Wagonloads of Lost Dimes and Quarters

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
1907-D Dimes ......In spite of a mintage in excess of 4 million pieces, this issue is very difficult to locate in AU and Mint State grades. According to one account, a wagonload of 1907 dimes (and quarters) leaving the Denver Mint were lost along the North Rim Black Canyon, Colorado, near Gunnison, and never recovered.

North Rim Road
The North Rim is reached by taking a gravel road from the east end of Crawford State Park. The North Rim Road provides access to 6 overlooks. The canyon walls on the North Rim are almost vertical, offering some of the most impressive views found in the national park.

For a long time, no one knew what happened to a wagon train that left the Denver mint headed to Phoenix, Arizona. It was loaded with between four and six kegs of new dimes and was placed on four different wagons. The wagons along with the drivers and everyone else disappeared somewhere between a Crawford ranch and Montrose.

Quite a few years later, some treasure seekers were out along the trail and found the remains of four wagons at the rim of a canyon. The side wash of the trail fell off into the river ravine below. They did find several gallons of dimes along the Gunnison River close to the north rim of Black Canyon, however, that was just a drop in the bucket of the dimes that were left behind. Today, there is still a treasure of dimes to find, if someone is daring enough to hunt. http://www.coloradovacation.com/history/treasuremtn.html

Attachments

• east_portal_road.jpg
    east_portal_road.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 5,767
  • south_rim_drive_1.jpg
    south_rim_drive_1.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 6,396

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ21, Teknetics T2 & Minelab Sovereign GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
1907-D Dimes ......In spite of a mintage in excess of 4 million pieces, this issue is very difficult to locate in AU and Mint State grades. According to one account, a wagonload of 1907 dimes (and quarters) leaving the Denver Mint were lost along the North Rim Black Canyon, Colorado, near Gunnison, and never recovered.

North Rim Road
The North Rim is reached by taking a gravel road from the east end of Crawford State Park. The North Rim Road provides access to 6 overlooks. The canyon walls on the North Rim are almost vertical, offering some of the most impressive views found in the national park.

For a long time, no one knew what happened to a wagon train that left the Denver mint headed to Phoenix, Arizona. It was loaded with between four and six kegs of new dimes and was placed on four different wagons. The wagons along with the drivers and everyone else disappeared somewhere between a Crawford ranch and Montrose.

Quite a few years later, some treasure seekers were out along the trail and found the remains of four wagons at the rim of a canyon. The side wash of the trail fell off into the river ravine below. They did find several gallons of dimes along the Gunnison River close to the north rim of Black Canyon, however, that was just a drop in the bucket of the dimes that were left behind. Today, there is still a treasure of dimes to find, if someone is daring enough to hunt.

This is worth some research and maybe a trip to Colorado sometime!! Can you just imagine the fun of digging up thousands of 1907 D dimes!!!

H

HillbillyTH

gypsyheart said:

North Rim Road

Quite a few years later, some treasure seekers were out along the trail and found the remains of four wagons at the rim of a canyon. The side wash of the trail fell off into the river ravine below. They did find several gallons of dimes along the Gunnison River close to the north rim of Black Canyon, however, that was just a drop in the bucket of the dimes that were left behind. Today, there is still a treasure of dimes to find, if someone is daring enough to hunt.
Gypsy, You come up with some really good stuff. Thanks for sharing.
Dan

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I am thinking of taking a pack train along the bottom of the canyon....any horse/mule riders and rock climbers here?

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
gypsyheart said:
I am thinking of taking a pack train along the bottom of the canyon....any horse/mule riders and rock climbers here?

If we can research close to the right spot, pick a date and time and I might just hop a plane for a quick treasure hunting search! Not a horse or mule person, but I've been known to scramble over rocks for hours on end :-)

I still think it would be a blast to spend hours digging up dime after dime!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
I don't want to rain on a parade ...

Go to the Park service and get a treasure hunting permit,

This one is a National Park now.
FYI the Gunison runs North from Montrose to the point where it meets up with the Colorado River in Grand Junction. The odds are pretty good that these Dimes were carried way deep into the Park... er... Canyon.
Not telling you not to do it , just stay legal or don't get caught.

Happy Hunting
OD

djui5

Bronze Member
May 22, 2006
Mesa, AZ
Detector(s) used
None
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Whoa! I know that area, spent many years in Montrose. Sounds like a fun treasure to hunt for :o

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hey Randy,

How goes it ?

This became a National Park due to the efforts of one Scott McGinus.
Happened just before he announced he wouldn't run for Congress again.
2002 I believe

Thom

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In the 50's a friend and I were just bumming around after returning from the Mexican expedition. Somehow we ended up on the northside where we saw a small weathered wooden sign that said "black canyon" this-a -way.

We decided "why" not and went merrily on our way to see what we thought was a small dark colored canyon.

We were going about 45 - 50 on the then dirt road, when we saw it turn left, East, at the edge.

We swung around in a flurry of dust and gravel parallel to the edge. Because of the dust We couldn't see anything at first. I opened the passenger door and started to step out expecting to see a pretty little dark colored canyon, --- sheehs my right foot was in air! From the passenger seat I could look straight down for what seemed 1000's of feet. There was nothing between me and an unpleasant vertical ride down.

Hint, if you do go there and find a heart plus an extremely constricted part of the posterior anatomy, remember they are mine and please return them.

sigh

Don Jose de La Mancha - Till Eulenspiegel

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Somebody in the " General Discussion by Location Forum" for Colorado, states that this is supposably already found. And he knows somebody who supposably found some of these dimes. This would be a good place to start to see if this lead considers a serious follow-up or if it can be ruled out as found...Steve

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
stevesno said:
Somebody in the " General Discussion by Location Forum" for Colorado, states that this is supposably already found. And he knows somebody who supposably found some of these dimes. This would be a good place to start to see if this lead considers a serious follow-up or if it can be ruled out as found...Steve

That was Dani....But henever got back....I will pm him and see what he found out .....But.....there were kegs of quarters also

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Hey guys,
I am always available to go.
I don't mind being the guide if you ever want to do this.

This is my back yard
It would be a great pleasure.

Joe ,
I am down there often and may see the things you seem to have lost.
May have to bring them up in a special container, LOL
But I'll only return them in person old friend,
With all respect, that is a deep SOB!

Thom
Old Dog

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
CubFan64:
I have the complete story on this!
"It", or, part of it (the shipment)!
Has been found!
Then lost again!
A cowboy was riding the canyon's south rim when he found a broken wooden cask (THAT WAS HOW/in THE COINS WERE SHIPPED BY THE "MINT") and pile of blackened dimes!
This Spot!, would be a GOOD Starting point!
AND!
If there are coins on the top, there are probably coins scattered along the canyon side!
Just think! ::)
Someone might even find a entire cask of coins, wedged into some rocks? ;D
Think of the collector's value of these coins! :D

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil said:
CubFan64:
I have the complete story on this!
"It", or, part of it (the shipment)!
Has been found!
Then lost again!
A cowboy was riding the canyon's south rim when he found a broken wooden cask (THAT WAS HOW/in THE COINS WERE SHIPPED BY THE "MINT") and pile of blackened dimes!
This Spot!, would be a GOOD Starting point!
AND!
If there are coins on the top, there are probably coins scattered along the canyon side!
Just think! ::)

Someone might even find a entire cask of coins, wedged into some rocks? ;D
Think of the collector's value of these coins! :D

cptbil - if it "or part of it" was found, what do you mean it was lost again? Just that much of it may still be lying in various parts of the canyon?

Do you know when this person found that cask? Is the person a friend of yours and be willing to show where along the ledge it was found?

Someone posted in the "Colorado" section that this was already found by someone(s) - just trying to see if I can get enough information to possibly contact one of the finders and find out the real story.

Sorry for all the questions :)

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
If you all decide to do this make sure you stay out of the canyon between May 1st and the end of July.
That River comes halfway up the wall. it will eat you up and not leave a trace.

winter time is as bad because of ice on the walls...

This is meed to know info. just so you all don't waste the trip

OD

cptbil

Bronze Member
Mar 27, 2003
Az/NM/Ca/Nv/Tx
ClubFan64:
&
Old Dog:
When I said " It was "found"! , I was referring to the site where the cask of coins was found
When I said:
"It was lost again"! , I was referring to the place where the "cowboy" found the cask!
Old Dog:
I really have no plans to look for this "cask/site" !
1...If I were to do so, I would have my bother, who has a small ranch there in Colorado, check out the location first!
I would not try to start at the bottom of the canyon !
2...I would start at the top (side) of the canyon and look for debris from the wagon as it broke up, and for more casks or coins, of the wagon load, as it broke up going down the side!
3...I would also, "Recon" the area by plane, to see if I could spot anything from the air!
But!
As I mentioned, I have no plans to look for this site!
As I have more than I can handle in NM, Az, Ca, Nv, etc ! fully researched sites ready to be searched for,
I mean by that,
I would be looking for the exact treasure not the location, as that ( the general location) is already determined,

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Old Dog said:
If you all decide to do this make sure you stay out of the canyon between May 1st and the end of July.
That River comes halfway up the wall. it will eat you up and not leave a trace.

winter time is as bad because of ice on the walls...

This is meed to know info. just so you all don't waste the trip

OD
Old Dog, If this search gets off the ground I am sure that the party would want to have you included. Your knowledge would be a valuable asset.

Cubfan64

Silver Member
Feb 13, 2006
New Hampshire - USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cptbil said:
ClubFan64:
&
Old Dog:
When I said " It was "found"! , I was referring to the site where the cask of coins was found
When I said:
"It was lost again"! , I was referring to the place where the "cowboy" found the cask!
Old Dog:
I really have no plans to look for this "cask/site" !
1...If I were to do so, I would have my bother, who has a small ranch there in Colorado, check out the location first!
I would not try to start at the bottom of the canyon !
2...I would start at the top (side) of the canyon and look for debris from the wagon as it broke up, and for more casks or coins, of the wagon load, as it broke up going down the side!
3...I would also, "Recon" the area by plane, to see if I could spot anything from the air!
But!
As I mentioned, I have no plans to look for this site!
As I have more than I can handle in NM, Az, Ca, Nv, etc ! fully researched sites ready to be searched for,
I mean by that,
I would be looking for the exact treasure not the location, as that ( the general location) is already determined,

Thanks for the clarification cptbil. Good luck with your hunts and finds!

Old Dog

Gold Member
May 22, 2007
Western Colorado
Thanks Cptbil, and Stevesno.

I would enjoy the change of pace. It is wonderful country. I'm sure you guy will like it too.
Feel free to email anytime you want .

OD

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread