Washington Treasure Ship

B

Bosun Dave

Greetings All,
I'm a newbie to this forum as a contributer, but not as a reader, so I think I have a pretty good idea what I'm about to get myself into here. If I can't talk about this among fellow treasure hunters then where can I, right? O.K. so here goes.... Over the last few months I've spent a lot of time researching a certain late 1800's wreck off the Washington coast. I've had extensive talks with the banks that were reported to have gold shipments aboard and have been able to verify 4.8M in todays dollars. As it turns out, Odyssey Marine is also interested enough to have done several expeditions looking for her because their research puts the value at 13M. They have all the resources you can imagine and major dollars to do it. But I have two things they DON"T have. I've got the position within a few miles, and, even better, the blessings of the marine sanctuary where she's located. The santuary has already said they'd pony up $500,000 AFTER the wreck is found for archialogical work. So, is there anybody out there who wants to help or knows of potential investors? I'd like to pull the rug out from under Odyssey before they lay claim to ALL the wrecks and rape the west coast of anything worth finding. I can give more details the anyone who's interested.
Cheers,
Bosun Dave

underc

Dec 13, 2005
Edgewood, WA
Bosun,

I know this is the next year from your post, But I BELIEVE that Odyssey already has the rights to ALL shipwrecks in that area. Be very careful about venturing into an area claimed by others. It may not be moral, in some eyes, but it is legal and I'm sure they have some pretty fancy-boy lawyers to back up their claim. I have researched this wreck, as well, and believe I know a promising location, but upon hearing this development, I gave up and moved on. My advice would be to contact them and ask who they have the "agreement" with and then contact that entity and find out the scope of their contract. It can be found at www.shipwreck.net under the shipwreck called "Seattle". There are many more to chose from in less treacherous waters and bottom conditions.

Happy hunting

Denis in Puyallup (Underc)

diggerww

Dec 12, 2007
That doesnt make any sense, how could they have rights to all shipwrecks in the area?

It also doesnt make sense that you would take the time to do all the research, and then give up on a rumor.

Did you check with Odyssey Marine,

or is this from the guy on the barstool next to you ?

nice AMS, what are you trying to say with that pic?

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
You cannot claim rights to any shipwreck unless you find said shipwreck, properly identify it and recover artifacts from it to justify your claim. It has to be claimed through the state.

underc

Dec 13, 2005
Edgewood, WA
Diggerww,

Not sure what you re implying here, but the flavor of it seems a bit skewed. I won't defend my choices for moving forward with a project or not... at least not in this forum. The research I have done will not go to waste. It's a guess just like everyone elses. I have learned a lot about research by going through the process over and over again. I am not a professional at this, just a hobbyist. If you have something to add that may be constructive, by all means, send it. If not, please don't second guess my intentions.

To the gentleman that believes he knows where it is... my belief is that the PACIFIC lies in deep water with canyons and a very rocky bottom. Finding a shipwreck in these conditions is not for the timid. The general location that the ORPHEUS collided with her is not where she is. She floated for some time and may have pieces strewn over a large area. My guess is... if you can find the boiler, you are there. I can offer you answers to any questions you might have, but my info is limited.

My statement about Odessy Marine owning the rights may be incorrect, but it is what I was told by a professional (not a bar stool goon, as implied). If they do not own the rights, I wish you happy hunting.

Denis in Edgewood.

allen_idaho

Dec 4, 2007
Culdesac, Idaho
I don't know if the S.S. Pacific would be worth a recovery effort. I just don't think there is enough to be found. I mean, this is what was on the official manifest.

- 2000 Sacks of Oats
- 10 Tons of Sundries
- 261 Hides
- 10 Cords Of Bolts
- 280 Tons of Coal
- 11 Casks of Furs
- 31 Barrels of Cranberries
- 2 Cases of Opium
- 18 Tons of Misc. Merchandise
- 6 Horses
- 2 Buggies
- 1 Strongbox containing $79,220

That plus whatever personal gold the 200+ miners MIGHT have been carrying probably wouldn't amount to enough to warrant a salvage attempt. But you never know. Maybe there is still a lot there.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread