Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting next to remote small pond used as a watering hole in 1600-1700's. Deep iron targets turned out to be oxen shoes. I know the site is early as I found a Massachusetts Colony coin dated 16?? Back is slick and of little help. Does read NEW ENGLAND around the out side. Very thin, silver like finish but slight hint of copper as well. I don't think the silver quality is very high. Rings a solid 13 on my Equinox 800. But certainly a bucket list coin for me.

Two Trefid spoon handles are old. Both pewter. The finer finished one on top probably 1680-1720. One on bottom looks much older, might be post mid evil. Very similar to the Dutch spoon handles of the early 1600 period. Probably brought over as much of utensils and other items here.

Collection of pewter buttons. All found down deep an certainly show it. Ones with the crosses are very interesting.

Pewter (soft, almost like lead) salt shaker top. A solid brass oxen nob. Found along side the trail to the pond. Probably 1800+

Several buckles all next to the pond. They match up with the chart of 1600-1700 buckles. Just common use buckles, nothing very fancy but been sitting there for a very long time!
Thanks for looking, Bill

Attachments

• spoon handles.jpg
    spoon handles.jpg
    243 KB · Views: 255
  • pewter buttons.jpg
    pewter buttons.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 143
  • pewter salt s.jpg
    pewter salt s.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 251
  • MA coin 1.jpg
    MA coin 1.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 257
  • ma coin back.jpg
    ma coin back.jpg
    204.1 KB · Views: 268
  • early buckles list.jpg
    early buckles list.jpg
    587.9 KB · Views: 213
Upvote 32

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Detecting next to remote small pond used as a watering hole in 1600-1700's. Deep iron targets turned out to be oxen shoes. I know the site is early as I found a Massachusetts Colony coin dated 16?? Back is slick and of little help. Does read NEW ENGLAND around the out side. Very thin, silver like finish but slight hint of copper as well. I don't think the silver quality is very high. Rings a solid 13 on my Equinox 800. But certainly a bucket list coin for me.

Two Trefid spoon handles are old. Both pewter. The finer finished one on top probably 1680-1720. One on bottom looks much older, might be post mid evil. Very similar to the Dutch spoon handles of the early 1600 period. Probably brought over as much of utensils and other items here.

Collection of pewter buttons. All found down deep an certainly show it. Ones with the crosses are very interesting.

Pewter (soft, almost like lead) salt shaker top. A solid brass oxen nob. Found along side the trail to the pond. Probably 1800+

Several buckles all next to the pond. They match up with the chart of 1600-1700 buckles. Just common use buckles, nothing very fancy but been sitting there for a very long time!
Thanks for looking, Bill
Very Cool!!! Early Spot!!! Congrats!!!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
"Cape Hunter", I'd first like to say that I really enjoy viewing the finds of you & your fellow Cape hunters & those who detect the old South Shore towns on the Plymouth side of the Canal. Back in the day, I used to hit the bay side & the ocean side of Wellfleet & Eastham (Marconi & Nauset) before they tightened the laws on the ocean side to protect the Piping Plovers & Clifford's claim to Sam Bellamy's ship's treasures.
I'm sure you know that your coin most resembles the old Oak & Pinetree Shillings & Pences. I think checking your diameter which should lie between 21 & 31 MM would narrow it down a bit. I can't see the words from your photos, but they seem to be the only coins that have that inner circle with with the words "New England" around the outside edge of that inner circle. I turned your photo upside down & put it next to yours so maybe you can line up the letters you can see with what looks like a number inside that inner circle. I see what looks like a "0" which could be part of a "6" or a "9". Tough one to identify but maybe you can by examining it & comparing under high magnification.
Nice & very cool old find regardless. Congrats.
Cape Hunter's coin:
Cape Hunters coin.png

Oak Tree Shilling:
Oak tree shilling.jpg

Pine Tree Shilling:
Pine tree shilling.jpg

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Cape Hunter", I'd first like to say that I really enjoy viewing the finds of you & your fellow Cape hunters & those who detect the old South Shore towns on the Plymouth side of the Canal. Back in the day, I used to hit the bay side & the ocean side of Wellfleet & Eastham (Marconi & Nauset) before they tightened the laws on the ocean side to protect the Piping Plovers & Clifford's claim to Sam Bellamy's ship's treasures.
I'm sure you know that your coin most resembles the old Oak & Pinetree Shillings & Pences. I think checking your diameter which should lie between 21 & 31 MM would narrow it down a bit. I can't see the words from your photos, but they seem to be the only coins that have that inner circle with with the words "New England" around the outside edge of that inner circle. I turned your photo upside down & put it next to yours so maybe you can line up the letters you can see with what looks like a number inside that inner circle. I see what looks like a "0" which could be part of a "6" or a "9". Tough one to identify but maybe you can by examining it & comparing under high magnification.
Nice & very cool old find regardless. Congrats.
Cape Hunter's coin:
View attachment 2017983
Oak Tree Shilling:
View attachment 2017981
Pine Tree Shilling:
View attachment 2017982
Many Thanks Jose for the help in matching up this coin. I will post the size today. The reflection is making it hard to allow a decent pic. Will also see what I can do to improve the detail. I really should buy a macro lens. Funny, the pond where I found it was rumored to have been the place where someone else had found a very valuable coin. I guess I know what kind of coin they found now. Only rings at 13 on my Equinox with 11" coil and that's on the surface. I was digging a very soft sounding but consistent 8-10 thinking probably a small musket ball. Surprise! I now have the CTX 3030 and plan to go back over the whole area in the silver mode for a start.

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Thanks for looking, Bill
great saves all around, wtg

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Thanks for looking, Bill
I may be moving to Massachusetts....and hopefully joining a detectorist's group there...and recovering some historical bits and bobs...great finds!

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many Thanks Jose for the help in matching up this coin. I will post the size today. The reflection is making it hard to allow a decent pic. Will also see what I can do to improve the detail. I really should buy a macro lens. Funny, the pond where I found it was rumored to have been the place where someone else had found a very valuable coin. I guess I know what kind of coin they found now. Only rings at 13 on my Equinox with 11" coil and that's on the surface. I was digging a very soft sounding but consistent 8-10 thinking probably a small musket ball. Surprise! I now have the CTX 3030 and plan to go back over the whole area in the silver mode for a start.
The size of the coin is 22mm. Little worn around the edges. Still working on a quality image.

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely amazing finds neighbor! Mass coins are the holy grail- Congrats & welcome to the club!!!
Thanks Jeff. Wish the coin was in better condition but I'm sure there there might more out there.

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I may be moving to Massachusetts....and hopefully joining a detectorist's group there...and recovering some historical bits and bobs...great finds!
Thanks Coinstar.
I'm almost at ground zero for early dates. Just found a circa 1695 King William III half penny this morning. Saving up for a new post soon.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder is the Mass coin is a contemporary forgery?!

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wonder is the Mass coin is a contemporary forgery?!
I can't imagine it is. The spot I dug was mixed broken brick, clam shells and some iron nails. Pond side Homesite but not on any map. Down a good foot plus in hard pack soil. Home may have been built in the 1600's. That's how I acquired it. Pretty sure it's at least old.

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't imagine it is. The spot I dug was mixed broken brick, clam shells and some iron nails. Pond side Homesite but not on any map. Down a good foot plus in hard pack soil. Home may have been built in the 1600's. That's how I acquired it. Pretty sure it's at least old.
I stated 'Contemporary' not modern. It happed 2000+ years ago all the way to the modern day. If it is, it's interesting & needs confirming.

OP
OP
Cape Hunter

Cape Hunter

May 17, 2019
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 900
Minelab CTX 3030
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stated 'Contemporary' not modern. It happed 2000+ years ago all the way to the modern day. If it is, it's interesting & needs confirming.
Oh, sorry. Miss connotation on my end. I make my living as a professional artist. So I think in terms of being know as a Contemporary painter. Although I paint out of period. Not sure if this like will come up. My works are mostly historical views.
https://www.wrdfa.com/portfolio-viewer?#lg=1&artworkId=4106213

I do plan to have the the coin authenticated, but have no plans to ever sell what I find. Everything will go to either the Harwich Land Conservation of Historical Society here on the Cape.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions