Visited the Mexican border

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
PeteyGirl and I took a day trip down to the Mexican border. I plan on walking the Arizona Scenic Trail in the spring. Start it anyway.... it's 800 miles long, up to Utah. Because THE WALL is being re-built, the starting of the trail, at the border, is closed off right now.

From up near Montezuma Pass we could look back to see the border fence/wall.
Border long.jpg

We wound our way further up the mountain to Montezuma Pass.
You can see the snakedy road we came up.
Road up.jpg

And finally on top... as close (1.8 miles) as we could get to the border here.
Pass.jpg
The AZT goes through the parking lot here and up the mountain.

PeteyGirl and I continued on the road bordering Mexico until we came to Lochiel, AZ. Pronounced Low-keel.
This church was built by the De La Ossa family, which homesteaded this valley since circa 1880.
church.jpg chapel.jpg

Behind the church was the family graveyard. We followed the wishes of the posting.
cemetary.jpg

OOPS! almost flipped the Jeep while turning around up at the graveyard!
wheel.jpg

A very short walk from the graveyard was the Mex/US border fence.
Alice border.jpg

Down below, back in Lochiel (generations of De La Ossa still live here) is a school house.
I can't find the pic of the school but here is the oak in front of the one-room schoolhouse.
It is at least 7 foot in diameter!
oak.jpg

Continuing westbound, we came upon a monument commemorating where the first European to go west of the Rockies entered the US in what is now Arizona.
monument.jpg Fray.jpg

PeteyGirl and I continued on to Patagonia where we looked for rocks. A FULL day! ╦╦C

Attachments

• gate.jpg
    gate.jpg
    295.2 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:
OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incidentally, a border patrol officer said it was ok to visit the church so we went through the gate pictured. He was at the fence but declined his picture to be taken. ╦╦C

U.B.

Apr 27, 2015
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What a day, what an adventure! Thank you for sharing it with us. I can’t stop looking, at that oak tree, and wondering how it gets enough water to survive. By the way, you’ve got the best tag line. While I wouldn’t steal it, I most certainly share the sentiment.

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like an interesting back road exploration.
VERY back road! From Montezuma Pass to Patagonia, dirt/gravel all the way! We saw two more graves on the desert. ╦╦C

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Terry
Wow that’s a beautiful visit and good luck on trail to Utah ..
Perhaps one day when your on the East Coast try the Appalachian Trail and I’ll treat you to supper in New York
Take Care
I will certainly take you up on the dinner! If you go back far enough in the archives, you will find the post(s) where I crossed NY on the Eire Canal! and then down the Hudson. A memorable trip! Take care, my friend. ╦╦C

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry When you go MAKE SURE YOU ARE PACKING with PLENTY of AMMO

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Terry on your next trip down the Hudson River in NY stop and go for a ride in a WW1 open cockpit biplane at the Rhinebeck Aerodrome

njcommercialdiver

Feb 26, 2005
Eastern PA
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro,
MX500 Proton Mag
fisher gold bug, whites PI, Garrett gold scorpion
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
that brings back memories, many years ago, my dad and i used to go to the rhinebeck airshows every year. are they still flying the Bleriot?

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
that brings back memories, many years ago, my dad and i used to go to the rhinebeck airshows every year. are they still flying the Bleriot?
Not sure what models their flying but sometimes when I’m fishing in the Hudson River you surly can hear the sound of those old engines when they are gaining altitude

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Not a tourist attraction"
* writes it on wood in touristy old-west block letters * XD
I hear that they put on a good show or just going up for a ride could be a adventure of a lifetime in those open cockpit planes.
I’ve never have gone up but they are a nice sight to see

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Picture this: me, Dan, and my (then) wife Thenie, are motoring my sailboat east on the canal and we see a PLANE coming at us on the water! He pulled into a seaplane "airport" in front of us. I don't remember where this was but maybe one of you do. ╦╦C

GoDeep

Bronze Member
Nov 12, 2016
Detector(s) used
Whites, Garrett, Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a beautiful area! I get down to the Grand Canyon and the 4 corners area semi frequently but have never been down there, i'll have to put it on my to do list!

OP
OP
TerryC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Looks like a beautiful area! I get down to the Grand Canyon and the 4 corners area semi frequently but have never been down there, i'll have to put it on my to do list!
It is an out-of-the-way place. Considering the problems of late, take proper precautions. Sign the registry at the school...note my signing. ╦╦C

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is an out-of-the-way place. Considering the problems of late, take proper precautions. Sign the registry at the school...note my signing. ╦╦C
The four corners monument must be a sight to see

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread