Walt Gasslers Notes on Dutchman Legend

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting a new thread for discussion........

Under the Holmes Manuscript thread G. Davis indicates Walt Gassler's Notes on the Dutchman Legend were reprinted by permission of "the author".

Mr. Davis, will you be kind enough to elaborate under this separate thread?

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Starting a new thread for discussion........

Under the Holmes Manuscript thread G. Davis indicates Walt Gassler's Notes on the Dutchman Legend were reprinted by permission of "the author".

Mr. Davis, will you be kind enough to elaborate under this separate thread?

Old,

I cannot speak for Greg Davis and I am not. What I am posting is personal knowledge of Walter's manuscript and his final days, the time period 1983 - May 1984. Something you need to understand about Walter Gassler's manuscript. Walter hand wrote the manuscript and gave it to Robert Lee at San Diego, CA. Lee was an author and film producer with his own production company in San Diego and Los Angeles. Walter wanted Lee to rewrite the manuscript into an acceptable Lost Dutchman book or production video. Walter and Robert Lee corresponded back and forth through letters and phone calls and were working on an arrangement when Walter went into the Superstitions in May of 1984 and tragically died.

Lee was left with Walter's manuscript and rewrote parts of it but never finished or finalized the work. With Walter gone the production video was out of the question. There was a final chapter Walter was working on, something he had started back in the mountains and his last trip into the Superstitions would have given the manuscript the ending it needed.

A few years after Walter died, Robert Lee himself died and his son Randy took over his fathers production company. Sometime about 1995 Randy Lee turned over all his father's things including Walters manuscript to Greg Davis at the Superstition Mountain Historical Society with permission to do with it whatever the museum wished. His only stipulation being all his father's material be preserved. Anyone can access the Robert Lee collection at any time, an appointment may be necessary.

Few people have ever read Walter's hand written manuscript. It contains things not included in the typed copy but those things are incidental and no great secrets were withheld. The manuscript has been typed on at least two occasions that I know of.

This is my understanding based on having been with Walter in those last months and knowing what he was trying to accomplish and who he was working with.

Matthew

nobodie

Jul 17, 2015
Phx. A.Z.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I posted this on the thread that was deleted. Gasslers book.
THE LOST PERALTA - DUTCHMAN MINE
BY
WALTER GASSLER
Rare Book Reprint
Superstition Mountain Historical society
1990 Copy of Original
Superstition Mountain Historical Society

It is Xerox copy with staples down the side, I paid 5 dollars at the museum in the early 90's.

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandma K, On the deleted thread it was established that Mr. Gassler was indeed whom he said he was by more than a few people that had met or talked with him. He's no longer a member so I don't know if he was ousted with the thread for the things he said about his situation or not. Sometimes being honest on here, if it goes against the established theories, might get you tossed like a salad along with the thread. We have no explanation why he's gone we can only speculate.

On a now deleted thread, a man claimed to be Walt Gassler's son Roland...can we now surmise that it wasn't really him and what he said on that thread was not truthful? Did he meet with the people he said he was going to be meeting with or was he an imposter? Just "piqued my curiosity" about the whole Walt Gassler situation I first heard about on "unsolved Mysteries" many years ago.
Thank-you to all who have tried to preserve the history of all the mysteries surrounding "The Lost Dutchman". There are so many fascinating stories..."Walt Gassler" is one of many.

RWGassler

Sep 26, 2015
Gilbert, AZ
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandma K

Just for clarification, I did not meet with Matthew Roberts or Mike since I never received a confirmation from them regarding the proposed lunch date.
On your assumption that I am not who I say I am, there is not much I can do about that since it appears from the now deleted posts that it was more advantageous for people to believe their version of facts than consider and research other information. My view of the reaction to those posts was an attempt to discredit anyone who does not think the way they do. I have no desire or need to convenience anyone who I am. I know what took place and from the conversations I had with my father and notes he accumulated in his research understand what he believed about the Lost Dutchman and that's what is important not what someone else thinks they know.

Grandma Kochera

Greenie
Mar 12, 2015
Primary Interest:
Other
Mr. Gassler

Sometimes people come on here and make claims of things then disappear. I thought that might be the case this time since that thread vanished. I really hadn't assumed one way or the other who you are. I thought it was terrible the way you were treated on that other post and said so on it. I was hoping you had met with the people who said you were meeting with so everyone would understand you were who you are and see the validity of your story. I also learned along time ago, that if you are related to a person with ties to the Lost Dutchman, you either keep that fact hidden or be prepared to have people discredit the facts that you know are true but don't fit into their theory because they heard something from someone who heard it from someone and that person is a friend who knows...lol Been there done that....

Grandma K

cactusjumper

Gold Member
Dec 10, 2005
Arizona
Mr. Gassler

Sometimes people come on here and make claims of things then disappear. I thought that might be the case this time since that thread vanished. I really hadn't assumed one way or the other who you are. I thought it was terrible the way you were treated on that other post and said so on it. I was hoping you had met with the people who said you were meeting with so everyone would understand you were who you are and see the validity of your story. I also learned along time ago, that if you are related to a person with ties to the Lost Dutchman, you either keep that fact hidden or be prepared to have people discredit the facts that you know are true but don't fit into their theory because they heard something from someone who heard it from someone and that person is a friend who knows...lol Been there done that....

Grandma K

GK,

Mr. Gassler was treated with respect on this forum. If that were not so, the moderators would have stepped in. I don't recall anything more being said that you have not just posted. The question now, is why didn't anyone take him up on his offer to meet? Now that might be classified as "terrible".

Joe Ribaudo

Matthew Roberts

Bronze Member
Apr 27, 2013
Paradise Valley, Arizona
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RW Gassler is who he says he is. Roland cancelled on the meeting because of a misunderstanding about confirmation of the established date and time.

I was at the meeting place on the date and time set up as was Mike McChesney. Mike and I waited and after it became apparent Roland had cancelled Mike and I had lunch, talked and I was able to show Mike some of Walters things that were not confidential.

I have talked with Roland since that day and we plan to get together at a later date when I am back in Arizona. I believe Mike mentioned he has also since had contact with Roland.

The Roland Gassler Remembered thread was taken down because it became a personal playground for certain members to play their usual games and engage in fights and misinformation.

It ended when one particular member told the Forum that another man, who he named in the post,had committed a serious felony. That was an outright lie, the man named had committed no felony and the moderators shut the thread down.

Matthew

Azquester

Bronze Member
Dec 15, 2006
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Grandma K,

I think the people living in Arizona and actually looking for the Dutchman full or part time have more vested interest in the True Legends of the Superstitions and this great state! Pay the taxes here if you want to play!

Those that pop in from other states occasionally and do a "Quickie Hike" with photos or video and a "Research Grab" of other peoples hard work only have a small distant role in the eyes of us true Arizona Thunters. Anyone that was serious about looking for any lost mines or legends in this state live here and walk the walk. Most can't hack it and leave for one reason or another and sell themselves as "Experts" since they spent a small fraction of their lives hiking once in a great while on the main trails where they can't get lost. Once they go back to their native stomping grounds they either fade away in obscurity like old BlindBowman or drink a bottle of their own snake oil. Fear is a big factor with people that can't make the jump cross country in the Sups and stamina is another as anyone that has done this can tell you it aint so easy. So out of state on vacation claim jumpers have no pony in this race and are merely relying on others research as they haven't any fresh info to lay down. So just make them a glass of tea and send them back home with some cookies and a few hand written dubiously acquired manuscripts of some lucky local mans hard work, but, hey, stand back, they could become;

"Out of state legends in their own minds".:laughing7:

Thank-you Bill for clarifying that for me. I wasn't sure if it had been established that he was who he said he was. I know it was posted that he was meeting with a few people on here but then the whole thread disappeared. I said that people should be ashamed of themselves for the way he had been treated on that thread especially if indeed he was Walter Gasslers son. Yes some people can't handle honesty when it doesn't fit their theory.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see new members arguing in their first and second post on this site. That is never a good sign nor does it point to longevity....

Oroblanco

Gold Member
Jan 21, 2005
DAKOTA TERRITORY
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo Supertraq, (95%) Garrett Scorpion (5%)
Grandma K,

I think the people living in Arizona and actually looking for the Dutchman full or part time have more vested interest in the True Legends of the Superstitions and this great state! Pay the taxes here if you want to play!

Those that pop in from other states occasionally and do a "Quickie Hike" with photos or video and a "Research Grab" of other peoples hard work only have a small distant role in the eyes of us true Arizona Thunters. Anyone that was serious about looking for any lost mines or legends in this state live here and walk the walk. Most can't hack it and leave for one reason or another and sell themselves as "Experts" since they spent a small fraction of their lives hiking once in a great while on the main trails where they can't get lost. Once they go back to their native stomping grounds they either fade away in obscurity like old BlindBowman or drink a bottle of their own snake oil. Fear is a big factor with people that can't make the jump cross country in the Sups and stamina is another as anyone that has done this can tell you it aint so easy. So out of state on vacation claim jumpers have no pony in this race and are merely relying on others research as they haven't any fresh info to lay down. So just make them a glass of tea and send them back home with some cookies and a few hand written dubiously acquired manuscripts of some lucky local mans hard work, but, hey, stand back, they could become;

"Out of state legends in their own minds".:laughing7:

I see your opinion. Then folks like Matthew Roberts and Mike McChesney don't know a thing about the lost mines of AZ, since they don't live there, but since you DO, then you are the expert? Can you tell me where this tunnel is located?
086.JPG

You have a very skewed idea of what other treasure hunters do and are about. Where does it say that you must be an EXPERT to discuss these topics anyway?

Greg Davis had stated that the author had given permission for his notes to be preserved/published by the museum - can anyone confirm or disprove this?

Oroblanco

:coffee2: :coffee2:

OP
OP
Old

Old

Feb 25, 2015
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.... "Greg Davis had stated that the author had given permission for his notes to be preserved/published by the museum - can anyone confirm or disprove this?"

I was trying to be respectful and let the discussion unfold. I'm having difficulty with the terms here. Until that's cleared up, its difficult to form an opinion.

How is the word "author" defined in this discussion? When the discussion references original manuscript I'm assuming its limited to what Mr. Gassler wrote. That may not be Mr. Davis' definition. I draw a distention between what Mr. Gassler wrote and what Mr. Lee wrote acting as Mr. Gassler's agent. A lot of the unknowns depend on what contractual agreements were reached (and survived) between the original Mr. Gassler and the original Mr. Lee.

Did Mr. Lee have a release from Mr. Gassler? Is it Walt Gassler, the elder Mr. Lee, or the younger Mr. Lee that gave permission for release and reprinting? All questions inquiring minds need to know to form an educated opinion. At this point (to me) there is more unanswered questions than answered ones.

azdave35

Silver Member
Dec 19, 2008
.... "Greg Davis had stated that the author had given permission for his notes to be preserved/published by the museum - can anyone confirm or disprove this?"

I was trying to be respectful and let the discussion unfold. I'm having difficulty with the terms here. Until that's cleared up, its difficult to form an opinion.

How is the word "author" defined in this discussion? When the discussion references original manuscript I'm assuming its limited to what Mr. Gassler wrote. That may not be Mr. Davis' definition. I draw a distention between what Mr. Gassler wrote and what Mr. Lee wrote acting as Mr. Gassler's agent. A lot of the unknowns depend on what contractual agreements were reached (and survived) between the original Mr. Gassler and the original Mr. Lee.

Did Mr. Lee have a release from Mr. Gassler? Is it Walt Gassler, the elder Mr. Lee, or the younger Mr. Lee that gave permission for release and reprinting? All questions inquiring minds need to know to form an educated opinion. At this point (to me) there is more unanswered questions than answered ones.

removed

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions