Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I joined forces with SlateBeltDigger this morning and hit that new farm where I found the Draped Bust: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...produces-a-draped-bust-lc-and-buttons.663283/
No new coins, but some cool buttons were found (SlateBeltDigger feel free to add yours to the thread).
EDIT: I added a thimble that I'd forgotten about and a rosette probably from a saddle.

Before I go on, please offer advice: how should I preserve the buttons I've found? I only gently cleaned them enough to see what they are, but now I don't want them to degrade. I have Renaissance Wax and I'm tempted to use that, but I'll wait for input first.

Anyway, at the farm I found two more buttons that are really exciting to me, plus two other cool items:

1. a War of 1812 2nd Regiment Infantry Officer's button. This one I found on the amazing website https://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the image "pop" more while also preserving it I'd appreciate your guidance.

2. convex button with full shank. This one looks and feels old to me, but I'd love help on identifying it.
My questions:
  • Is it tombac? (I'm not so sure...).
  • Is it cast? (seems to have a line on the back like those that are cast).
  • And what about that shank? (That is what makes it feel old to me).
3. Thimble. Not much to say about this one, but it's always cool to find a thimble.

4. Saddle rosette (?). I didn't think this item was much until I cleaned it up. It has a design on it and I think it once had writing in the banner around it. Any suggestions on what this actually could be?

Finally, earlier that morning - before we detected at the farm - we hit a few other locations (because I didn't want to be that annoying guy that woke the farm owner up on maybe the one day when he sleeps in), and I found a weird token at one of them. It's the last picture and apparently it's a temperance token from around 1840, known as the "man drinking from a well" token.
If anyone cares the full text on the token is:
Obverse: "HOW SWEET FROM THE GREEN MOSSY BRIM TO RECEIVE IT / AS POISED ON THE CURB / IT INCLINED TO MY LIPS."
Reverse: "TEMPERANCE / LEADS TO / HEALTH WEALTH / HAPPINESS / AND LONG LIFE" All surrounded by "PLEDGED TO USE NO INTOXICATING DRINK AS A BEVERAGE".

Thanks for checking these out and for any advice you can offer!

- Brian

IMG_0444.jpg
IMG_0450.jpg
IMG_0452.jpg
IMG_0451.jpg
IMG_0447.jpg

IMG_0448.jpg

IMG_0454.jpg

IMG_0453.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_0448.jpg
    IMG_0448.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 33
Last edited:
Upvote 20
Nov 25, 2018
Detector(s) used
Equinox 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hi all. I joined forces with SlateBeltDigger this morning and hit that new farm where I found the Draped Bust: https://www.treasurenet.com/threads...produces-a-draped-bust-lc-and-buttons.663283/
No new coins, but some cool buttons were found (SlateBeltDigger feel free to add yours to the thread).

Before I go on, please offer advice: how should I preserve the buttons I've found? I only gently cleaned them enough to see what they are, but now I don't want them to degrade. I have Renaissance Wax and I'm tempted to use that, but I'll wait for input first.

Anyway, at the farm I found two more buttons that are really exciting to me:

1. a War of 1812 2nd Regiment Infantry Officer's button. This one I found on the amazing website https://www.georgewashingtoninauguralbuttons.com.
If anyone has any suggestions on how to make the image "pop" more while also preserving it I'd appreciate your guidance.

2. convex button with full shank. This one looks and feels old to me, but I'd love help on identifying it.
My questions:

Earlier that morning, before we detected at the farm, we hit a few other locations (because I didn't want to be that annoying guy that woke the farm owner up on maybe the one day when he sleeps in), and I found a weird token at one of them. It's the last picture and apparently it's a temperance token from around 1840, known as the "man drinking from a well" token.
Obverse: "HOW SWEET FROM THE GREEN MOSSY BRIM TO RECEIVE IT / AS POISED ON THE CURB / IT INCLINED TO MY LIPS."
Reverse: "TEMPERANCE / LEADS TO / HEALTH WEALTH / HAPPINESS / AND LONG LIFE" All surrounded by "PLEDGED TO USE NO INTOXICATING DRINK AS A BEVERAGE".

- Brian

View attachment 1990960 View attachment 1990961 View attachment 1990962 View attachment 1990963 View attachment 1990964
View attachment 1990966
Congrats! Nice finds 👍🏻

Hvactech19

Oct 28, 2019
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Predator 3, AT MAX, EQUINOX 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Anyway, at the farm I found two more buttons that are really exciting to me:

My questions:

Earlier that morning, before we detected at the farm, we hit a few other locations (because I didn't want to be that annoying guy that woke the farm owner up on maybe the one day when he sleeps in), and I found a weird token at one of them. It's the last picture and apparently it's a temperance token from around 1840, known as the "man drinking from a well" token.

- Brian

View attachment 1990960 View attachment 1990961 View attachment 1990962 View attachment 1990963 View attachment 1990964
View attachment 1990966
Nice job 👍

billb

Silver Member
Sep 23, 2010
New York
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Excalibur2,,silver sabre
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congratulations on your great recoveries

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice saves on the Reg. button and the Temperance Token. :occasion14:
I've detected a few Temperance/Orange halls over the years-slim pickings.
Must of too sober to loose items. :laughing7:

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Your other button may be an early type French Marines. 1600s/early 1700s. Did you find anything French on the site?
Wow that's an interesting suggestion! I've only spent a total of maybe 4 hours at this location so far, and I haven't found anything specifically related to the French - yet.
I see via a quick Google search the similarities between my button and some of the French Marines button examples out there. (But there are some differences too).
Also, without saying too much about the location what I can say is that this site is not directly along the French routes through NJ during the Revolutionary War - but that doesn't necessarily relate to what this button could be.

I do plan to keep searching the site and will update with new finds.

If anyone else has other input on the other button (the possible tombac?) please pass it along.

- Brian

Calabash Digger

Gold Member
Apr 18, 2016
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS II ,XP DEUS, EQUINOX 800, EXCALIBUR II,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice!

WG2020

Oct 9, 2018
SW Ohio
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
EDIT: I added a thimble that I'd forgotten about and a rosette probably from a saddle.

Anyway, at the farm I found two more buttons that are really exciting to me, plus two other cool items:

My questions:
3. Thimble. Not much to say about this one, but it's always cool to find a thimble.

4. Saddle rosette (?). I didn't think this item was much until I cleaned it up. It has a design on it and I think it once had writing in the banner around it. Any suggestions on what this actually could be?

Finally, earlier that morning - before we detected at the farm - we hit a few other locations (because I didn't want to be that annoying guy that woke the farm owner up on maybe the one day when he sleeps in), and I found a weird token at one of them. It's the last picture and apparently it's a temperance token from around 1840, known as the "man drinking from a well" token.

- Brian

View attachment 1990966

View attachment 1990972
View attachment 1990974
Brianc53,

Looks like you had another great hunt, those buttons are fantastic. Thanks for sharing. Good luck with your hunts. Walt

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The difference is the shank. Supposedly the early ones had that type of shank but the problem is some British buttons look similar from the face. That's why I asked if any early French finds were dug there. I would probably discount it as being French marines unless something changes. It seems cast a little different too. You're winner is the other button anyway!

OP
OP
brianc053

brianc053

Jan 27, 2015
Morris County, NJ
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The difference is the shank. Supposedly the early ones had that type of shank but the problem is some British buttons look similar from the face. That's why I asked if any early French finds were dug there. I would probably discount it as being French marines unless something changes. It seems cast a little different too. You're winner is the other button anyway!
Thanks for the additional info. Yeah I felt like that shank was unusual.
For what it's worth, I sent the pictures to someone on eBay that has sold multiple other buttons similar to this one, and that person claims it is an early French Marines button per your original suggestion Iron Patch. Thanks again for that idea.
As exciting as that possibility is, I'm the kind of guy that wants to know more - I want to know the provenance of the button, a plausible story for how it got to that location, etc. I will continue my research (because for me that's just as fun as the actual detecting!) and my detecting and let's see what else I can learn/find over time.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
After about 1720 they have a wire shank and when missing it leaves 2 points. Prior to that it's said it's the style of shank that is on your button. I have a couple of friends who have found these early types in French settled areas and also there's some posts on here somewhere from someone in the South having found some. There is far fewer of these that show up and every time they seem to be a little bit different so I have to question what is what and are some British buttons that just look similar on the face. I even question the only source I have ever seen for their being an early type. I've dug MANY and never a single type like yours. That said, my sites date from the later type but you'd think at least one early one would show up in the mix. Also, I've never closely examined them all and most are missing the shank so it would not be obvious, but if I had to bet I'd bet on every last one being the wire shank type. As for the person you talked to on ebay I'm guessing they are just saying it is knowing the basics. There's definitely a deeper conversation to be had about these and I'm not sure anyone has any solid reference material to back up there answer. Just the other day a friend of mine was telling me someone at an early French fort confirmed his, but again is this someone who really knows or is just making the simple observation is has the rim on the face so must be.

Arkansasrelichunter

Mar 5, 2015
Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Garrett At Pro
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

My questions:

- Brian

View attachment 1990966

View attachment 1990972
View attachment 1990974

ArfieBoy

Silver Member
Aug 11, 2011
N.E. Oregon
Detector(s) used
Compass X-70, Compass X-80, Compass X-90, Compass Judge 2, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great finds... and exciting, too! Congratulations! Good luck on the ID. Thanks for sharing!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread