boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously it depends on the diameter of the rod and probably the alloy, too. I don’t like heavy rods, 3/16” is ridiculous.
Last time I made up some to sell, I made several pairs of different diameters & materials and let the gentleman pick the pair he felt he wanted. I,m a firm believer in what works for me might be all wrong for you. Haven't run across anyone even having a reaction to copper bracelets except for the green skin staining. What little bit you'd get from a pair of rods would not be a worry unless maybe you were carrying them in your mouth.

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last time I made up some to sell, I made several pairs of different diameters & materials and let the gentleman pick the pair he felt he wanted. I,m a firm believer in what works for me might be all wrong for you. Haven't run across anyone even having a reaction to copper bracelets except for the green skin staining. What little bit you'd get from a pair of rods would not be a worry unless maybe you were carrying them in your mouth.
Copper toxicity (or Copperiedus) is a type of metal poisoning, most commonly from a genetic condition. I read somewhere, maybe Bill Cox that a good number of people cannot use copper rods.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Copper toxicity (or Copperiedus) is a type of metal poisoning, most commonly from a genetic condition. I read somewhere, maybe Bill Cox that a good number of people cannot use copper rods.
Well there ya go! What works for you & me....... Copper toxicity hmm... Wonder how many out of a bazillion are affected? Probably why we haven't heard of dowsers worrying about their rods, they're more worried about inadvertantly drinking water from a copper pipe soldered with non lead free solder.

Whoa! Lookee lookee the sky's falling the sky's falling!

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250/GTA 1,000; Fisher Gold Bug-2; Gemini-3; Unique Design L-Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Obviously it depends on the diameter of the rod and probably the alloy, too. I don’t like heavy rods, 3/16” is ridiculous.
I don't like heavy rods either.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that coat hangers seem to work as well as copper. I learned with a fresh cut branch as a kid.
We buried a line across the side of a mountain to a well and lost power to it. Was a deep line and it wandered due to the rocks maybe 3-4 feet feep in some places.
My electrician took two coat hangers walked it for about 30 minutes and then dug up the broke line at the correct spot. The line was probably 350 feet long between pole and pump. He is good.

elh

Aug 10, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have found that coat hangers seem to work as well as copper. I learned with a fresh cut branch as a kid.
We buried a line across the side of a mountain to a well and lost power to it. Was a deep line and it wandered due to the rocks maybe 3-4 feet feep in some places.
My electrician took two coat hangers walked it for about 30 minutes and then dug up the broke line at the correct spot. The line was probably 350 feet long between pole and pump. He is good.
Very interesting post tnmountains. If you like playing around with them, walk up to a chain link fence and see how they open or close for you.
THAT comes in handy to find the old, gone, fence lines.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put one coat of flexible clear acrylic on my hanger rods. The acrylic is water based and not something you can just go out to buy. It is sold by art companies in a plastic bucket so concentrated you need to dilute with 5 parts of water. Rod here almost looks like brass but is a hanger (probably the old lacquer coated type). Wrapper copper around counter-balance end (bottom). No handles only loose in your grip.

Attachments

• WIN_20221220_18_17_08_Pro.jpg
    WIN_20221220_18_17_08_Pro.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 27
Last edited:

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I put one coat of flexible clear acrylic on my hanger rods. The acrylic is water based and not something you can just go out to buy. It is sold by art companies in a plastic bucket so concentrated you need to dilute with 5 parts of water.
Coat hangers have all sorts toxic junk in them. Good idea to coat them. Poisons have been known to leach though even metal. Seems like I recall people varnishing the rods.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Coat hangers have all sorts toxic junk in them. Good idea to coat them. Poisons have been known to leach though even metal. Seems like I recall people varnishing the rods.
Thanks, I was still editing my post.

Red_desert

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Midwest USA
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The flexible acrylic won't chip or flake off if bent. Got it from Blick Art cheaper by the 1-gallon bucket (professional gloss acrylic gel paste). Need a 5-gallon bucket to mix up. You can get a smaller pail, but I needed it for painting. Not good if dries on your skin.

Tnmountains

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jan 27, 2009
South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Conquistador freq shift
Fisher F75
Garrett AT-Pro
Garet carrot
Neodymium magnets
5' Probe
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it either works for you or it does not. Never been rocket science to me as I have always had the ability.
As a child I would take a forked cut from a dog wood walk over a water line and the dogwood would rise straight up in the air almost over me as I passed over it.
Could I find treasure? No idea as I trust my metal detectors more for that.
I do not care to debate that it works as I know it does. I also believe in science but might have to argue them on this one.
Can you dowse a map? That might be a stretch for even me to believe but to each their own
Happy New year.
TnMtns

signal_line

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2011
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well it either works for you or it does not. Never been rocket science to me as I have always had the ability.
As a child I would take a forked cut from a dog wood walk over a water line and the dogwood would rise straight up in the air almost over me as I passed over it.
Could I find treasure? No idea as I trust my metal detectors more for that.
I do not care to debate that it works as I know it does. I also believe in science but might have to argue them on this one.
Can you dowse a map? That might be a stretch for even me to believe but to each their own
Happy New year.
TnMtns
You can do a sweep with a forked stick/Y-rod. Slowly turn until the rod responds. Nothing wrong with a Y-rod, they work in high wind no problem.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread