Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Got a late start this afternoon in getting back to the watershed but had one of my best hunts there today. I did go back to the cart path but soon left that to check open land. Two twenty-something targets about 20 feet apart turned out to be a 1919 wheat an then a 1901 IHC, consistent with known years of habitation. IMG_8216.JPG IMG_8211.JPG IMG_8212.JPG IMG_8214.JPG

After that, the next hour brought lots of shotgun bases and centerfire brass. I looked at my phone at 4:44 and knew it was time to be heading out, so I made a
'beeline' for the hillside, swinging as I went. Nothing, until I crossed a footpath and went a little ways up the hillside only to come upon a high-pitched 31-34 on the Equinox and I thought, 'sounds like a large cent'. Well, the first coin I uncovered, pretty much right on the surface, was an 1843 seated quarter. I checked the immediate area with the pinpointer and uncovered an 1837 LC just a quarter-inch deep. These have been just laying there, undisturbed, for maybe the last 170 years, until I came along today with the Equinox. Perhaps you have a story of a similar surface find?

P.S. The quarter and large cent are the oldest 'coin spill' I've ever dug. This seated Liberty quarter is the third I've dug....first in Baltimore, second in Shrewsbury, PA and now this one from Baltimore County.

Upvote 66

Goldiver

Bronze Member
Sep 15, 2006
Fremont, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Fisher F-75 LTD2, CZ-70, CZ-21, 1280x, Vibraprobe 560, Minelab Pro-Find 35
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That seated quarter is beautiful, one of my favorite designs! I have had some similar experiences, the one that stands out the most is an 1833 Bust half I dug at the very edge of a paved parking lot where the grass just starts. I got a super loud signal that I figured was a recent dropped quarter so I casually thrust my Lesche into the sod and out popped that 1833 half from about a half inch down. Surprised the heck out of me, and on the plus side I somehow didn't scratch it. Strangely enough at the same site I found a Barber quarter laying directly on the top of the ground. You just never know.

Steve

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Loch Raven is where the site is located. Check out the 1877 Hopkins map for possible sites.

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Those are some amazing surface and near surface finds!

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
One of my best finds was an IHc that I think may be UNC that I found on top of the ground in front of the John Day library.

HuntH2002

Bronze Member
May 27, 2018
San Antonio, TX
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
2015 Bounty Hunter Discovery 1100 // 2015 Bounty Hunter Ultra Mag Sharpshooter // 2019 Garrett Pro-Pointer AT
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Wow 1843, Incredible condition seated quarter! Congrats! :o:occasion14:

toasted

Silver Member
Jun 1, 2015
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600 XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice. Dont see early seated quarters often

Silvermonkey

Silver Member
Apr 24, 2013
Eastern Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Incredible! What a great find. I have yet to find a seated quarter after several years of hunting. Good for you!!!!

xcopperstax

Silver Member
Sep 3, 2018
Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Max
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice hunt!!! I need to find one of those seated quarters! I know they are out there! Very cool to find it right with a large cent! They were meant for you to find!!!

A2coins

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2015
Ann Arbor
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome read that's a great coin to add to your collection amazing job. Keep em coming. Tommy

Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Killer old coin shooting, BIG congrats! :icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
McCDig

McCDig

Silver Member
Jan 31, 2015
Baltimore, Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Finally got the video for this hunt uploaded to YouTube; here it is, Enjoy!

Coinstar magnet

Silver Member
Apr 5, 2020
Beverly Massachusetts
Detector(s) used
Tesoro compadre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beautiful finds...amazing...it reminds me of the sword found in Iceland just lying under the surface for a 1,000 years or so....

E-Trac-Ohio

Gold Member
Feb 9, 2020
Eastern Ohio
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Minelab E-Trac
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the great finds !

Every now and then I find an old coin that's very shallow or on the surface.
I was hunting in undisturbed area of woods around an old one room school house a few weeks ago and when I moved the leaves aside to dig ... a 1939 Merc was just sitting there on the surface.
All of the other coins I dug at this site were 3" to 6" deep.

Good Hunting !

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread