Very Cool Battle of Waterloo 1815 Flat Button and a Large Cent!

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greetings all,

I've been pretty sick for a couple weeks, but decided to get out for a quick hunt at a couple spots near my house. The first spot is one that I've hit probably over 100 times, but it still gives up stuff. The only notable relic I found there was an unassuming little flat button that turned out to be something pretty cool. When I cleaned it off I saw the word "WATERLOO" appear on the back! After doing a little research I found that these were made around 1815 or 1816 to commemorate the Duke of Wellington's victory over Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo!

The second place is a construction site where a really old Federal style house used to sit. They scraped up all the topsoil where the house sat and piled it into a big dirt pile. We've been hitting it every so often for the last several months and have found a few decent things. This time when I went back, I saw that they had moved the dirt pile another 20 feet over and uncovered a lot more brick and pottery. I ended up finding a flat button and a super old buckle. To me it looks like the buckle is WAY older than the house, which was built somewhere around 1810. If anyone can lend some info on the buckle, I'd definitely appreciate it! Anyway, I walked a grid on the area for another 20 minutes or so and then decided to head back to the dirt pile. On my way over to it I get a screaming 90 signal on my AT Max. I look down and see a Large Cent laying right on top of the ground! It ended up being an 1851 Braided Hair LC. I've been on a roll finding these things on top of the ground lately! I think it's my third one in a row that I didn't have to dig for :laughing7:. I hunted it for another half hour and only found a couple of other trinkets, a small musket ball and a Goodyear's Patent button. At this point I was exhausted, so I decided to call it quits. All in all I'd say it was a good hunt! I'm still super excited over that Waterloo button! Anyway, thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

Fox

Attachments

• 05012022-1.jpg
    05012022-1.jpg
    206.5 KB · Views: 160
  • 05012022-2.jpg
    05012022-2.jpg
    120.2 KB · Views: 90
  • 05012022-3.jpg
    05012022-3.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 102
  • 05012022-5.jpg
    05012022-5.jpg
    122.7 KB · Views: 92
  • 05012022-6.jpg
    05012022-6.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 98
Upvote 18

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Greetings all,

I've been pretty sick for a couple weeks, but decided to get out for a quick hunt at a couple spots near my house. The first spot is one that I've hit probably over 100 times, but it still gives up stuff. The only notable relic I found there was an unassuming little flat button that turned out to be something pretty cool. When I cleaned it off I saw the word "WATERLOO" appear on the back! After doing a little research I found that these were made around 1815 or 1816 to commemorate the Duke of Wellington's victory over Napoleon at the Battle of Waterloo!

The second place is a construction site where a really old Federal style house used to sit. They scraped up all the topsoil where the house sat and piled it into a big dirt pile. We've been hitting it every so often for the last several months and have found a few decent things. This time when I went back, I saw that they had moved the dirt pile another 20 feet over and uncovered a lot more brick and pottery. I ended up finding a flat button and a super old buckle. To me it looks like the buckle is WAY older than the house, which was built somewhere around 1810. If anyone can lend some info on the buckle, I'd definitely appreciate it! Anyway, I walked a grid on the area for another 20 minutes or so and then decided to head back to the dirt pile. On my way over to it I get a screaming 90 signal on my AT Max. I look down and see a Large Cent laying right on top of the ground! It ended up being an 1851 Braided Hair LC. I've been on a roll finding these things on top of the ground lately! I think it's my third one in a row that I didn't have to dig for :laughing7:. I hunted it for another half hour and only found a couple of other trinkets, a small musket ball and a Goodyear's Patent button. At this point I was exhausted, so I decided to call it quits. All in all I'd say it was a good hunt! I'm still super excited over that Waterloo button! Anyway, thanks for looking and Happy Hunting!

Fox
great finds all around and that largie is in great condition. wtg

OP
OP
FoxHound0985

FoxHound0985

Feb 5, 2005
Amber Waves of Grain!
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max/AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice LC. That button looks more like a two piece button than a flat, maybe a bit later than 1816..?

Thanks! It's most definitely a flat button. That's just a ring that's part of the design.

Attachments

• 05012022-7.jpg
    05012022-7.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 31
  • 05012022-8.jpg
    05012022-8.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 34

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice finds Aureus I think ios correct about the button

Aureus

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2016
Eastern Canada
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! It's most definitely a flat button. That's just a ring that's part of the design.
Ah ok. From the pic it looked like a hollow two piece and not a solid copper/brass one piece flat button. It does look a little too thick for one as well, but it's hard to judge by the pic.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Very nice button, and that LC is in great shape. Congrats!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Greetings all,

Fox
You killed it today! Congratulations

gunsil

Silver Member
Dec 27, 2012
lower hudson valley, N.Y.
Detector(s) used
safari, ATPro, infinium, old Garrett BFO, Excal, Nox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There was button company in Waterloo, Canada in the late 1800s. The OP button does look like a two piece button.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings all,

Fox
Very Cool!!! Congrats!!!!

snaps

May 6, 2009
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
Goldmaxx, Compass GSP, Garrett Infinium
Greetings all,

Fox
Sweet button! I found one very similar A few years ago. There were several variations made.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible finds, especially the condition of that LC- Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread