We found a possible cache in a field! Seated coins all over.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few days ago my friend and I hit an older farm in hopes to detect the fields. We had already hit the front and side yards earlier last season with only a couple older coppers but many other period items like buttons, spoons and more.

This time we started in the grass and corn rows only to be a little discouraged by the lack of signals and tall corn stalks. We were swinging an area of field closer to the home and about to try door knocking another spot when my buddy said COIN! Seated dime in amazing condition. Then, about 20' away he pops another seated liberty coin. An 1876 quarter!

We started slowing down and tightening up our search and were rewarded with 8 total seated coins and 2 shield nickels! The only thing we can think of was this is a buried cache of coins that was displaced by a few ploughs of the field! Here are my finds for the morning. My friend found his 1876 dime, 1876 quarter, and I believe an 1860's half dime!

Sometimes the hobby catches you off guard!

Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• 20220221_155909.jpg
    20220221_155909.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 774
Upvote 80

Digger RJ

Gold Member
Aug 24, 2017
SW Missouri/Oklahoma
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030; Minelab Equinox 800;
XP Deus 2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A few days ago my friend and I hit an older farm in hopes to detect the fields. We had already hit the front and side yards earlier last season with only a couple older coppers but many other period items like buttons, spoons and more.

This time we started in the grass and corn rows only to be a little discouraged by the lack of signals and tall corn stalks. We were swinging an area of field closer to the home and about to try door knocking another spot when my buddy said COIN! Seated dime in amazing condition. Then, about 20' away he pops another seated liberty coin. An 1876 quarter!

We started slowing down and tightening up our search and were rewarded with 8 total seated coins and 2 shield nickels! The only thing we can think of was this is a buried cache of coins that was displaced by a few ploughs of the field! Here are my finds for the morning. My friend found his 1876 dime, 1876 quarter, and I believe an 1860's half dime!

Sometimes the hobby catches you off guard!

Thanks for looking and HH!
Awesome Finds!!! Wow!!! Congrats!!!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great Saves of the coins. Maybe there are some more lurking about in this same area.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thats sounds like a great day right there. Congrats. Im gonna guess towards someone having a bad day rather than a cache however.
Lol! I never even thought about it that way, good point! I do believe there is more at depth we can't get to. I guess it's hard to know for sure.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nice finds! I believe the half with a hole is a love token worn by a civil war soldier. I found one like it along with 2 bullets a soldier dropped while sitting on a hillside.
The holed dime? Perhaps and that would make it that much better! Congrats on your love token that is an incredible piece of history.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Great Saves of the coins. Maybe there are some more lurking about in this same area.
Thanks! We do believe there is a lot more to be found there. I dug my dime at depth and one quarter was on the 10" range so there has to be some deeper locked in the iron! Hope the owner will plough this area up.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread