Video link to my new device.....

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a link to a video I did last fall at Bonanza Bar on the Snake. The prototype was built using a cutoff 55 gallon drum. Diameter is about 22". The units I'm selling are 18". They weigh about 11lbs. Made of painted mild steel, with some moving parts made of stainless. Time to let this cat out of the bag...LOL. Looking forward to comments, good or bad. It doesn't look like much, does it? Hard to believe how well it recovers the ultra-fine gold, even fed nearly bank-run material. And very little water for it's size. The bed is 254 sq.inches.
Jim

Last edited:
Upvote 1
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim,

That is an impressive piece of equipment you've designed! Could it be scaled down for extreme portability? Similar to taking a gold pan to a foot access only, back country stream. I spend a lot of time hunting the mountainsides here in southern AZ and stumble upon spots that scream "GOLD DEPOSIT HERE!". I would love to have a tiny sampling unit paired with an MD20 and return to those spots after hunting season when it gets nice and dry here. I've got an 11" diameter in my head as that is the diameter of a standard 5 gallon bucket.

Thanks
Jay
Actually, Jay, I've got a new jig designed, built and tested. Just haven't posted the video yet. A small one would work great in a 5 gallon bucket, and the feed rate, and efficiency have been greatly enhanced over the previous unit. I guess I better get that video up, and get the plans completed and listed.
Jim

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites, Fisher, Garrett, and Falcon.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Actually, Jay, I've got a new jig designed, built and tested. Just haven't posted the video yet. A small one would work great in a 5 gallon bucket, and the feed rate, and efficiency have been greatly enhanced over the previous unit. I guess I better get that video up, and get the plans completed and listed.
Jim
Lookin forward to seeing the video or pictures.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
My new one is based on the Pleitz jiug from Australia. It has a round screen. The screen moves up and down, rather than the water column moving up and down. So, there's much less energy required for an equal volume of gravel, and a higher feed rate because the oscillation is 3 times the pulse rate of the older mineral jigs. If you search on Youtube under "Pleitz jig" there's a guy using one. He uses it at Crater of Diamonds in Arkansas. Mine is made entirely of aluminum and stainless. It has a 10" screen diameter. I set it on a 30 gallon tub. It weighs about 30 lbs

Blackbeard_O

May 20, 2022
Tucson, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Original
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Jim
I'm already working on the sales pitch to my wife. I'm looking forward to the new videos.

Thanks,
Jay

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Just a idea having two screens say a 200 and 400 mesh screens going up and down for very fine values. Anyone do this?
Thanks.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On second thought one screen at a time is enough plus these screens are thin enough that some support is needed. The thin screens could fall apart quickly unless supported.

Would a rocking action work as well? Rockers goes way back.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
On second thought one screen at a time is enough plus these screens are thin enough that some support is needed. The thin screens could fall apart quickly unless supported.

Would a rocking action work as well? Rockers goes way back.
Interestingly enough, it was watching a rocker that gave me the idea for the sweep jig.
Jim

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Interestingly enough, it was watching a rocker that gave me the idea for the sweep jig.
Jim
This may sound silly I got an idea for my 16" steel pan that I would like to turn into a rocking pan. The core of the machine will be a all ready made treadle sewing machine stand from the 1920's. The down side is the size and it is not light however I think will hold up fairly well for the project.

I just plugged in my old cell phone to charge up and will take some pictures soon to post.

The harder part will be the sheet metal tub with metal enclose to contain the mess as I would like to run dry or wet both making a good mess for sure.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
The treadle rocking steel pan will just be a concentrator. I would like to replace the steel pan with some kind of very fine screen for a self cleaning classifier / concentrator as the next step of the general process. Any ideas here?
Thanks.

Assembler

Silver Member
May 10, 2017
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Some pictures:

Attachments

• 16 steel pan.jpg
    16 steel pan.jpg