VMI CADET Button Found - R.W. Robinson on back - Civil War??

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, White's Eagle
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
IMG_20220331_145333~2.jpg
IMG_20220331_145353~2.jpg

About 7" down by a huge old oak tree in the parking lot of a Mennonite Church that has been there (several different buildings over the years) since early 1825.
Interesting that this button was there as Mennonites are pacifists....???

Upvote 14

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
View attachment 2018526 View attachment 2018527
About 7" down by a huge old oak tree in the parking lot of a Mennonite Church that has been there (several different buildings over the years) since early 1825.
Interesting that this button was there as Mennonites are pacifists....???
Might have been a visitor or a passerby who stopped for a bit,maybe to stand in the shade.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Might have been a visitor or a passerby who stopped for a bit,maybe to stand in the shade.
Yes, I thought so as well - may have been a cadet fleeing the battle of Waynesboro about 6 miles away. The Confederates were routed there...

Thanks!!

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think your backmark will read “R & W Robinson” rather than “R. W. Robinson”. My understanding is that, although often said to be “Civil war era”, buttons with this backmark predate the war by at least 13 years. There were various iterations of the Robinson company of Attleborough, Massachusetts with different names, but the company name expressed as “R & W Robinson” was the backmark in use between 1834-c1848. After that, the company was bought by D. Evans and the backmark changed accordingly. The VMI was founded in 1839, so that narrows it down a bit more. It’s possible (although unconfirmed) that old Robinson dies continued to be used by Evans for a while after 1848.

So. that dates the period in which the button was made, but when it was issued and worn may be a different matter. It's nevertheless a cool button with high collector desirability. Great find.

OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I don't have my books at work, but generally the VMI buttons from that era are rare.
Nice to hear - and glad I found it.

If the book(s) have a value, would be nice to know; though I seldom sell any of my finds :)

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to Tnet & firstly congrats on a rare buttons find. Looks good.
It might be because your new, but I find it a little odd that you haven't thanked Red-Coat or even liked his post detailing the facts of your find after you had asked the question in the title? Oversight?

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think your backmark will read “R & W Robinson” rather than “R. W. Robinson”. My understanding is that, although often said to be “Civil war era”, buttons with this backmark predate the war by at least 13 years. There were various iterations of the Robinson company of Attleborough, Massachusetts with different names, but the company name expressed as “R & W Robinson” was the backmark in use between 1834-c1848. After that, the company was bought by D. Evans and the backmark changed accordingly. The VMI was founded in 1839, so that narrows it down a bit more. It’s possible (although unconfirmed) that old Robinson dies continued to be used by Evans for a while after 1848.

So. that dates the period in which the button was made, but when it was issued and worn may be a different matter. It's nevertheless a cool button with high collector desirability. Great find.
Many thanks for all the info - fascinating that so much is known about items like this and I appreciate your taking the time to share your expertise and data on this. Will make up a data card to keep with it!!! I hope to over time find more historical buttons!! Was exciting to find!!

OP
OP
T

thekise

Mar 29, 2022
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet & firstly congrats on a rare buttons find. Looks good.
It might be because your new, but I find it a little odd that you haven't thanked Red-Coat or even liked his post detailing that facts of your find after you had asked the question in the title? Oversight?
Thanks for your concern.
Yes, I overlooked his post somehow - rectified it just now - and his info was just what I had hoped for!!
I am already amazed at the support here on TreasureNet!!

Thanks again!!

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread