Very confussed

furchaser

May 14, 2005
Des Moines Iowa
??? ???

Well, the wife gave the okay for a new metal detector. I have been out of it for over 10 years now. Had my heart set on White's DFX, but after reading all the posts on other forums, I am just more confussed. Don't want to go to the store not knowing what I want or what questions to ask. Looking for the top of the line. Need to take advantage of the wife while she is in a good mood! I live in Des Moines, IA and the only metal detecting store that is close is in Minneapolis. Don't want to be sold something I don't need. Planning a trip to California in 5 weeks. Would like to hit the beach a little bit, but most of my hunting will be old houses that have never !!!!!!!!!!!!! been hunted before. Can anyone give me suggestions? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanx!

Fur

Upvote 0

omnicognic

Bronze Member
Jan 22, 2005
Tampa, Florida
You came to the right place! Before long you will have more opinions than you know what to do with! My opinion is that Whites is a great brand and the DFX is a great dual frequency machine! Whatever machine you get, the best advice is to get out there and hunt because there is no better tool than experience and familiarity with your machine! Happy Hunting! omnicognic 8)

bakergeol

Bronze Member
Feb 4, 2004
Colorado
Detector(s) used
GS5 X-5 GMT
Believe me you haven't seen confusion yet. Just wait until everyone jumps in here. Nobody is wrong as there is a lot of great detectors out there including the DFX.
My advice is to do some more investigation on the forums on various detectors Minelab- Explorer 11, Fisher CZ-3D, Tesoro-Vaquero and Cibola, ect- get a handle on the street prices- use the Kellyco catalogue as a reference. Write down what the fair price is for these models. No do not make any decisions yet just be detector wise on what detectors are selling for.
Then on your trip to California- visit various detector shops- preferably those with a coin garden. Test detectors and find what you like not someone else's favorite. Iowa has no mineralization so any detector will work well.
There are some things that only you can decide e.g. I found the Explorer 11 to be a great machine but was poorly balanced and heavy. You may not like the sound or you may like a less complicated machine. Try as many out as you can. By the way California beaches are highly mineralized. I feel in your case try before you buy.

Just my 2 cents
George

bk

Bronze Member
Jan 19, 2005
SE Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer SE pro, Minelab Explorer XS, Garrett Freedom II (3), Garrett pro-pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
There used to be a metal detector dealer in Indianola, which is south of you. Don't remember the name. He may even be out of business, but wouldn't hurt to check it out.
Good Luck and welcome to the forum.

R

rvbvetter

Everybody is wrong and i'm right. No wait! Dang! I got that backwards again.
Bakergeol is right about the beaches here. You'll run into black sand on some of our beaches.
My old whites eagle worked great on the beaches here. Wet or dry. Recently i got the whites dfx and Minelab EXP II. I haven't been to the sand with either one yet. But i haven't heard anything bad about them on the beach here. And generally if theres a problem here you'll hear it. Haven't tried one yet, but actually i'm thinking about getting one. That's the fisher CZ 3D. Heard they do well here on the beach. The Minelab is a little heavier, but not all that much. Don't listen to the nay sayers. Unless you happen to be a 98 pound weakling like them. In that case you might want to stay away from the beach, unless you want sand in your face. Anything you want to know about the beaches here, feel free to PM me. HH

R

rvbvetter

Des Moines ? You aren't by chance the one that sold me a 68 plymouth GTX are you?

OP
OP
F

furchaser

May 14, 2005
Des Moines Iowa
i've never owned a GTO. and i think minnesota is closer than wisconsin. 35 is straight north 75 to 85 MPH. lacross you have to wind down back roads to get through iowa. thanx for the help

detectordave

Apr 6, 2005
Ann Arbor Meechigan
Detector(s) used
DFX WITH DX-1 PROBE AND XLT WITH XL-1 PROBE
I just had to chime in. I bought an XLT a few months back and absolutely loved it. Notice I said "loved" . The wife promptly liberated it. SO, I went and got a DFX, IM not completely convinced its better yet, than my XLT. I have heard its better in black sand, but I havent tried it yet. BUT! I am very happy I had a few months with the XLT first, to kind of learn the ropes. I think I would be overwhelmed with the DFX jumping straight into it. Is this helping at all? lol. It took me 6 months of comparing to decide too. HH dave. :)

Jdubya

May 19, 2005
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Very confussed ???

The Explorer II or the Sovereign GT will work best in that part of IA.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread