coils/Sunray FX-1 Probe & F-Point/Black Widows/Rattler headphone
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Depends upon the display/machine. Anywhere higher than a Nickel - usually right in with the foil and pull-tabs.

You won't get rings if ou don't dig a lot of junk as well.

OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Depends upon the display/machine. Anywhere higher than a Nickel - usually right in with the foil and pull-tabs.

You won't get rings if ou don't dig a lot of junk as well.
Then why have VDI values at all? Just beep when a (any) metallic object is under the coil...as in the earliest MD's. I very well know gold can be tricky as can the size/shape of the object...BUT I'm pretty sure rings are not present given negative values and or a number of the low to intermediate values as well. I am also pretty sure most silver and or gold, "adult" rings as an example will fall within two, fairly narrow spectrums...not the entire (negative to infinity) spectrum. That is all I am angling for.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Then why have VDI values at all? Just beep when a (any) metallic object is under the coil...as in the earliest MD's. I very well know gold can be tricky as can the size/shape of the object...BUT I'm pretty sure rings are not present given negative values and or a number of the low to intermediate values as well. I am also pretty sure most silver and or gold, "adult" rings as an example will fall within two, fairly narrow spectrums...not the entire (negative to infinity) spectrum. That is all I am angling for.
Negative numbers are ferrous targets, you would only dig negative numbers if you are hunting iron relics.

On nox most gold necklaces are 1-9, gold rings can fall between 11 and 30 depending on purity and the base metal used to make the different levels of gold. (10, 12, 14, 18, 22k). You don't want to just dig by vdi, you also have tone, and target response, how the target hits.

If you dig strictly by VDI only you will miss a lot of targets. I have dug gold that didn't sound good when I first hit it.

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say guys/gals...on a hunch, what VDI value do you expect to recover a ring? Your choice...gold or silver.
Here are some ring vdi numbers, all found with my 540:
Moving clockwise:
Small Silver 26
Silver Claddagh 27
US Quarter Ring 29
10K Gold 19
925 Silver 24
925 Silver Chunky 30 20220520_141819.jpg

OP
OP
monkeys uncle

monkeys uncle

Mar 26, 2014
Waxahachie, Tx
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It really does depend on the machine. On my old Equinox "good" targets started at about a 7. They were brass 18th century items. Gold would ring lower than silver. Silver is more conducive to metal detecting than gold is. On my Deus I or II, silver is generally over 85, closer to 90. Gold, it starts at 45 and the highest gold item I found rang out at a 92. The "45" was a small earring. The "92" a larger gold coin.

If you really want to know how your machine reads, you'll have to get some silver and gold items and them outside in the dirt.

Dylan Wheeler

Jul 10, 2022
Northeastern Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Nokta Gold Kruzer
Vanquish 440
I have a Vanquish 440, most of the time I dig VDI 24 and higher. That covers most silver coins, .10 .25, .50, and $1 coins.

Most nickels I’ve found at VDI 13
Zinc Pennies are like 18-22
Copper Pennies 24-25
Dimes are around 22

Some post 1965 quarters range from 25-low 30’s depending on ground condition/coin position & corrosion.

diamonddave

Jan 4, 2021
WESTERN PA
Detector(s) used
MINELAB VANQUISH 540 PP
MINELAB X-TERRA PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That covers most silver coins, .10 .25, .50, and $1 coins.
Hi Dylan, It looks like you got your Vanquish figured out for silver. I'm in Southwest PA and run similar settings on my 540 in custom mode but I start lower at 19 and higher. Most of the Indians I find are 19 or 20 on the VDI and I know if I'm finding Indians there could be some seated silver nearby.

I was lucky enough to find a half-dime this way that rang up a 19 on the VDI so you might want to consider letting some lower numbers in for coin shooting.

Good luck,
DD

Picketwire

Dec 10, 2017
SE Colorado
Detector(s) used
Lazer Trident SI, fisher gold bug, tesoro outlaw, mojave, compadre, stingray, teknetics t2 and omega 8000, fisher f2, garrett ace 250, compass judge 2, whites TRX, fisher F-pulse, Garrett carrot and r
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of people recommend digging nickel VIDs for gold rings. That is 13. I've read posts that say they have found them below nickel numbers too. If I were looking for gold rings, I would start at 13 or below. At 19 you will miss smaller gold rings.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread