Videos vs written user reviews

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all of the time people take in order to make a video and share it for others to gain knowledge.

It takes several hours to edit a short 10 minute video.

However when I get here on the forum.....I would rather read a review based on someone's experience with a machine and what they thought about it more than I would clicking a link to a video of someone's review.

Am I the only one who feels this way or do some of you feel this way as well??

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Both take a long time. For me, doing the testing and writing a review is way less stressful and I don't have to worry about the audio/visual aspect at all or spend a lot of money on equipment. I would rather spend it on detectors......

I do like watching well done, as unbiased as possible video testing and reviews. The unbiased as possible part is really hard to pull off on camera. But when they are done well with as many details as possible, they inspire me to do the same testing or as similar as possible to see If I can get similar results. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to watch a few favorites I have on YouTube for sure.

But since we really do not have a detector magazine available in print anymore..... I have relied on detailed experiences from users here in the forum to take that place.

This section of the forum used to be one of my favorite hang outs......to see everyone's pro and con between machines......or to look at people's settings they shared for success

jmc24

Feb 24, 2020
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett Axiom, Minelab Equinox 800, Nokta Legend, XP Deus 2, FTP Tek Point, Garrott Carrot, Gold Hog River Sluices and Flow Pan, Royal Mini High Banker.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like to watch a few favorites I have on YouTube for sure.

But since we really do not have a detector magazine available in print anymore..... I have relied on detailed experiences from users here in the forum to take that place.

This section of the forum used to be one of my favorite hang outs......to see everyone's pro and con between machines......or to look at people's settings they shared for success
I am writing one in a few minutes for Calabash's Deus 2-Legend Gold coin test. He did a really good video! I am going to include an air test results using the same $1 gold coin and some smaller lead targets comparing Deus 2 Gold field, Legend Gold field and Equinox 800 Gold 2.

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I appreciate all of the time people take in order to make a video and share it for others to gain knowledge.

It takes several hours to edit a short 10 minute video.

However when I get here on the forum.....I would rather read a review based on someone's experience with a machine and what they thought about it more than I would clicking a link to a video of someone's review.

Am I the only one who feels this way or do some of you feel this way as well??
I go for the written review! I,m 70 years old so came late to the video thing.Takes up a lot less time to read and I,m a reader by experience. I appreciate the effort put into some videos,and some are indeed very good,but so many consist of face time for the videoer and a lot of unnecessary verbiage. For a textbook example of a good written review,see some of Colonel Dan,s reviews on here.Concise,to the point and good usable info for the reader.

OP
OP
bigtim1973

bigtim1973

Oct 12, 2007
Middle Tennessee
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II & XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I go for the written review! I,m 70 years old so came late to the video thing.Takes up a lot less time to read and I,m a reader by experience. I appreciate the effort put into some videos,and some are indeed very good,but so many consist of face time for the videoer and a lot of unnecessary verbiage. For a textbook example of a good written review,see some of Colonel Dan,s reviews on here.Concise,to the point and good usable info for the reader.
Yes I can retain more when i read something.

Dan does some great write ups on his experiences....that is one reason why I miss our printed magazine.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread