🏆 HONORABLE MENTION Walls Can Talk: A Hero's Dog Tags Returned

Dave.

May 25, 2022
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
I bought my house from my in-laws 30+ years ago. They owned it 20+ before that. Before them, somebody cut out a block at the top of the basement foundation wall to run mechanicals to an addition on the house. A couple weeks ago, I was vacuuming up the very old construction debris that was crammed in the hole. Mixed in with the debris was a set of dog tags. I thought for sure they would be my father-in-law's. He served in the Navy during Korea. But instead, they belonged to "Gerald Bulin".

Unfortunately, the excitement of the find turned to sadness when I googled his name and found him on The Wall Of Faces. I was able to find his brother out of state and talk to him on the phone. Their family had lived in my house for 14 years before my in-laws owned it.

Jerry Bulin volunteered for service right out of high school in 1957. He came home after that service. Some years later he volunteered again, and was attached to Green Berets, Macv sog, 5th Special Forces Group, FOB 2 RT New Mexico. He wanted to be a helicopter pilot. School was not starting right away, so he volunteered for a tour in Viet Nam. His brother said he made it less than 6 months there.

I was able to return Jerry's dog tags to his brother.

Thank you Jerry, my father-in-law, and all that served and sacrificed for our county.
Jerry Bulin.jpg
Dog Tag.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

crashbandicoot

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2020
Dumas,AR
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice return. I'm sure they appreciate it.
I hope they do,a lot of times these things get kept for one generation and then get thrown away by later heirs who have no idea what it represents.Teach your kids about this and impress on them how important it is to not forget. Way to go on the return,kudos to you!

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought my house from my in-laws 30+ years ago. They owned it 20+ before that. Before them, somebody cut out a block at the top of the basement foundation wall to run mechanicals to an addition on the house. A couple weeks ago, I was vacuuming up the very old construction debris that was crammed in the hole. Mixed in with the debris was a set of dog tags. I thought for sure they would be my father-in-law's. He served in the Navy during Korea. But instead, they belonged to "Gerald Bulin".

Unfortunately, the excitement of the find turned to sadness when I googled his name and found him on The Wall Of Faces. I was able to find his brother out of state and talk to him on the phone. Their family had lived in my house for 14 years before my in-laws owned it.

Jerry Bulin volunteered for service right out of high school in 1957. He came home after that service. Some years later he volunteered again. He wanted to be a helicopter pilot. School was not starting right away, so he volunteered for a tour in Viet Nam. His brother said he made it less than 6 months there.

I was able to return Jerry's dog tags to his brother.

Thank you Jerry, my father-in-law, and all that served and sacrificed for our county. View attachment 2029070 View attachment 2029071
Very Nice!!! Good Job!!! Congrats!!!

CRUSADER

Gold Member
May 25, 2007
ENGLAND
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II v0.6 with 11" Coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope they do,a lot of times these things get kept for one generation and then get thrown away by later heirs who have no idea what it represents.Teach your kids about this and impress on them how important it is to not forget. Way to go on the return,kudos to you!
Agreed.

And nice return by the OP.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice job Dave !!! I am very proud of you. When you return something like that it gives you a FANTASTIC GREAT feeling doesn't it ?
Also let me WELCOME you to Treasurenet Nice post nice STORY Thanks for joining and sharing

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the recovery and the return of the service tags.
Welcome to TreasureNet
Thanks for sharing it with us all.

Sandog

Bronze Member
Nov 27, 2017
Treasure coast
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That was certainly an honorable act of kindness on your part. A wonderful story to mark your joining the forum. God bless you.

JeffInMass

Silver Member
Jan 14, 2006
Cape Cod
Detector(s) used
Minelab Manticore, Minelab Equinox 600, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Explorer XS, Fisher CZ6A
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Strong work and Congrats for a job very well done!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread