Was at my local coin shop yesterday.....

1235CE

May 23, 2006
The Beautiful Berkshires in Western Mass.
Detector(s) used
White's DFX
.....and a lady had some silver halves she was turning in.....The owner (very reputable) was telling her the difference between 90%er's and 40%er's......she had about 2 rolls of each (all JFK) and he gave her $3.25 per 90% and $1.25 per 40%.....does that sound right?.....just seemed a little low to me but I didn't say anything. The lady was very happy though.

HH all
Greg

Upvote 0

Showtime

Jul 4, 2006
Northern Virginia
I wouldn't think that was unreasonable. I haven't tried to sell any yet, but that's obviously at least 150% above face value, and someone else can do the calculation for the silver value. Also remember she was selling them wholesale, the dealer has to make a profit as well.

Emperor Findus Cladius

Bronze Member
Sep 2, 2004
TX
Detector(s) used
Whites Vision/V3 Spectra, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It seems to be to be just a little low for the 90% (not much tho), and very reasonable for the 40%.

Joliet Jake

May 10, 2005
Illinois
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
You pay a premium for the quick money at the coin stores. On e-bay, a roll of 1964 Kennedys now (second week of July), sells for about $80 with shipping (higher if the seller claims BU grade). At $3.25, she got $65, pretty good for a coin store.
The 40% rolls seem to go for about $30, so at 1.25 each, she got $25 per roll. I hope if I ever sell any, the coin dealer is as fair.
Of course, silver has been over $15 recently, so that was the time to sell, not now at $10-$11.

I always have this urge to walk up and start bidding when I see someone selling coins at the coin stores, lol.

ringding

May 5, 2006
Detector(s) used
Pioneer 505
Things are worth what people are willing to pay for them. The lady had every right to decline the offer and leave the store. Its capitalism and there is competition out there.

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You gotta remember that the coin dealer isn't going to pay anywhere near melt value on them. He just pays a certain percentage so that he still has room to make a profit on the sales.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread