We found a gold mine on our property

Niner

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm new at making posts here, but I've been lurking and reading your posts for some time, and I know there are some mining experts that post here.

When I get the hang of this place, I'll post some pics of this mineshaft, I'd like to show you folks a hardrock gold mine we just discovered on our property.

For many years nobody knew it was there until we happened upon it. It's flooded right now, and there's a rusty old ore cart stuck on the tracks about 100' inside. White quartz everywhere.

Cave-in about 280 feet in.

OP
OP
Niner

Niner

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
mr8pww.jpg

Seabees

Jan 3, 2014
The Golden State
Detector(s) used
-Whites & Minelab-
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey niner nice find, What state are you in? Send a pic. of that cart and of the quartz.

OP
OP
Niner

Niner

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Northern California.

This property is located in some of the most historically richest gold country that ever came out of the Sierras.

Only way we found this mineshaft opening was because we were clearing an old, overgrown road with a bulldozer then having a beer at the bottom of the ravine, and spotting a hole in the bank.

Upon further investigation, there is a full blown hard rock mine shaft in there.

OP
OP
Niner

Niner

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Why do you think it's a gold mine?"

Well, I could be wrong, but a strong indication is in the history of the area. Would you hammer into solid rock if you weren't following a gold vein in 1860?

I think not. There is also indication of quite a bit of hydraulic mining on the ravines of this property. At some point, maybe 150 years ago, the miners swarmed this property. I haven't taken a metal detector on the property yet, but have already found an Iron City pick axe.

OP
OP
Niner

Niner

Mar 9, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
67m4qp.jpg

Last edited:

jaws

Greenie
Dec 1, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Way cool man!
I totally am envious of your find, keep posting eye candy pics for us.

el padron

Oct 29, 2010
Southern California
Detector(s) used
The content of this space is contingent upon principals acceptance, execution and or final disposition / funding of an approved product endorsement agreement
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm on a phone right now, but I just wanted to check in and tell you I think that is absolutely amazing. You can certainly take your time will checking it out. Be careful and thanks for sharing
PS, I think just the cart itself should qualify for banner....

AU_Solitude

Feb 24, 2014
Vacaville CA
Detector(s) used
SDC2300, GBII, Geo Picks & Hammers
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
That is an epic find! Super envious I would be on an adrenaline high! "Northern California" is a pretty broad area - can you give us a county? Very cool finding a piece of history like that I would be doing a lot of research.

I would excavate that cave in if possible after putting up a few supports. But that's me.

Stay safe!

I'll help work it for 5% of findings :laughing7:

Last edited:

loco oro

Aug 15, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
very cool man, never take a short cut when your safty is involved, you mention a cave in 280 ft in, maybe the old timer is still in there?use the utmost caution!

Sheldon J

Jul 18, 2009
Battle Creek, Mi
Detector(s) used
Mine lab, Garrett, Bounty Hunter,
very cool man, never take a short cut when your safty is involved, you mention a cave in 280 ft in, maybe the old timer is still in there?use the utmost caution!
Huge +1!!! Air quality (rusting iron eats up oxygen), possible vertical shafts obscured by the water, and the cave in!!! Yeah I would be a giggly as a school girl in a boys school but BE SAFE nothing is worth your life!!!

Last edited:

aa battery

Gold Member
Oct 11, 2006
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
see the power of beer great story. looks like the one in coulterville

Clay Diggins

Silver Member
Nov 14, 2010
The Great Southwest
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
"Why do you think it's a gold mine?" Well, I could be wrong, but a strong indication is in the history of the area. Would you hammer into solid rock if you weren't following a gold vein in 1860? I think not. There is also indication of quite a bit of hydraulic mining on the ravines of this property. At some point, maybe 150 years ago, the miners swarmed this property. I haven't taken a metal detector on the property yet, but have already found an Iron City pick axe.

I'm not disputing whether it was a gold mine, I'm just curious what evidence led you to believe it was a gold mine. Now I'm left wondering why you think it was mined in 1860? Hardrock mines have been driven right up to the present day. The tools used in mining in the 1860's are very similar to the tools used today. Mine Carts are still in use today.

Your find is not a shaft as shafts are vertical, or near vertical. A common mistake among non-miners. Your discovery is an adit. Although adits were sometimes used in hydraulic mining the adit would have been well above the valley, not near the bottom.

If you don't know what a winze is you shouldn't ever enter a mine. If you do know what a winze is you would never enter an abandoned mine, particularly an old one.

To answer your question there are many minerals that were mined out of hardrock in the 1860's. For instance if your property is in Placer County there is a very good chance your find is a chromite mine. There are many other possibilities - including flourite, asbestos and diamonds. Those, and many more minerals, were all mined in the motherlode in the 1860's!

As I said, I'm not disputing that what you have found was a gold mine. Without further information there is just no way to know for sure what was actually mined there.

Please be careful and educate yourself about mines before you do any more exploring.

Good luck with your discovery! You have a real adventure ahead of you. :thumbsup:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions