24.6 KB · Views: 1,340

romeo-1

Gold Member
Jul 29, 2005
Romeotopia
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I wouldn't think so...it is too "new" looking. Something iron and from the viking era would be heavily corroded.

OP
OP
newfyviking

newfyviking

Jun 24, 2007
sorry bout that its bronz and was 16 inches down.

Attachments

• spike4end.jpg
    spike4end.jpg
    13.8 KB · Views: 1,857

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome from the UK.

Where was it found?

I collect & study Anglo-Sanadinavian material & I think that it doesn't look typically Viking.

wolfpaw518

Oct 15, 2006
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Sharpshooter II
spikes.JPG

Looks the same as these. These [steel] spikes were found at a log cabin in Southern Minnesota that dates from the 1800s, they were forged long and square, cut to length and ground down on a couple of the sides to form a point. Basically big nails.

Now, I know that Viking artifact have been reportidly found in Minnesota (don't ask...it's a long story) but with all the immigration from Europe around that time, I think these were probably made here, by the immigrants, the same way they did it in the home country and with local materials.

As far as yours...Viking?Doubtful. Historic relic?Absolutely

I found 20 of these spikes, if your intrested and it doesn't cost to much I'll send you one. It would be interesting to compare them.

neil.

OP
OP
newfyviking

newfyviking

Jun 24, 2007
the spike i found is bronz, it was beside this peice of what looks like copper body armor. there is evidance of 1800's habitation so it could be as you say.

Attachments

• bodyarmorcederb.jpg
    bodyarmorcederb.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 1,245
  • bodyarmor.jpg
    bodyarmor.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 1,242

Bavaria Mike

Gold Member
Feb 7, 2005
Bavaria Germany
Detector(s) used
Minelab XT70, Fisher 1280, Garrett Ace 250 and MH5
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks to be a spike from an old ship. Probably 1700s or maybe earlier. I am no expert at all, I have only seen a few and a friend I detected with in the UK offered me one he found detecting under water off the coast of Rhode Island from a ship wreck. I stupidly did not accept it, still kicking myself in the butt for not taking it. HH, Mike

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
If the woven material in your picture is a natural material, and of that age....it would have disintegrated in the normal erosion of a beach environment. Not sure but did the vikings use polyester? ;D

Textiles are very fragile. If what you have is some kind of woven reed or other plant material from that period, the normal forces of a beach would still erode that.

Odds are you have found something from 19th century or later.

OP
OP
newfyviking

newfyviking

Jun 24, 2007
it came from behind the beach and the weaving is cedar. it was inside a rectangle made from mounds.

Tricia

Mar 5, 2007
What does the rest of it look like. To me, looks like a piece of old mat where the top surface - the weaving - has been ripped off and the bottom part is left.

Mounds of what? Dirt, clay, grass clippings and old banana peels?

Can you post a picture of the mounds in the rectangle formation?

Harry_Morant

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2006
Canberra
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it was found by a Newfy Viking so technically it is a viking artifact ;D - local historical organisation or museum should be able to provide more info.

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the mounds are made from beach gravel. hard to get a good picture, to much bush.

Attachments

• humps1.jpg
    humps1.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 1,126

Montana Jim

Gold Member
Sep 18, 2006
Montana
That's a damned interesting find... and with the armor(?) I am more intriqued... :-\

No constructive input here... just "good luck" in your search.

MEinWV

Bronze Member
Mar 10, 2007
West "by god" Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fishers CZ5 and 1280X
Newfy, That one looks just like the spikes I have found at a shipyard along the Maine coast. They have a square, flattened head and date in the 1800's. I have several that are intact that were found in the tidal muck along the old ways that were still visible. I figure they were dropped by the builders.

.....................HH

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
It looks similar to a broken piece of a brass/bronze spike (bottom) that I found ten feet deep on the treasure beaches from a 1715 shipwreck. Nice find.
Why is it not green?

Attachments

• old spikes.jpg
    old spikes.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,217
  • old spikes.jpg
    old spikes.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 1,177

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OOPS ;)
YUP
THERE IS DEFINATLY OVERLAPING HISTORY IN THIS SPOT.

hmmm

Jun 9, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HMMM , copper sheathing , tell me more.  I found this copper peice, it was covering a 3 inch peice of steal that is jamed in a rock, on the beach.

Attachments

• copper.jpg
    copper.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 1,025

Bigcypresshunter

Gold Member
Dec 15, 2004
South Florida
Detector(s) used
70's Whites TM Amphibian, HH Pulse, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
hmmm said:
HMMM , copper sheathing , tell me more. I found this copper peice, it was covering a 3 inch peice of steal that is jamed in a rock, on the beach.
Maybe closer to the saltwater causes the green patina.
Copper sheathing did prove to work better than lead sheathing. It covered the underwater portion of wood to protect from wormholes. I believe the sheathing was put on with smaller nails though. What you found is a large spike that could have been used to hold together timbers on an earlier lead sheathed ship.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions