Vinegar

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Annapolis Junction, Maryland
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a few ways to clean then cleanse rocks and minerals. Yes rocks and minerals need both.. However make sure your rock can be clean first, Rocks like Muscovite (rock, stone or mud in layers of mica) or Mica can not be clean because they are made or built up of layers and if goten wet the layers will seperate. (if you follow me)
100E1809.JPG_thumb.jpg

Image above: Muscovite found in southern PA Which shouldn't be clean due to its loose structure.

As with jewelry, vinegar can be used to clean stones as well as the silver and gold.. often this would include Backing soda thus creating a foaming actuion to loosen dirt etc.. I've even found that in some cases efferdent can be gemntal enough to clean jewelry and stoens as well and is even safe for amber.

But I have found that Dawn foam or soemthign with (oxy) in it like 20 mule team or ivory snow can gently clean stones too. One thing you need to becarefull of is not to use harsh chemicals.. I've seen and heard horror stories about using chemicals to treat stones to round the stones.. I cant recall what the chemical was called and would rather forget it.

Often this means testing and more testing, there isn't a sure fire way to clean stones other then preforming several pretumblings which I've done before and helps create softer and more rounded edges. One would need to cut and shape the stone before simply throuwing the stoens into the tumbler. Some stoens would and can develope pockets that can trap grit and polish thus contaminating the entire tumbling. Yes even your jewelry can be tumbled polished.

As for the "Cleansing" this has to do with making the stone awake of its surroundings.. Often and many have done this for years, for soem odd reason they feel that the stones should be cleansed with Salt.. and left in the sunlight.. Both are false Never cleans stoens with any salt or saline solution and never leave them in the sunlight.

I Speak more about these rituals on my twitter page and I've even written a 10 page documant on the subject.. Though this is a treasure hunters forums.. There are those they may vernture over for sites which I partiupate in just to find out what it is they have and whats the best way to clean and cleanse their items.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you sir or lady.

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Follow up: Rock.. try this one a lone stone fist.. create a allumin foil bowl about the size of a soup bowl, then place the stone in the foil.. One table spoon of baking soda in the foil as well.. then at the last moment, add just a cap full or just enough vinegar to cover said stone. wait for the bubbling action then see if this gently cleans the stone.. You may need to invest in a tumbler (vibe) and some ivory snow etc to clean the stones thouroghly. Again, I've found that dawn foam and a tooth brush cleans all that I'll ever need unless I have allot of the same type (hardness of stone) to clean then I would break out the tumbler.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, I found a nice piece of Chert the other day but havent cleaned it yet. When its clean I will post it.

Upvote 0

Eu_citzen

Gold Member
Sep 19, 2006
Sweden
Detector(s) used
White's V3, Minelab Explorer II & XP Deus.
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
How about warm water and soap?

It really depends on with what it is covered and what mineral it is. :)

Example: Do not try to clean calcite with vinegar. Ever.

Upvote 0

EricTheCat

Oct 4, 2011
Southern Minnesota
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vinegar works great to clean up the agates I find at a local lake. Many of the rocks at this lake are coated with essentially limestone. Usually I soak the rocks in vinegar for about 30 minutes to an hour. Then after washing them I usually soak them in soapy water for an hour since I have found it helps get rid of the vinegar smell.

I would echo Eu's comments that it depends what mineral and what it is covered with.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
rock

rock

Gold Member
Aug 25, 2012
South
Detector(s) used
Coin Finder
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And how do you go about changing your name?

Upvote 0

StoneWhisper

Apr 16, 2010
Primary Interest:
Other
Lol not that hard.. just contact the forums Admin and request a name change.. I told them that this was the last time I'd change my screen name.. Seems to suit me and my need here, twitter and facebook.

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions