We found a possible cache in a field! Seated coins all over.

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
A few days ago my friend and I hit an older farm in hopes to detect the fields. We had already hit the front and side yards earlier last season with only a couple older coppers but many other period items like buttons, spoons and more.

This time we started in the grass and corn rows only to be a little discouraged by the lack of signals and tall corn stalks. We were swinging an area of field closer to the home and about to try door knocking another spot when my buddy said COIN! Seated dime in amazing condition. Then, about 20' away he pops another seated liberty coin. An 1876 quarter!

We started slowing down and tightening up our search and were rewarded with 8 total seated coins and 2 shield nickels! The only thing we can think of was this is a buried cache of coins that was displaced by a few ploughs of the field! Here are my finds for the morning. My friend found his 1876 dime, 1876 quarter, and I believe an 1860's half dime!

Sometimes the hobby catches you off guard!

Thanks for looking and HH!

Attachments

• 20220221_155909.jpg
    20220221_155909.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 774
Upvote 80

Florida Finder

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2020
Southern States of America
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
AT Max
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
A few days ago my friend and I hit an older farm in hopes to detect the fields. We had already hit the front and side yards earlier last season with only a couple older coppers but many other period items like buttons, spoons and more.

This time we started in the grass and corn rows only to be a little discouraged by the lack of signals and tall corn stalks. We were swinging an area of field closer to the home and about to try door knocking another spot when my buddy said COIN! Seated dime in amazing condition. Then, about 20' away he pops another seated liberty coin. An 1876 quarter!

We started slowing down and tightening up our search and were rewarded with 8 total seated coins and 2 shield nickels! The only thing we can think of was this is a buried cache of coins that was displaced by a few ploughs of the field! Here are my finds for the morning. My friend found his 1876 dime, 1876 quarter, and I believe an 1860's half dime!

Looks like a nice cache recovery. Congratulations on your finds!

eyemustdigtreasure

Silver Member
Mar 2, 2013
California
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug Pro
Tesoro Cibola
Nokta Pointer; Phillips SHS5200 phones
Nokta Macro SIMPLEX +
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

Hey, that’s Banner find for sure!
I’m going to watch your posts after this - keep digging…!

devldog

Silver Member
Mar 9, 2012
Georgia
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT ALL PRO, Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Thanks! We do believe there is a lot more to be found there. I dug my dime at depth and one quarter was on the 10" range so there has to be some deeper locked in the iron! Hope the owner will plough this area up.
I 'd be like a Hawk sitting atop of a power line alongside of a mice infested field.

lenmac65

Silver Member
Jul 28, 2009
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Equinox 800 (as of 10/2019)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Awesome finds for sure! Any chance of you posting a picture of the reverse side of those beauties? Congrats and best wishes for continued good luck.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Congrats on the silver, certainly a day to be remembered for many moons.

The holed dome was probably a coin that was strung/sewn into the lining of a coat for safe keeping.
Usually a Love Token will be inscribed on one side, or have the opposing bend in the coin.
To put a providence of it being a Civil War Love Token, I can't see it.

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Congrats on the silver, certainly a day to be remembered for many moons.

The holed dome was probably a coin that was strung/sewn into the lining of a coat for safe keeping.
Usually a Love Token will be inscribed on one side, or have the opposing bend in the coin.
To put a providence of it being a Civil War Love Token, I can't see it.
Thanks Pepper! I agree on the CW token/dime.

pepperj

Gold Member
Feb 3, 2009
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus, Deus 2, Minelab 3030, E-Trac,
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Sweet looking mitt full.
Good write up on the quarter.
Just the dime and the quarter are a different toning to them, was your buddy's clean or toned?

OP
OP
HighVDI

HighVDI

Silver Member
Feb 16, 2017
Pa
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Sweet looking mitt full.
Good write up on the quarter.
Just the dime and the quarter are a different toning to them, was your buddy's clean or toned?

Shows all the finds.

I started rolling my camera the moment I got into my first quarter signal. I knew something was going on.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread