Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I was attempting to diagnose a problem for another Deus 2 user in that his unit would not go into frequency scan mode. As I experimented with mine, I thought he might have taken his remote out of range of the coil. I took mine beyond the coil range and began a frequency scan and this is when my remote screen totally froze up. I couldn't power it down and it wouldn't respond to any button I pushed...and it was not locked in diving mode. I also noted that the headphones were also frozen. I couldn't power those down either. I read on the internet where another Deus 2 user had the same frozen issue during a frequency scan. He finally decided to disconnect and reconnect the battery which solved the problem.

Instead of going immediately to disconnecting the battery, I decided to try running the batteries totally down and see if that would allow the unit to reset. After a few hours, the headphones and coil shut down. The remote, with a much longer battery life, is still on and frozen since 8 PM 7 April. I intend to let this go until it too runs totally out of power. If that doesn't work, my next decision will have to be to disconnect the battery as the other man did. I really don't want to do that since it requires removal of the back plate....a potential warranty issue? I'll contact XP America to ask about that.

I notified XP HQs in France of this in hopes that a future update will address the repeated frequency scan problem. I'll keep this forum updated as this "crisis" unfolds.

Advice: don't try the frequency scan when the remote is out of range of the coil and or headphones.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
It worked!!! My Deus 2 remote is coming back to life👏🏻

I let the battery run all the way down then hooked the charging cable up to it and she sprung to life after 20 hours of being frozen. I’m just thankful that I didn’t have to disconnect the battery.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
JMC24, Sorry, your post was deleted, per our rules, we do not allow links to other forums.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan I hope these people APPRECIATE your HELPING EVERYONE !! I know i sure do !!!

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
One additional and positive point. By letting the battery run down instead of disconnecting it, I didn’t lose any of my custom programs.
I did read that those who chose to disconnect their battery lost their custom programs. I can’t personally verify the loss of custom programs after disconnecting the battery but I can verify that I didn’t lose anything. :-)

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Presently using Deus 2's & have Minelabs, Nokta's Tesoro's DEus's Have them all . Have WAY to many need to get rid of some
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One additional and positive point. By letting the battery run down instead of disconnecting it, I didn’t lose any of my custom programs.
I did read that those who chose to disconnect their battery lost their custom programs. I can’t personally verify the loss of custom programs after disconnecting the battery but I can verify that I didn’t lose anything. :-)
WOW ANOTHER GREAT POINT Dan !!! Thanks

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't figured out how to disconnect any battery...but no issues with mine. I still have it set on "idiot" mode. That's the mode made especially for me! I generally never tweak a machine.

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I haven't figured out how to disconnect any battery...but no issues with mine. I still have it set on "idiot" mode. That's the mode made especially for me! I generally never tweak a machine.
Smokey this is probably very good advice !!

smokeythecat

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2012
Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't know if its good advice or not. People look for an edge, BUT the PRO's who MAKE our machines need to out do the competition, so I have just trusted them. Case in point, one person was looking for silvers from a beach replenishment, he wasn't finding any but people all around him were. He had notched out those pesky high tones because as everyone knows they are always aluminum...not. But as the story goes, he figured it out and got some. My Rev War belt plate was literally walked over by at least 6 guys at a dig I was at. It was too good a tone. And just under the surface, so had to be aluminum. Not.

cudamark

Gold Member
Top Banner Poster
Mar 16, 2011
San Diego
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, Equinox 800/900, Fisher Impulse AQ, E-Trac, 3 Excal 1000's, White's TM808, VibraProbe, 15" NEL Attack, Mi6, Steath 920ix and 720i scoops, TRX, etc....
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mods should probably move this thread to the D2 section.

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
Took the D2 out to the beach at Cape Canaveral this morning. It’s first real run since the freezing incident and it ran perfectly…to include multiple frequency scans. 👍🏻😉

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was attempting to diagnose a problem for another Deus 2 user in that his unit would not go into frequency scan mode. As I experimented with mine, I thought he might have taken his remote out of range of the coil. I took mine beyond the coil range and began a frequency scan and this is when my remote screen totally froze up. I couldn't power it down and it wouldn't respond to any button I pushed...and it was not locked in diving mode. I also noted that the headphones were also frozen. I couldn't power those down either. I read on the internet where another Deus 2 user had the same frozen issue during a frequency scan. He finally decided to disconnect and reconnect the battery which solved the problem.

Instead of going immediately to disconnecting the battery, I decided to try running the batteries totally down and see if that would allow the unit to reset. After a few hours, the headphones and coil shut down. The remote, with a much longer battery life, is still on and frozen since 8 PM 7 April. I intend to let this go until it too runs totally out of power. If that doesn't work, my next decision will have to be to disconnect the battery as the other man did. I really don't want to do that since it requires removal of the back plate....a potential warranty issue? I'll contact XP America to ask about that.

I notified XP HQs in France of this in hopes that a future update will address the repeated frequency scan problem. I'll keep this forum updated as this "crisis" unfolds.

Advice: don't try the frequency scan when the remote is out of range of the coil and or headphones.
Hello, I read your post and the exact same thing happened to me today. Detector console frozen. No buttons work, can't even shut off unit.
I don't want to wait 2 weeks to power down, then hope it resets. I tried removing the lower cap, and with the 2 screws out, it won't come out easy and I don't want to break it. Is that where the battery access is ? What did you do to get Detector straight again?

Gare

Gold Member
Dec 30, 2012
Canton Ohio Area
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello, I read your post and the exact same thing happened to me today. Detector console frozen. No buttons work, can't even shut off unit.
I don't want to wait 2 weeks to power down, then hope it resets. I tried removing the lower cap, and with the 2 screws out, it won't come out easy and I don't want to break it. Is that where the battery access is ? What did you do to get Detector straight again?
So if i read this correct . The remote froze up when you tried to do a frequency scan with the coil to far away from the controller ??

OP
OP
ColonelDan

ColonelDan

Jan 19, 2014
Central Florida
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus II
Primary Interest:
It doesn’t take weeks to power it down. I think it took about a day of just letting it sit until it goes off on its own. When it does, simply plug it in to the charger and it will return to normal operation. Let it charge back up all the way and you’ll be ready to go again.

Diggitdaddy

Mar 7, 2020
Nebraska
Detector(s) used
XP Deus 2, White DFX, Fisher F4, White V3i, Anfibio Multi
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So if i read this correct . The remote froze up when you tried to do a frequency scan with the coil to far away from the controller ??
Yes the control remote froze up, I accidentally hit a button while doing the frequency scan. Nothing you can do to turn it off, or adjust. All buttons are inop.
Am taking the advice of Colonel Dan and Calabash and letting it discharge ( 20 hours at least ) and hopefully it will reset

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread