Videos Killing CRH

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by my local bank branch yesterday to get some spending money after returning from vacation. There was a guy in there looking for rolls to search. The teller told him that all she had were rolls that I had already searched. He got mad at me and started yelling at me that I needed to share. I told him I've been doing this for many years and I get what I get each week. He then said (loudly) "I've made over $10,000 profit on coins from this branch alone in the last year!" After he left, the tellers all told me that in the last 6 months, they have been getting people coming in all the time trying to buy rolls to search and they are getting tired of it.
I'm not worried about being cut off as I exchange, I don't buy, so they have exactly the same coin that they had when I came in. It doesn't cost them anything, plus they like it that I count every roll and guarantee that the counts are correct when I bring them back and I replace the foreign coins with US (not including Canadian).
The problem is all the videos online of people finding stuff is encouraging others to try to buy rolls to look through. The tellers don't like it. Be careful.

Scott

Upvote 6

TheMastermind

Bronze Member
Mar 31, 2012
Pennsy
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I highly doubt that dude made $10k profit in one year from one branch, if he had he would have not needed to cry out loud about you not sharing. He'd have kept real quiet.

Just a blow hard upset that someone else has been doing what he just discovered for longer and has the relationships built up to make it as quick and painless as possible.

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My bank won't accept rolled coins anymore . some folks putting washers, plugs, blank round metal bits in the rolls to the point they stopped it coming IN. They do offer free coin counting machine if you are a member for coins you return in exchange for bills. you just sit down while their preparing those. I notice near the tellers they DO have rolled coins for their uses, never asked if they would sell those or not

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PUREST definition of stupid...
Someone who makes alot of money doing something...
and then makes a video bragging about it.

Stupidity at its finest... and stems from a "hey lookie at me... hey lookie at me... i am somebody".
Yep your somebody alright... heh
That famous saying from the movie Forrest Gump comes to mind...
"Stupid is as stupid does".

Last edited:

Riverbum

Jul 13, 2011
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The PUREST definition of stupid...
Someone who makes alot of money doing something...
and then makes a video bragging about it.

Stupidity at its finest... and stems from a "hey lookie at me... hey lookie at me... i am somebody".
Yep your somebody alright... heh
That famous saying from the movie Forrest Gump comes to mind...
"Stupid is as stupid does".
Its the same thing that gets some of us Treasure Hunters in trouble with Uncle Sam, when your braggin' about a real TREASURE like some do, only to find out UNCLE sam knows too

RustyRelics

Gold Member
Apr 5, 2019
Central PA
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600/Ancient Whites MXT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Todays profit minded people make me sick. Every youtube video I see, where someone finds an artillery shell, a neat coin, something, there's always a comment saying, "sell it, you'll get a lot of money!!". They're missing the point of why we search, and hunt, and dig.

FormerTeller

Bronze Member
Apr 24, 2011
They have been saying that youtube CRH videos are killing the hobby for 16 years that I am aware of.
I came here to say this. The thing is, it really is killing the hobby, and continues to do so. I stopped CRH'ing last July, as the finds were just so bad compared to what they were a few years ago.

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Few finds, and the banks won't cooperate anymore AND the gas to go get coins outweighs the value of what you might find.

OP
OP
S

srcdco

Dec 11, 2006
Western NY
Detector(s) used
Minelab Nox-800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I was in the branch on Friday, I asked if that guy had come back. They said he had a couple of times and now they'll only offer him rolls that I've searched. I thought that was funny.

Scott

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a bank tell me they would not sell me any rolls because i did not have an account there. I asked them what kind of account did i need and how much had to be in it. She told me at least 200 in a savings account. So i opened one right then and bought about $740 worth of halves. I did quite well on them also. If your wondering i closed the account in less then a week.
Some times peoples heirs will find a persons coin rolls and after there gone just take them to a bank for paper money :)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread