Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a late start this afternoon in getting back to the watershed but had one of my best hunts there today. I did go back to the cart path but soon left that to check open land. Two twenty-something targets about 20 feet apart turned out to be a 1919 wheat an then a 1901 IHC, consistent with known years of habitation. IMG_8216.JPG IMG_8211.JPG IMG_8212.JPG IMG_8214.JPG

After that, the next hour brought lots of shotgun bases and centerfire brass. I looked at my phone at 4:44 and knew it was time to be heading out, so I made a
'beeline' for the hillside, swinging as I went. Nothing, until I crossed a footpath and went a little ways up the hillside only to come upon a high-pitched 31-34 on the Equinox and I thought, 'sounds like a large cent'. Well, the first coin I uncovered, pretty much right on the surface, was an 1843 seated quarter. I checked the immediate area with the pinpointer and uncovered an 1837 LC just a quarter-inch deep. These have been just laying there, undisturbed, for maybe the last 170 years, until I came along today with the Equinox. Perhaps you have a story of a similar surface find?

P.S. The quarter and large cent are the oldest 'coin spill' I've ever dug. This seated Liberty quarter is the third I've dug....first in Baltimore, second in Shrewsbury, PA and now this one from Baltimore County.

Upvote 66

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wowww McD! That Seated is absolutely beautiful! The LC is no slouch either, wow... a quarter inch down, and yes waiting one and three quarter centuries for you to come by and save them. Excellent hunt! That’s the way to swing out my friend, congrats...Ddf.

washingtonian

Gold Member
Sep 26, 2005
Puget Sound
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Whites DFX
That is amazing!! What a beautiful seated quarter. Just under the surface too. Wow. That’s too cool. Congrats!!

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks ddf. Recorded the amazing find on my phone. Everything else at this site I've dug and recovered from 3 to 9 inches down. Maybe since these were dropped on a hiilside that makes a difference?

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks washingtonian. I have a friend who found a capped bust dime in a wooded park in Baltimore and found that on the surface, so it does happen, even though it is an uncommon occurrence.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Wow...what a score. I don't have any great surface coin finds, though I did find an older gold/diamond ring at a beach that the receding tide left uncovered. I have found coins and relics on the desperate swing back to the car, but nothing as great as those coins. Congrats!

dirtdigginfool

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
south central ohio
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
At Pro At Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks ddf. Recorded the amazing find on my phone. Everything else at this site I've dug and recovered from 3 to 9 inches down. Maybe since these were dropped on a hiilside that makes a difference?

We could guess and surmise until the cows came home as to why these great finds were so shallow... definitely not recent drops lol...the importance is that you found them...again, congrats McD those are awesome saves... Ddf.

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome!!! Congrats!!! Bucket Lister Quarter!!!

NZ49er

Apr 3, 2018
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That is an early seated coin and beautiful!

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW! Great looking seated 25C!!!!!!!!!! :occasion14:

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
BTW we still OCCASIONALLY find something on top of the ground in Shrewsbury, since he plows once a year and discs two or three times. Last time in the spring it was a minie ball by relichound.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
That was a great day in Shrewsbury, smokey. Thanks much for the invite!

creskol

Gold Member
Jan 14, 2007
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Other
W:tongue3:W ... What beautiful finds! The quarter is a stunner, and I love the patina on the large cent!

Jose The Goon

Apr 1, 2017
East Coast
Detector(s) used
Whites 6000D, 6000Di, Eagle, & PI 1000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ditto what "creskol" said. Congrats on a great hunt & finds!! Keep 'em coming !! CHEERS ! J.T.G.

Joe-Dirt

Silver Member
Jan 18, 2018
Central Massachusetts
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab equinox 800, Manticore & XP Deus II , 2 Garrett carrots, Minelab find 35 pin pointer, NX6 shovel , 31” Lesche shovel, whites digmaster, Lesche hand trowel, 3-5 gallon buckets full of crappola
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, seated quarter is the top of my list for this year!!my oldest spill was a ‘64 IHP, ‘67 shield nickel and a ‘74 seated dime. I didn’t find the dime until 2 days later, really weird because I checked the hole and area after I found the cent and nickel. The whole group was only 3” down and right next to a trail. Great job man!!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I am still detecting at 170.

I have tried embalming myself with Rum... but I am not sure its working.

:P

HIGHSTRUNG

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2019
Camden SC
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS 9" HF Coil, Garret Pro-Pointer, MI-6 pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Very nice! Congrats!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread