Video of my newly built Wilfley style Shaker table driver

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
'Way Too Cool' dual 18 Watt UV light
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Along with working on the house this winter, I finally got around to drawing-up, and building a new driver for my shaker table.

I really like Wilfley's designs, and wanted my driver to have the same adjustments as his. Working about 4 hours/day, it took me about 2 months to get it drawn and built, along with a few modifications that arose during the build. Finally finished yesterday, and made a video. I'm still polishing up the plans, and will probably have to disassemble it to take pics for the build instructions etc. I'll be selling the plans and, instructions at some point this spring, for the DIY clan.

Jim

Upvote 2
OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
White's GM2, GM3, DFX, Coinmaster, TDI-SL, GM24K, Falcon MD20, old Garrett Masterhunter BFO
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Looks pretty good. Where you get the slide bearings?

The slide bearings, and the main axle bearings are Vesconite. Long-lasting in low speed use, and don't require lubrication, though I put a drop of machine oil on now and then. I much prefer it over Delrin because it's quiet. On their website they have an engineering page where you can insert the data for your application, and they tell you if it will work OK.
If you are pressing the bushings into a housing, they also have the sizes to machine the ID, and OD of the bushing to so the finished bushing meets your specs. Pretty good company. I probably could have used Vesconite everywhere, but couldn't figure out an easy way to hold it in the toggle arm ends. I ended up using pressed-in sealed ball bearings. I've been thinking it might simplify the build to just make the entire toggle arms out of Vesconite.
Jim

Last edited:

russau

Gold Member
May 29, 2005
St. Louis, missouri
Supper build Jim ! I wanted to build one of these years back and started to assemble parts for it BUT never got around to doing it ! Now that I cant get out to do any dredgeing & prospecting the desire to finish my project is waining (for now ) and with your video I'm inspired again to build one since I cant get out BUT I dont need one any more BUT I'd still like to build one and probly use your plans . Your project looks GREAT & IMPRESSIVE ! CONGRADULATIONS !!!:icon_thumright:

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Along with working on the house this winter, I finally got around to drawing-up, and building a new driver for my shaker table.

I really like Wilfley's designs, and wanted my driver to have the same adjustments as his. Working about 4 hours/day, it took me about 2 months to get it drawn and built, along with a few modifications that arose during the build. Finally finished yesterday, and made a video. I'm still polishing up the plans, and will probably have to disassemble it to take pics for the build instructions etc. I'll be selling the plans and, instructions at some point this spring, for the DIY clan.

Jim

If ya can, PM me here when the plans are available. We have a guy here with a 5'x10' CNC router who can do a table top from aluminum. Be interesting to see how this would work out with a drive like this.

Could possibly end up with a decently priced AMERICAN MADE table and not chicom junk.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Mad....I'd kill for an aluminum table to go with this...assuming the price was reasonable. PM me your email address, and I'll send the blueprints. The plans aren't complete for an average person, but probably well enough for someone of your skill level. I'll convert them to a PDF so you can zoom in on them. Or, if you have a CAD program, I can send the raw DWG file. Let me know which you want.
Jim

Mad Machinist

Silver Member
Aug 18, 2010
Southeast Arizona
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Hey Mad....I'd kill for an aluminum table to go with this...assuming the price was reasonable. PM me your email address, and I'll send the blueprints. The plans aren't complete for an average person, but probably well enough for someone of your skill level. I'll convert them to a PDF so you can zoom in on them. Or, if you have a CAD program, I can send the raw DWG file. Let me know which you want.
Jim

PDF would work better for now. Upgrading my computer to take full advantage of Fusion360.

Kinda curious as to how the machining patterns will affect fine gold recovery. Should be like super fine riffles but who knows.

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I've been thinking along those lines myself. Shaker tables aren't really good at gold below about 30 mesh. I've been considering sanding across the upslope on my table to help trap the small gold, so it moves faster towards the concentrate end. Some tight classifying of the feed might help on the small gold, too. Small gold probably does better with riffles, too. Grooves may not give enough resistance to cross flow of small gold, and it may tend to move towards the tails too easily.
Sent you a PM this morning.
Jim

mummblz

Aug 7, 2022

Jim

hey new member here i like you table driver awsome set up im using a drill with a pitman for my table would definitely like to build one of these to be able adjust the stroke are you still providing plans for your mechanism if so id like to get my hands dirty

OP
OP
Jim in Idaho

Jim in Idaho

Silver Member
Jul 21, 2012
Blackfoot, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey new member here i like you table driver awsome set up im using a drill with a pitman for my table would definitely like to build one of these to be able adjust the stroke are you still providing plans for your mechanism if so id like to get my hands dirty
Yup...still sell all my various plans. The driver plans are $50, and I email them. My Paypal ID is <[email protected]>. If you have a CAD reader, which is available free online, I'll include the raw CAD file, too. That has some advantages over the standard .pdf files.
The plans include a bunch of pics, too, and assembly notes.
Jim

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread