Wagon Wheel?

Agentmarysutton

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2021
Just got a new Garret AT Max for Christmas. Never used a detector before. We bought 15 acres near the MS River and I thought I would poke around on my land today. Found this. Is it a part to a wagon wheel? I thought maybe it was going to be silver since my VDI registered 84. Obviously I'm still learning as I have only had it a few days.

Attachments

• 20211229_103927.jpg
    20211229_103927.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 222
  • Screenshot_20211229-115110_Messenger.jpg
    Screenshot_20211229-115110_Messenger.jpg
    306 KB · Views: 115
Upvote 11

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If something that large was silver the VDI would be 99. However, keep in mind that the VDI is for coin sized objects in general and large items will give a false VDI.
Can't help with the ID of the hoop, but if I were you, first I'd set some coins down on the ground and see what a coin hits like. You can test with all kinds of stuff, but once you get an idea of what a coin hits like, then the fun starts. I'd start with old foundations, or the walk way back to the old privy, or ANY area that is known to be an area where people hung out or went to. Try under the old clothing lines and around the base of the old trees and in the shady areas where one might take a break.
Have fun, dig it all for a while just to see what it is and learn the machine and good luck!

Tencents

Jan 12, 2019
Northeast Missouri
Detector(s) used
Garrett 1500, Garrett Apex
Minelab 900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just got a new Garret AT Max for Christmas. Never used a detector before. We bought 15 acres near the MS River and I thought I would poke around on my land today. Found this. Is it a part to a wagon wheel? I thought maybe it was going to be silver since my VDI registered 84. Obviously I'm still learning as I have only had it a few days.
It looks to be what they called a flat steel tire. They had rubber ones too. If it repeats dig it, the only way you'll know for sure.

OP
OP
Agentmarysutton

Agentmarysutton

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2021
If something that large was silver the VDI would be 99. However, keep in mind that the VDI is for coin sized objects in general and large items will give a false VDI.
Can't help with the ID of the hoop, but if I were you, first I'd set some coins down on the ground and see what a coin hits like. You can test with all kinds of stuff, but once you get an idea of what a coin hits like, then the fun starts. I'd start with old foundations, or the walk way back to the old privy, or ANY area that is known to be an area where people hung out or went to. Try under the old clothing lines and around the base of the old trees and in the shady areas where one might take a break.
Have fun, dig it all for a while just to see what it is and learn the machine and good luck!
Thank you! I know I have a lot to learn. This object was near the creek that runs the back of my property. I did find a 99 while scanning the creek but kept walking because I didn't know any better. I own the creek so I can go back and hopefully see what that was.

OP
OP
Agentmarysutton

Agentmarysutton

Tenderfoot
Dec 29, 2021
It looks to be what they called a flat steel tire. They had rubber ones too. If it repeats dig it, the only way you'll know for sure.
Glad I dug it. Cool to find something regardless at this point. Definitely lit a little fire in me to go look again. It was a steady number. I found two cans as well and it kept jumping in numbers

xr7ator

Gold Member
Sep 2, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Gold, ATX, MH7 (oldie!) Minelab Explorer SE Pro, EQ800
If it was a nice high tone, short and crisp, it is a silver dollar! lol

Sounds like you have the right attitude, as we all know that more trash is dropped than treasure. GO GET 'EM!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!!! Congrats!!!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to TreasureNet, and this (addictive) hobby of metal detecting....!
Finding answers to questions about stuff you dig up, is a big part of it - research!
And, this forum is a good place to start!
Looking forward to seeing more of your finds...!
Good Luck and Happy Hunting...!

Hunk-a-lead

Bronze Member
Dec 20, 2020
Kansas City
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Predator Phoenix Shovel
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
congrats and welcome aboard, bet you find some cool stuff on your new land!

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First thing to learn is ignore the numbers & pay attention to the sound.
I never believe the detector, however ever much it cost. Get used to the sounds & ignore iron if you want, but in most cases your best clearing everything you can stomach. In the long run, this will get you the gold.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread