Wagon parts?

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all. I have been looking around this area in Eastern Oklahoma for arrowheads for a while now. Things I have found in this smallish area ( 100 yards x 30 yards) has my wee mind wondering. Some of the things I have found in the area are very old looking glass (mostly melted or bottle necks or bases), evidence of fires in the area due to melted glass, arrowheads, lots of bits of iron (round rings size of a golf ball up to the size of a baseball), what looked like a hinge off an old turtleback trunk, end of a old cast iron skillet, piece of china base that my mom looked up the company and said it appeared from the early 1800s, lots of round ball shots of lead, few bigger shots of lead (one looked like a 3 ringer bullet but front was smashed in from impact), small buckles that look like saddle tack, pieces of an old cast iron stove, 1 indian head penny, etc...

Not sure what this area may have been, rest stop back when, trading post of sorts, homestead. Imagine my mind wondering when I see settlers stuff mixed with burnt items and arrowheads though =)
Any ID on these things would be great, thank you =)

This is the indian head cent found, also some metal thing, it appears to be a solid piece of copper (thinking copper from the green patina) it is also very weighty for its size.

Some sort of hasp or buckle off something large, it is sitting on a 2x4 (3 and half inches wide for true measurement) to give you a sense of the size of it.

McClod

Jun 14, 2013
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett Pro Pointer and Whites TRX Pin Pointer.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow, burnt items and arrow heads sure does get the mind working! That hook or hitch like item sure looks old and interesting! Makes me want to find out if there is any kind of resourse online that would list all the types of tack and hardware used in the 1800's. Maybe a list of parts too, umm how far back do the Chilton's manuals go....but seriously would be a good resourse to have, could run across old pieces like that in places in Oregon maybe. If I come up with a resourse I'll post it back here. Nice finds! It sure would be interesting if the history of that area might mention anything about settlers being attacked, but it also may not have been an attack for that matter. I hope you can find out more!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Googled around for Hame Hook, didn't quite find many looking like that. But that helps though, horse tack and wagon related =)

Upvote 0

TheCannonballGuy

Gold Member
Feb 24, 2006
Occupied CSA (Richmond VA)
Detector(s) used
White's 6000, Nautilus DMC-1, Minelab
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Ammietuar is correct... more-or-less. Although the brass object next to the penny technically is not a rivet (which is composed of two parts), it was indeed used to hold two pieces of thick leather together, often on horse-harness and packs. We civil war relic diggers find lots of those in cavalry encampments -- but, they were also used on civilian leather stuff, not just military.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
T

twiasp

Dec 13, 2012
Detector(s) used
White's MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well just across the lake, which was a river valley until late 1950s there was a popular Battle of Honey Springs site, and I have seen maps of eastern OK that show many campsites and scirmishes. Think I may have fun sometime soon at this spot with a Metal Detector, may get a friend or 2 to come down with me when it warms up.

Upvote 0

Indian Steve

Silver Member
Oct 23, 2011
Stuart VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is completely normal to find old home site and arrowheads in the same site. The native people found it to be a good place to live and the people that came after them thought the same thing. A really good spot will have centuries of native camps and a home site all mixed together.

Upvote 0

taz42o

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2008
Ohio
Heres a pic of your hames hook...

hames hook.JPG

Upvote 0

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread